The Student Room Group

OCR MEI M1 (discussion)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by MrDSL
there is no g in the question. tension pulling the trolleys is 50 Sin 25, resistance is 20N so
50Sin25 - 20 = 18a (N2L)

thats a different question... the model changed
Reply 41
I thought Q1 was 8.6 not 18.6?
Original post by MrDSL
Q8) 25N is ok, the question only asked for magnitude, did not specify direction

Q6i) *correction
s = 4i t - 2j t - 3j

Then -25N is just dead wrong.
Reply 43
Original post by bear54

i got -8.6

v=11+(-9.8x2)
v=11-19.6
v=-8.6

+/- 8.6 should get the mark
Reply 44
Original post by Polioz
i got -8.6

v=11+(-9.8x2)
v=11-19.6
v=-8.6

+/- 8.6 should get the mark

But there was no mention of time, the distance was 2.4
so the equation is V^2=u^2+2as
Reply 45
Original post by bear54

this is what I did, I did V^2=(11)^2+2(-9.8)(2.4) which equals 73.96, sq root it and you get 8.6.
Reply 46
Original post by James4821
Thank you for your response, very helpful. I would agree with you here, since my numbers still come out as s = 8, i think its a ratio thing as in with the correct ratio of u and a the answer will always come out as s = 8, so surely they cannot mark mine wrong?
also what were the directiosn for u and a?
Many thanks...

was a=-0.125, i used s=8,u=2.25,a=?,t=32, then subbed in, im guessing this is completely wrong though.
Original post by Wezzler
was a=-0.125, i used s=8,u=2.25,a=?,t=32, then subbed in, im guessing this is completely wrong though.

a = 0.125, u = -1.75, v = 2.25, because it's initially at A and moving to B. Yours is correct for moving from B to A.
Reply 48
Original post by Bakes0011
a = 0.125, u = -1.75, v = 2.25, because it's initially at A and moving to B. Yours is correct for moving from B to A.

Yay, got the same, wonderful.
Reply 49
Original post by bear54

lool woops my bad i was trying to remmember the question off the top of my head and remembered the time I accidently worked out, yep I did the V^2=U^2+AS equation like you did.
Reply 50
what do you peeps think the grade boundaries will be like? I think this was a relatively easy paper?
60 or 61/72 for an A maybe? In my opinion this was the easiest test so far in m1 and the highest grade boundaries i have seen were 60ish...... some people in my college did find it hard though, so I am still hoping for LOW grade boundaries.. i need 90%+ ums in m1 as I floppped c2..
I really want to verify this, for question 4 I did it then realised I may have missed something crucial.

If the force P is horizontal, then did you need to split that into its component forms to find the side pointing up the slope to negate the (15g)sin20 pushing the block down the slope, then find the hypotenuse of the triangle with that side length for P?

Or was P just equal to (15g)sin20?

Cause I've spoken to about ten people (most of whom are pretty clever) who claim that P was simply (15g)sin20. But that doesn't seem to make sense?!?!?! Help!!!
Reply 52
Original post by lawrence2jones
I really want to verify this, for question 4 I did it then realised I may have missed something crucial.

If the force P is horizontal, then did you need to split that into its component forms to find the side pointing up the slope to negate the (15g)sin20 pushing the block down the slope, then find the hypotenuse of the triangle with that side length for P?

Cause I've spoken to about ten people (most of whom are pretty clever) who claim that P was simply (15g)sin20. But that doesn't seem to make sense?!?!?! Help!!!

I think I did Pcos20=15gsin20, then divided by cos20 to get P
Reply 53

i got P as 15gsin20..i dunno if its right but im thinking that because the mass was in equilibrium the horizontal force P has to equal the horizontal component of the weight which is 15gsin20...hope its right lol

It shouldn't make sense :wink: It's wrong.
Reply 55
It shouldn't make sense :wink: It's wrong.

**** that means I labeled forces wrong aswell ... great 5 marks lost as i did P as parallel, dyu think I would get any method marks?.... here was me thinking i had 90%+ minimum -_-
Reply 56
what do you think the grade boundaries will be?? any ideas?
Reply 57

oh damn, will i get some method marks?
Reply 58
i ****ed up q4 ii) + q8 v) =/ i ended up with a tension of 53N and v = 22.6 :frown: can anyone explain question 8v) to me?
Original post by bear54

Same! I used V^2 = U^2 + 2AS

U=11 A=-9.8 S=2.4 V=?

= 8.6

anyone else?

How do you work out the last question, it really confused me! x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending