The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE Computer Science Paper 1 (J277/01) - 19th May 2023 [Exam Chat]

OCR GCSE Computer Science Paper 1 (J277/01) - 19th May 2023 [Exam Chat]

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.

Also, check out our article of student reactions to the exam - your comments on this thread might be on there!

Wishing you all the best of luck. :yy:

General Information
Date/Time: 19th May 2023/ PM
Length: 1h 30m
Paper 2 Exam Chat
(edited 10 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
has anyone got any predicted computer science papers
(edited 11 months ago)
Not sure if it's useful but I know there are some albums on Spotify and Itunes by 'Ray Chambers' which go over the theory side of things. Might be some useful content here.
Reply 3
my teacher said he expects something relating to AI to come up to test us on current affairs relating to technology, maybe could be the 8 marker?
Reply 4
AI came up last year don't think its likely, it could be drones or something like 3d printing.
Original post by raantaaro
my teacher said he expects something relating to AI to come up to test us on current affairs relating to technology, maybe could be the 8 marker?
Reply 5
Original post by Edgebug
AI came up last year don't think its likely, it could be drones or something like 3d printing.

drones is definitely a possibility but idk what id write for that 😭😭
Reply 6
They could be used for things like terrorist attacks and to look at confidential places or to spy on people(privacy), they could also be used by people who work in remote places, data collected must adhere to data protection act, design shouldnt infringe on copyright act(legal) It may be made cheaply so likely to break - leading to e-waste in landfill and seeps into soil, the battery needed for the drone - made of lithium- mining damages environment etc(environmental). people could be bullied as they dont have the newest tech, debt for parents wanting to afford it for child (ethical/cultural). All I could think of atm
drones is definitely a possibility but idk what id write for that 😭😭
Reply 7
Original post by Edgebug
They could be used for things like terrorist attacks and to look at confidential places or to spy on people(privacy), they could also be used by people who work in remote places, data collected must adhere to data protection act, design shouldnt infringe on copyright act(legal) It may be made cheaply so likely to break - leading to e-waste in landfill and seeps into soil, the battery needed for the drone - made of lithium- mining damages environment etc(environmental). people could be bullied as they dont have the newest tech, debt for parents wanting to afford it for child (ethical/cultural). All I could think of atm

THANK YOU SO MUCH thats so helpful
Reply 8
THANK YOU SO MUCH thats so helpful

If you want to practice how to approach 8 marker just go on any news website and go to the tech tab and find what u could possibly say if it were an exam q
Reply 9
Original post by Edgebug
If you want to practice how to approach 8 marker just go on any news website and go to the tech tab and find what u could possibly say if it were an exam q

thank you i have an awful teacher and ive never written an 8 marker or even done a full exam paper because he never taught us all the content 🙄 ive learnt it all myself now but i do not know how to structure an 8 marker
Reply 10
thank you i have an awful teacher and ive never written an 8 marker or even done a full exam paper because he never taught us all the content 🙄 ive learnt it all myself now but i do not know how to structure an 8 marker

It’s pretty much an evaluation question. You give as many points for and against and the issues (ethical, legal, cultural, environmental) they affect and in the end say “overall I believe using/not using thing is better as it has less downsides”. Pretty much give points for and against and conclude why using it or not using it is better. Wish you the best with all your exams
Reply 11
Original post by Edgebug
It’s pretty much an evaluation question. You give as many points for and against and the issues (ethical, legal, cultural, environmental) they affect and in the end say “overall I believe using/not using thing is better as it has less downsides”. Pretty much give points for and against and conclude why using it or not using it is better. Wish you the best with all your exams

thank you so much!!
Hi can anyone tell me what should we include in an 8 mark question?
and also are there any good websites you could use to get a 9
I got a 7 in paper 1 last time but I am aiming for a 8 or 9 in paper 1 since im rubbish in programming
Reply 13
Original post by Edgebug

What makes u think this? And do you revise from the cgp book?
Reply 14
Original post by Blobirama
What makes u think this? And do you revise from the cgp book?

Its very unlikely they will use a question that was used last year, they are most likely to pick something new and those are just my guesses (I am probably way off), and no I dont revise from a cgp book.
Reply 15
will the exam be sitin or online with a webcam? we can arrange on how to pass this.
Reply 16
Original post by selenyildiz
Hi can anyone tell me what should we include in an 8 mark question?
and also are there any good websites you could use to get a 9
I got a 7 in paper 1 last time but I am aiming for a 8 or 9 in paper 1 since im rubbish in programming

for an 8 marker include as many points for and against about legal, ethical, cultural, environmental and ethical issues as you can. Then state at the end whether it is better to use/not use whatever the question asked. Its pretty much an evaluation question
websites:csnewbs, isaac computer science (very in depth)
ytchannels: craig and dave, Mr brown cs, revise computer science
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 17
i can help you
Original post by Edgebug
for an 8 marker include as many points for and against about legal, ethical, cultural, environmental and ethical issues as you can. Then state at the end whether it is better to use/not use whatever the question asked. Its pretty much an evaluation question

that's perfect tysm
Reply 19
Original post by Edgebug

Are those pretty much all you use to revise?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending