The Student Room Group

Is 1GB enough data for an Iphone?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Agent Smirnoff
Oh I see. :beard: I seriously never knew that you couldn't do that over 3G. I do think the Amazon Kindle cannot download large books through 3G and require Wi-Fi or you to fiddle about with it so it allows it to work :smile:

Sounds more like a network thing really, i've downloaded apps over 3G before.
I'm on Orange and I only get 500mb. Last year I couldnt get internet in my room as the wireless signal was **** so I used my iphone for watching tv, films etc on 3g and never went over and I was using it for ages. Its more than enough.
Original post by richwhite

interesting :smile: What network are you with?
Reply 23

Hmm..... I don't know. Maybe as I am not sure about network faults etc..... Not a big issue. Just a bit annoying. I know about your neg btw :sly:

Original post by Helpful_Charlie
Preach.

:smug:
Reply 24

I'm pretty sure it's Apple who imposed the size limit, nothing to do with the networks but like mentioned above, you can download apps < 20mb no problemo :smile:
Reply 25
With GiffGaff it is :sly:

T - Mobile claims it is now "unlimited" But that is more likely to be a load of horse **** tbh.

Try GiffGaff they got good deals!

Oh I think GiffGaff would be even better if it offered tethering free or even just like 500mb a month allowance for tethering.

About Tmobile - they do some good deals for other phones - I have an Android phone with them and get 3GB a month which is more than enough.
Also I can actually go over this 3GB and it is indeed free - only cost is that after the 3GB they make your speeds lower. So it is unlimited in a way.
Reply 26
Original post by itchy and scratchy
I'll be ordering an iphone later, but I'm undecided on whether I should go for the plan with 1GB of internet data, or unlimited to be on the safe side.

I have an ipod touch, and while at home I'll connect to the home wifi. I do think I'll make good usage of the apps though. At the moment I am using less than 250mb on my blackberry, but I reckon I'll be fiddling around on my iphone more.

Would 1GB be sufficient?

What do you plan to do on the iPhone?

I have one, knowing I don't have a limit I don't restrict my own access to the internet. I download so far about 5 gig a month, but thats mainly due to tethering with my computer when I do need to which is part of my tariff so I don't pay extra to do that.

Question really is what you think you will be doing, if your going to be streaming some tv on it, then maybe unlimited might be needed, otherwise the other caps will probably suffice.

If you use 250 mb on your blackberry probably best for you to go onto an unlimited one, i only used to use about 50mb on my blackberry, but I became a more heavy user as soon as i got my iPhone.
Reply 27
No not really. :no: I have a GiffGaff sim so I get Unlimited texts, Unlimited Internet and 250 Minutes of calls all for £10 top up andd it lasts for a whole month (then it expires)

You can turn off data traffic yes. But I don't think that can be done on an iPod or iPhone. On those you just got to switch off the capabilities of recieving signals by activating airplane mode.

Not so. On an iPhone you can turn off 3G, all Mobile Data, or just Data Roaming (so no usage when abroad). Those settings are hidden on the iPod Touch (unless you jailbreak and mess with the plists' requiredCapabilities, but I won't go into that:P)
Reply 28
Original post by Andy Ftw
I'm pretty sure it's Apple who imposed the size limit, nothing to do with the networks but like mentioned above, you can download apps < 20mb no problemo :smile:

It is indeed an Apple restriction, nothing to do with network carriers. They want you to use their nice expensive Internet.
Reply 29
Original post by Andy Ftw

That makes complete sense, i actually almost put it sounds more like Apple but wasn't sure they could do that.
Reply 30
Original post by aleathiel
interesting :smile: What network are you with?

Three
Thanks for your input guys.

I'll be browsing the internet quite a bit, and downloading apps. After reading your posts I don't think I'll use up to 1GB a month, but I am still considering the one plan with three, - 2000 mins, 5000 texts, and all you can eat data does sound tempting!!
Unlimited isn't actually unlimited, it's 'unlimited' under fair usage policy. 3 offer 1GB as unlimited, most of the others now offer 500MB as unlimited.

Nope. Three offer unlimited as unlimited.

Original post by Burgch
Streaming is a waste of time over most 3G networks.

I disagree. I managed to watch live TV via 3G a fair bit, or stream things off iPlayer / spotify etc

Well this is relatively new, 'unlimited' is still broadly considered 500MB-1GB.

In any case, 1GB is ample. To get near that on 3G you'll be caining your battery all the time.

It isn't that new. They have been offereing it for around 8 months now.
And personally, I disagree. This is my third month with Three and I have probably used around 10GB in total.
Although as I said, I tend to use data a lot.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by WelshBluebird
Nope. Three offer unlimited as unlimited.

I disagree. I managed to watch live TV via 3G a fair bit, or stream things off iPlayer / spotify etc

It isn't that new. They have been offereing it for around 8 months now.
And personally, I disagree. This is my third month with Three and I have probably used around 10GB in total.
Although as I said, I tend to use data a lot.

So you're averaging 3.3GB a month? Are you on the One plan or being charged crazy amounts each month?
So you're averaging 3.3GB a month? Are you on the One plan or being charged crazy amounts each month?

One plan.
As I said, I do tend to use data a lot though.
Streaming stuff from BBC iPlayer / TV catchup / Sky Mobile TV, downloading podcasts, downloading apps (my iPhone is jailbroken so I have installed a tweak that bypasses the 20MB limit apple sets) etc :smile:.
Reply 35
One plan.
As I said, I do tend to use data a lot though.
Streaming stuff from BBC iPlayer / TV catchup / Sky Mobile TV, downloading podcasts, downloading apps (my iPhone is jailbroken so I have installed a tweak that bypasses the 20MB limit apple sets) etc :smile:.

How do you do that without being constantly plugged into a charger? I mean the iPhone is hardly known for outstanding battery life at the best of times
How do you do that without being constantly plugged into a charger? I mean the iPhone is hardly known for outstanding battery life at the best of times

To be fair, whenever I do that it is usually when I am travelling by train. A lot of the trains I use have power sockets on them. And I have an external battery pack that I use a fair bit too.
Reply 37
To be fair, whenever I do that it is usually when I am travelling by train. A lot of the trains I use have power sockets on them. And I have an external battery pack that I use a fair bit too.

Ah ok. I have yet to find a train that has a power socket :mad:
the HTC phones have much better battery life now.
easily

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending