The Student Room Group

Social class prejudice and private schools in Britain

Back in the early 2000s, Edwardian politician Jacob Rees-Mogg said that state educated people are 'potted plants' and that only privately educated people should be allowed to run the country.

This is outright prejudice and is further evidence that Britain has always had a reputation for elitism.

For some reason, people who go to private school think they're better and superior to everyone else, when they haven't a clue what it's like to live in the real world.

Scroll to see replies

I think state school gives people more real world experience. The pupils meet people from more varied backgrounds.
Original post by username6653303
Back in the early 2000s, Edwardian politician Jacob Rees-Mogg said that state educated people are 'potted plants' and that only privately educated people should be allowed to run the country.

This is outright prejudice and is further evidence that Britain has always had a reputation for elitism.

For some reason, people who go to private school think they're better and superior to everyone else, when they haven't a clue what it's like to live in the real world.

Both private and state schools contain all manner of people. I wouldn't base my opinion of 7% of all school students on what JRM has said, he's hardly typical even for those who went to private schools.
Reply 3
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
I think state school gives people more real world experience. The pupils meet people from more varied backgrounds.

While one can argue that this is the case, the reality is that practical outcomes show us that private school students dominate society where it matters. This suggests that even if state schools can match educational outcomes and provide more 'real world' experience, secondary factors like networking and attitude are more important in raw outcomes.

Given the choice, i would still send my future prodgeny to a private school or failing that, grammar school.
Reply 4
Original post by SaucissonSecCy

I wouldn't say that. People who go to state schools have real world experience because they live in the real world. What they don't get which the privately educated get in buckets is cultural capital. The trips to the theatre, ballet and opera. The trips to Iceland to see geography in action. The opportunity to learn a musical instrument. And in extreme cases, the opportunity to study pointless subjects like classics, ancient Greek and Latin. And it is these markers that the upper class use to delineate what it is to be upper class. Ability and skills have nothing to do with it as we have seen from our absolutely hopeless government of the last 13 years.
Original post by hotpud
I wouldn't say that. People who go to state schools have real world experience because they live in the real world. What they don't get which the privately educated get in buckets is cultural capital. The trips to the theatre, ballet and opera. The trips to Iceland to see geography in action. The opportunity to learn a musical instrument. And in extreme cases, the opportunity to study pointless subjects like classics, ancient Greek and Latin. And it is these markers that the upper class use to delineate what it is to be upper class. Ability and skills have nothing to do with it as we have seen from our absolutely hopeless government of the last 13 years.

I mean I got to learn a musical instrument in state school (I was forced into doing this against my will and you had to pay for the lessons but that’s besides the point) and things like ski trips (I can’t remember the country) were offered (had to pay for the ski trip).
Reply 6
Original post by Talkative Toad
I mean I got to learn a musical instrument in state school (I was forced into doing this against my will and you had to pay for the lessons but that’s besides the point) and things like ski trips (I can’t remember the country) were offered (had to pay for the ski trip).

Sure. But when you compare that to the offering of your average private school, it is bobbins. If you pop to my local private Grammar School on a Saturday morning (my son has swimming lessons there) it is heaving with all manner of netball, football, rugby, hockey, cricket and more besides, all included in the £8k a term prices. They also have two hour lunches so that students can engage in proper extra-curricular activities rather than the 30 minute vague attempts you get in regular state schools.
Original post by hotpud
Sure. But when you compare that to the offering of your average private school, it is bobbins. If you pop to my local private Grammar School on a Saturday morning (my son has swimming lessons there) it is heaving with all manner of netball, football, rugby, hockey, cricket and more besides, all included in the £8k a term prices. They also have two hour lunches so that students can engage in proper extra-curricular activities rather than the 30 minute vague attempts you get in regular state schools.

That is true (I’ve seen some private schools (based on their website) that get the same 45 minute lunch break that state schools do though).

You get what you pay for I guess. £8K a term is too much, I’d only pay that much a term if a had no other choice (because all of the local state schools were trash) or if it’s for university.

In some countries it is normal to have a 2 hour lunch break, France being the example that instantly springs to mind but I’ve never seen a 2 hour lunch break in the UK unless you could university.
Reply 8
That is true (I’ve seen some private schools (based on their website) that get the same 45 minute lunch break that state schools do though).

You get what you pay for I guess. £8K a term is too much, I’d only pay that much a term if a had no other choice (because all of the local state schools were trash) or if it’s for university.

In some countries it is normal to have a 2 hour lunch break, France being the example that instantly springs to mind but I’ve never seen a 2 hour lunch break in the UK unless you could university.

It's interesting that you make the point about being willing to pay university. Arguably even despite it's statistical importance, you get far more in education terms out of your schooling.
Original post by Rakas21
It's interesting that you make the point about being willing to pay university. Arguably even despite it's statistical importance, you get far more in education terms out of your schooling.

Ideally I wouldn’t be willing to pay that much money for university either but I’d do it if I had no choice (if I choose to remain in the UK rather than move to another European country so I’ll have to potentially pay big bucks go to university).

If I had to choose between paying £24K a year for my child to go to university (assuming that my child wanted to go to university) vs £24K a year to send them to private school, I’d choose university, the child can go to a state school instead and I can save that money up for things like university, holidays, savings account (for us), mortgage etc.
Reply 10

Well, just for comparison, state school students pay around £4k to £4.5k per year for their education.
Original post by hotpud
Well, just for comparison, state school students pay around £4k to £4.5k per year for their education.

The difference is big. I can definitely see the difference in the quality of education and the schools though.
Reply 12
The difference is big. I can definitely see the difference in the quality of education and the schools though.

True, but here is something to separate the cat from the pigeons.

Private schools don't necessarily hire trained teachers

Parents who have a monetary vested interest in their children are more likely to ensure their children do homeworks and work hard towards their education

Private schools set their own curriculum which might not necessarily draw on the latest educational research or thinking

Just because you pay and arm and a leg does not necessarily mean you are accessing the best education. For me, city schools that take the poorest in society and give them a future are way better educationally than private schools by every conceivable measure.

Anyone can take a rich privileged brat and point them them at x10 9s and x5 A*s. The real heroes are those who take kids with nothing and get them a handful of GCSEs and a future.
Original post by hotpud
True, but here is something to separate the cat from the pigeons.

Private schools don't necessarily hire trained teachers

Parents who have a monetary vested interest in their children are more likely to ensure their children do homeworks and work hard towards their education

Private schools set their own curriculum which might not necessarily draw on the latest educational research or thinking

Just because you pay and arm and a leg does not necessarily mean you are accessing the best education. For me, city schools that take the poorest in society and give them a future are way better educationally than private schools by every conceivable measure.

Anyone can take a rich privileged brat and point them them at x10 9s and x5 A*s. The real heroes are those who take kids with nothing and get them a handful of GCSEs and a future.

That it true, not all private schools are good in the same way that not all state schools are bad, but you can definitely see the difference between some private schools and state schools.

Really?

I think my school offers far more than the local Private school - good A level results for a start! The only differenc is they have lessons on a Saturday [but this 'makes up' for longer holidays], We have a one hour lunch break.
Original post by hotpud

Most of that exists in my states school alongwoth better GCSE and A level results.
Original post by Muttley79
Really?

I think my school offers far more than the local Private school - good A level results for a start! The only differenc is they have lessons on a Saturday [but this 'makes up' for longer holidays], We have a one hour lunch break.

I’m talking about difference in the cost of going to a state school vs the cost of going to a private school, £24K a year vs £4K-£4.5K a year.

Not all private schools are bad or worse than state schools or vice versa it depends on the school but a part of me is more inclined to believe that private schools, selective schools, boarding schools and grammar schools are better though (on average, not in all cases obviously).

I had poor quality education in my Y7-Y11 school (see my reply about it in the other thread on schools). So not all state schools are good (my school for sixth form however was a whole different level, high quality education, no lazy teachers bar one or two you argue etc).
I’m talking about difference in the cost of going to a state school vs the cost of going to a private school, £24K a year vs £4K-£4.5K a year.

Not all private schools are bad or worse than state schools or vice versa it depends on the school but a part of me is more inclined to believe that private schools, selective schools, boarding schools and grammar schools are better though (on average, not in all cases obviously).

I had poor quality education in my Y7-Y11 school (see my reply about it in the other thread on schools). So not all state schools are good (my school for sixth form however was a whole different level, high quality education, no lazy teachers bar one or two you argue etc).

Grammar schools are state schools
Original post by Muttley79
Grammar schools are state schools

I'm aware of this, but I'm comparing those types of school private schools, selective schools, boarding schools and grammar schools etc to your standard comprehensive state school and that I'm inclined to believe that on average (not in all cases), they are better than your bog-standard comprehensive state school.
Reply 19
I'm aware of this, but I'm comparing those types of school private schools, selective schools, boarding schools and grammar schools etc to your standard comprehensive state school and that I'm inclined to believe that on average (not in all cases), they are better than your bog-standard comprehensive state school.

In terms of educational outcomes the average is actually not that different. The primary benefit to those types of schools is networking, attitude ECT..

Generally though I suspect that it's simply that the range in comprehensive schools is much larger. There are plenty of state schools in rural Wiltshire that probably do perform pretty well because you don't have a bunch of children born of immigrants or a large council estate stock while those in Leicester and Bradford are drawing in a much lower class cohort and parents less likely to push their children.

I recall a BBC show about grammar schools a whole ago that basically concluded that the losers in the state school system are not the A grade students who were likely smart or motivated enough anyway but the B/C/D grade students who in a private/grammar setting would have been pushed to A/B grades.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending