The Student Room Group

Need help on what to do to improve on my a levels!

Hey I'm in year 12 and studying maths physics and computer science.
We recently had our mocks and I really didn't do too well in maths or physics!
I received a C in maths and a C/D in physics but am wanting to get A/A* by the summer exams. I'm now studying now nearly every day for around 3-4 hours but its a lot of "catching up" but I'm not sure on how to revise physics properly? Right now
I'm watching Zphysics and Science shorts videos, making notes and doing the PMT questions. For maths I'm watching TLmaths, making notes and then attempting PMT questions. I'm not sure if this is a best thing to do and if I'm on the right track but I am willing to put in the effort!!

I'm mainly looking for tips and would love some advice!
Reply 1
hey, im in yr 13 doing physics and maths as well. I think you're pretty much doing the right thing by working through questions and the videos are for sure good for content learning :smile:
the tough thing with physics is usually the wording ince sometimes questions are written interestingly so its good going through past exam paper questions (can find on PMT or on your exam boards page) also making sure you revise definitions, I like using the definitions pages that you can find on PMT (organised per module) or i know you should be able to find find ones (with all the definitions alphabetically) online (i know theres an OCR AS and A-Level definitions booklet) , both which have the exact wording that the exam boards like which is super useful, i used them to help revise for mocks especially since the wording is very specific for the physics laws.
For maths as well i like refering to the PMT cheat sheets in each chapter since they go through the steps for all the calculations and are good for refreshing your memory on topics you might be unsure of
it seems your doing the right thing, also make sure, if you have your mock papers back, especially to work most on the topics you lost the most marks on or those "silly mistake" questions as those are the ones you nwant to make sure you absolutely nail down as those are easily goin to be at least 10-15 marks that could be the difference to even just push your grade up by one :smile:
goodluck on your revision <3
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by bruhtube123
Hey I'm in year 12 and studying maths physics and computer science.
We recently had our mocks and I really didn't do too well in maths or physics!
I received a C in maths and a C/D in physics but am wanting to get A/A* by the summer exams. I'm now studying now nearly every day for around 3-4 hours but its a lot of "catching up" but I'm not sure on how to revise physics properly? Right now
I'm watching Zphysics and Science shorts videos, making notes and doing the PMT questions. For maths I'm watching TLmaths, making notes and then attempting PMT questions. I'm not sure if this is a best thing to do and if I'm on the right track but I am willing to put in the effort!!

I'm mainly looking for tips and would love some advice!

Have you tried Dr Frost or MathsMadeEasy?

Which board are you studying for Maths?
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
Have you tried Dr Frost or MathsMadeEasy?

Which board are you studying for Maths?

I haven't tried Dr Frost since GCSE and I haven't heard of MathsMadeEasy. How do you think I should incorporate them into my maths revision? Would you be able to send me a link for MathsMadeEasy, I can't seem to find it ;-;.

I'm doing OCR MEI (B) for maths , AQA for physics and OCR for Computer Science.
Thanks!
Reply 4
Original post by MP_25
hey, im in yr 13 doing physics and maths as well. I think you're pretty much doing the right thing by working through questions and the videos are for sure good for content learning :smile:
the tough thing with physics is usually the wording ince sometimes questions are written interestingly so its good going through past exam paper questions (can find on PMT or on your exam boards page) also making sure you revise definitions, I like using the definitions pages that you can find on PMT (organised per module) or i know you should be able to find find ones (with all the definitions alphabetically) online (i know theres an OCR AS and A-Level definitions booklet) , both which have the exact wording that the exam boards like which is super useful, i used them to help revise for mocks especially since the wording is very specific for the physics laws.
For maths as well i like refering to the PMT cheat sheets in each chapter since they go through the steps for all the calculations and are good for refreshing your memory on topics you might be unsure of
it seems your doing the right thing, also make sure, if you have your mock papers back, especially to work most on the topics you lost the most marks on or those "silly mistake" questions as those are the ones you nwant to make sure you absolutely nail down as those are easily goin to be at least 10-15 marks that could be the difference to even just push your grade up by one :smile:
goodluck on your revision <3

Ahh I'm glad I'm on the right track! And yeah, I'm creating flashcards on anki with the "cloze" feature to get down the correct terminology. I will be attempting the larger past papers once I finish all of the content but for now its just the end of topic questions. I am doing AQA for physics and OCR MEI (B) for maths if this makes any difference . As of now, I am just slightly worried i started too late but i guess better late than never!!

Thanks!!
Reply 5
Original post by bruhtube123
I haven't tried Dr Frost since GCSE and I haven't heard of MathsMadeEasy. How do you think I should incorporate them into my maths revision? Would you be able to send me a link for MathsMadeEasy, I can't seem to find it ;-;.

I'm doing OCR MEI (B) for maths , AQA for physics and OCR for Computer Science.
Thanks!

There aren't many specific resourcse for MEI sadly.

https://mmerevise.co.uk/a-level-maths-revision/ nothing specific for MEI

https://mmerevise.co.uk/a-level-physics-revision/

Quick Reply

Latest