The Student Room Group

01001000 01101001

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
From a lerning point of View Proably start with VB.Net and then move on to C, otherwise C can be a bit of a leap
Reply 21
I think you are going about this the wrong way.

If you want to learn programming, it is probably best to find something to do.Think of a problem you want to solve with programming, and then learn the best language for the problem.
The methodology is exactly the same for whichever language is best for your problem, so there isn't really a 'best' language.

I happened to learn to program on VB6, because I joined someone's old school project that happened to be in VB6. People will tell you VB6 is a terrible language, which is true, but that did not stop me learning C++, Java, .NET (various) afterwards.
I learnt fastest with VB6 because it was on a project I was passionate about, and then I can rapidly pick up more 'useful' languages.

P.s. From my experience CS admissions tutors don't tend to favour one programming language over another. They might be curious if you have taught yourself Prolog, because most people don't come across it before university, but it doesn't make you a better Computer Scientist than someone who knows BASIC.
does anyone know any resources best for learning python?
Nooooooooo, start with Visual Basic it will get the ball rolling! Also if you want to learn some of the older languages like Cobol or Dos I'd give it a go. :biggrin:

Most school computers run XP so Dos is still useful! :tongue:
Reply 24
Original post by FiReFoX99
This is copied from yahoo answers but its right (nearly)

1 means positive and 0 means negative

the system is dived in columns
1|2|4|8|16|32|64|128|256|512 etc each column doubles

1|2|4|8|16|32|64|128|256|512
1|0|1 this would equal 5 because their is a 1 under the ones column and a 1 under the fours column and then you add together

1|2|4|8|16|32|64|128|256|512
0|0|0|1|0 |0 |1 | this would equal 72 because their is a 1 under the 8 column and a one under the 64 column
when you red binary zeros have no value only ones do

The only bit they got wrong is that the columns are usually backwards.

Certain groups of numbers, when interpreted by the computer (loose use of the word interpreted, there lots of other stuff going on) translate to letters, so the thread title of 01001000 01101001

actually translates to the letters H and I.

Its not that difficult once you get your head round the counting system :smile:

The other bit they got wrong is that '1 means positive and 0 means negative'. 1 and 0 have exactly the same meaning as in decimal notation.

An easy way to translate binary into text (assuming it's encoded in ascii) is to convert them into either hexadecimal or decimal, and look them up in an ascii table. I prefer using hex, because each 4 binary digits match up exactly to each hex digit, which means you only ever have to look at 4 bits at a time.

0100 => 4
1000 => 8

thus 01001000 = 0x48

0110 => 6
1001 => 9

thus 01101001 = 0x69

(0x in front of a number just shows it's in hexadecimal, rather than decimal.)

Then you just look up 0x48 and 0x69 in an ascii table, such as the one in the spoiler below:

Spoiler

And lo and behold, it says 'Hi'. Exciting stuff!!!!

Quick Reply