The Student Room Group

How can anyone like Doctor Who?!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by animalnitrate
Yes, but Sherlock is already an existing thing, all Moffat is doing is taking the books and putting them on the screen. Doctor Who requires a lot more original thought from Moffat, which is probably why it's not as good.

Moffat's problem is being the head writer and making it too complex. As an ordinary writer he has written some of the best episodes in the reboot.

Original post by SpicyStrawberry
I enjoyed the series while Christopher Ecclestone and David Tennant was in it but started giving up after a while because it just got progressively worse. The new series with Matt Smith is ridiculous so I never bothered with it.

How can one say something is ridiculous if they have never watched it? Unless I misunderstood and you gave it a chance and then never bothered with it again?
Original post by BolloTheGorilla
How dare you deliver such blasphomy upon the mighty TSR sir!

Granted, some of the latter Classic series was shocking. I cannot stand the Sylvestor McCoy era and not a massive fan of Colin Baker's era either but prior to that, it was a brilliant tv series. Particularly Patrick Troughton through to Tom Baker imo.

I fail to see how anyone could possibly regard the reboot as superior to the original in any department other than the obvious exception of the far superior effects.

+ it makes all the difference to me :wink: maybe cause I grew up watching the new Doctor Who reboots rather than the classics. I gave them a go, I just couldn't follow.
Original post by Dorito
Seriously, it is one of the worst things I think I have ever seen.

I think I have seen 3 full episodes and each one was worst than the last. The acting is so over the top and good actors like David Tennant and Matt Smith seem to crumble and turn into blithering idiots, reeling off cliche after cliche. Granted, they can't be blamed for this, the script is weak. The special effects are laughable and the storylines are severely lacking as well as highly predictable.

I initially overlooked this and admittedly could see how children may enjoy it but I come on here and I see people raving about how good it is and my housemates are the same, they all claim it is brilliant. Doctor Who is an icon of British TV but that is no excuse for the terrible episodes being churned out nowadays. There was not a single thing I enjoy about the show and I find myself cringing in places because the dialogue is so poor. Three episodes is enough for me, I don't think I'll be wasting anymore time on it.

There are plenty of bad TV shows out there but usually I can see their appeal, this is not the case for Doctor Who.

Maybe I'm missing something, is it supposed to look low budget? Is the acting over the top on purpose? Am I missing some huge inside joke? Help me out guys!

It's definitely aimed a younger audience now, and with it pushing internationally (particularly in the US) it's becoming even more predictable and cliched. I think the main reason people stick with it is the long story arcs, finding out what will happen to him etc.
The initial reboot was good - you also have to remember that it's meant to be pretty clichéd, and the darker, emotional moments are still very well done imo.
Original post by SirMasterKey

How can one say something is ridiculous if they have never watched it? Unless I misunderstood and you gave it a chance and then never bothered with it again?

I watched all the new seasons up until Matt Smith joined, really disliked the way it had ended up and switched off.
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
I watched all the new seasons up until Matt Smith joined, really disliked the way it had ended up and switched off.

So you gave Matt Smith <5 minutes? Hardly fair to judge on that. I'd still give him a try. Try watching The Doctor's Wife, Vincent and the Doctor The God Complex. The three best MS episodes I feel.
Original post by SirMasterKey
So you gave Matt Smith <5 minutes? Hardly fair to judge on that. I'd still give him a try. Try watching The Doctor's Wife, Vincent and the Doctor The God Complex. The three best MS episodes I feel.

No... I watched about 3 episodes of the first series Matt Smith did before I decided not to bother. One bad episode isn't enough to stop watching a TV series you've watched for years. It was just awful, but that's my opinion.
Original post by Dorito
Seriously, it is one of the worst things I think I have ever seen.

I think I have seen 3 full episodes and each one was worst than the last. The acting is so over the top and good actors like David Tennant and Matt Smith seem to crumble and turn into blithering idiots, reeling off cliche after cliche. Granted, they can't be blamed for this, the script is weak. The special effects are laughable and the storylines are severely lacking as well as highly predictable.

I initially overlooked this and admittedly could see how children may enjoy it but I come on here and I see people raving about how good it is and my housemates are the same, they all claim it is brilliant. Doctor Who is an icon of British TV but that is no excuse for the terrible episodes being churned out nowadays. There was not a single thing I enjoy about the show and I find myself cringing in places because the dialogue is so poor. Three episodes is enough for me, I don't think I'll be wasting anymore time on it.

There are plenty of bad TV shows out there but usually I can see their appeal, this is not the case for Doctor Who.

Maybe I'm missing something, is it supposed to look low budget? Is the acting over the top on purpose? Am I missing some huge inside joke? Help me out guys!

That post is rep suicide. :wink:
Original post by Cheese_Monster
Hang on, let's make a distinction here.

The classic Doctor Who is shocking. The reboot with Russel T Davies, Christopher Ecclestone and David Tennant were fantastic (although there were some noticeable lazyily writen episodes i.e. 24, the David Morrisey xmas special). Matt Smith's first series was ok-ish, but now the programme is piss-poor, it has converted from a dramatic programme to something wholy predictable, uninspiring and pointlessly confusing. I believe Matt Smith is a good actor, but Steven Moffat is not as good as the legacy Davies left.

:zomg: blasphemy.

There are honestly millions of people who would disagree with you.
Reply 228
Original post by Hewitt
That post is rep suicide. :wink:

It is on this website, that's for sure.

I'll let my rep take the hit though, I needed to vent my frustration. :wink:
Original post by ch0llima
:zomg: blasphemy.

There are honestly millions of people who would disagree with you.

And here is one person who would disagree with the millions :wink:
Disliked the first episode, definitely too predictable, especially with Amy and Rory getting back together and very very domestic. Liked the new companion though! Just thought was a tad weird showing her in first episode but I'm hoping Moffett surprises me and pulls it out the bag with her in final episode. Hate him, but have to admire all the different angles he's tries and pulls off.

I shall continue watching, just purely the fact for seeing the finale >:] mwahaaha

The episode as a hole? I found it hard to concentrate, I kept switching off and got a bit bored. I thought it was also rushed - I don't think Moffett has the art of telling a story and keeping the action going at the same time. He just really concentrates too much on the back story and then rushes the action. Last time I checked, the dales wasn't that easy destroyed :/. I'm hating the fact they have bought in the dales every single series as well now, including when RTD was in charge. Wish they thought of new stories. Also, the fact the daleks seemed to be already there, destroying **** and being all superior without having any knowledge how! Was really putting me off (unless was shown at end of last series and I really weren't paying attention)

Anyone see the dinosaur episode too? I switched off even more for that one then the first episode, yet again finding it hard to concentrate.. *sighs*

Definitely prefer RTD, like it has been stated, just cannot forget, the stories seem abit rushed and Moffett mentions things from Amy and the doctor or even Rory, then it's never even mentioned or shown again e.g Amy's friends for one. I'm quite surprised that they even are travelling to a different world on these episodes so far, usually they just travel around Earth! I hate River Song, was okay it's Tennant but the more and more it went on I her story, the more and more I hated her. She's worse then Martha now. Blurgh. And also when is Jack going to be back in Doctor Who?! Although I can't really imagine him getting on with 11...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Snagprophet
I enjoy the concepts from Moffat. I feel like we're going somewhere exciting and new. The problem is the fillers and not a lot happens. Last series's story arc was awful, a complete wind up. Only The Doctor's Wife was good but this was because it had a good match of concepts and character building.

With RTD we were lucky to get an episode that wasn't the same modern day Earth/London setting. I didn't enjoy the drama of RTD, I felt it got in the way of introducing a new concept. I also hated Torchwood, it was basically an excuse to have gore and swearing and sex in the Doctor Who universe. It just seemed really bland, like a gimmick. The only episode I actually enjoyed was the cannibals one because I felt that an Earth-bound team of people were going to find problems revolving around internal Earth matters.

So you'd probably want more fillers of him gazing wistfully at Rose? The audience was getting sick of her. I'm glad they moved on. They started with an all new cast so what do you expect?

I loved Rose and the doctors relationship. Ruined it slightly with her coming back at end of series 4 and would of made it more 'heart wrenching' if Tennant just saw her at the end of his death. I liked Rose, I liked how depressed he was in series 3 because he lost her, blah blah blah. Showed he actually did have human emotions - even though didn't like to admit it
. It did come to a point with RTD that he was just doing stuff to make the audience happy e.g bringing Rose back, making the doctor kiss her. One of the cheesiest lines ever was "last time I stood on this beach, on the worse day of my life. What was the last thing you said to me?" definitely not RTD's best work.

Actually, it wasn't the writers choice, it was Billies, she wanted to leave so they had no choice but to move on.

I however, do not feel like I'm going somewhere new and exciting with Moffett. He just gets confused and keeps trying to hard, making the episodes rushed.

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Miracle Day
This is such a stupid post, mostly the last paragraph.

I'll start off by saying yes Elizabeth Sladen is dead but Sarah Jane is not. We need a conclusion there. Torchwood's Miracle Day happened after the crack in the wall issue was resolved and Amy and Rory would have been on Earth through it as Torchwood and Doctor Who run alongside eachother in time.

Of course we're supposed to compare them. And the obvious comparison is that Moffat has nothing on RTD and should not be allowed anywhere near a Doctor Who script ever again. Yes there is something stopping me liking episodes, because they're ****!

And right now it's just your words against mine, and by the looks of the thread my words are the concensus now.

Tbh, I agree with you. Absolutely awful! Hope they don't actually ever associate Torchwood: Miracle Day with Doctor Whi because that wasn't exactly great either. Think torchwood was ruined after: Children of Earth. Both shows was ruining out of ideas tbh >_<

Original post by Miracle Day
To be honest I never thought the Doctor-Rose crush storyline was prominent at all. It had very little affect on the storyline and I don't even know why you've refered to it as an issue? :s-smilie:

How can you not think it was prominent, it was more or less the basis for that entire series, and pretty much took up most of the final episode...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 234
Original post by Snagprophet

So you'd probably want more fillers of him gazing wistfully at Rose? The audience was getting sick of her. I'm glad they moved on. They started with an all new cast so what do you expect?

no, just some indication that it was in fact the same person. somewhere in there. deep,deep down. because as far as I could see there was absolutely no continuation. I don't want rose back in the show, but how exactly do you go from being head over heels in love with someone to apparently not remembering who they are? they could at least have explained that. have a link with martha, mickey, someone.
Original post by Dorito

It's quite funny at times and Matt Smith is just adorable. The monsters are pretty frightening some times, i really got scared by those statues that you can't close your eyes on and the Daleks are pretty bad. It definitely isn't a complete joke, but sometimes the story lines are too silly and the action is so quick i can't really follow what's going on. I like it but also the Amy Pond girl is a bit annoying, she's so kind of "look at me how cute and smart I am". Rory is nice though.
I agree, OP. I have never ever got the big deal with Doctor Who. I tried watching a few episodes to see what all the fuss was about, but I just couldn't get into it. Maybe it was simply because I didn't understand it but it just didn't do anything for me. And the acting can be appalling.

However, I do have a crush on Matt Smith, so I'd tolerate it for him :love:
it depends what doctor who episodes you watch guys some of the suck some of them are awesome.watch the 7th season it is awesome,do not watch david tennant though he is soo weird,too wierd for me
Reply 238
Original post by drphildog
it depends what doctor who episodes you watch guys some of the suck some of them are awesome.watch the 7th season it is awesome,do not watch david tennant though he is soo weird,too wierd for me

Did you not look at this before posting and realise the last comment was 3 years ago?!
I love Doctor Who.

I wouldn't call myself a Whovian, or a massive fan at least, but I've watched it ever since it rebooted when I was very young in 2005 - I've stuck with it ever since because my family watch it every Saturday night when it's on, so I've always watched it. The acting is good, the stories can be very good, and there's a certain vibe about it that makes it watchable (probably because it's one of the most famous British TV shows)

I also like Peter Capaldi as the Doctor, and I've liked all the Doctors incarnations so far, even Matt Smith as the Eleventh Doctor.

Quick Reply

Latest