The Student Room Group

Does carbohydrates cause acne?

Like white rice and white bread cause things like acne?
I generally thought white rice is healthy and i eat 50/50 bread with half white and hald brown. Has anyone gone on a low card diet or no carb diet and has it a postive effect on your acne?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Refined carbs, like white rice, and foods with a high sugar content like fizzy drinks, cakes and biscuits, can affect your skin and overall health.

Don't cut out carbs altogether as you need them in your diet, but it's better going for brown/wholemeal /wholegrain over white as the former has more nutrition; that's for rice, pasta, bread etc. And there's nothing wrong with the occasional treat if you eat healthily most of the time!
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Surnia
Refined carbs, like white rice, and foods with a high sugar content like fizzy drinks, cakes and biscuits, can affect your skin and overall health.

Don't cut out carbs altogether as you need them in your diet, but it's better going for brown/wholemeal /wholegrain over white as the former has more nutrition; that's for rice, pasta, bread etc. And there's nothing wrong with the occasional treat if you eat healthily most of the time!

Ive heard brown rice is worse than white rice. Its just a myth that brown rice is healthier.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Ive heard brown rice is worse than white rice. Its just a myth that brown rice is healthier.

Heard where, and how is brown rice unhealthy?
Reply 4
Its just a myth that brown rice is healthier.

Evidence?
Reply 5
Original post by black tea
Evidence?

It basically has arsenic in it which is bad for you, i watch joe rogan and i think he talked about how bad it was. I know he isnt a expert but arsenic really isnt good for u.
Reply 6
Original post by Surnia

Tbh i have cut them out im just getting carbs from fruits instead
Reply 7
Tbh i have cut them out im just getting carbs from fruits instead

So how are you getting sufficient starch and fibre in your diet?
Reply 8
It basically has arsenic in it which is bad for you, i watch joe rogan and i think he talked about how bad it was. I know he isnt a expert but arsenic really isnt good for u.

No, he's not an expert; enough said.

What about pesticides in fruit, then...?
Reply 9
Original post by Surnia

Im eating fruits, and nuts, vegtables.
Reply 10
Original post by Surnia
No, he's not an expert; enough said.

What about pesticides in fruit, then...?

Yh but ive researched it too and it really isnt good for u
Reply 11
Original post by Surnia

Original post by emmiconnor
Yes, it could be, I also had acne from carbohydrates, so I gave up all floury, sweet, various pastas and breads and went on a carbohydrate-free diet - the first three days were difficult, but when you see the result, you no longer want to eat anything like that

Did u cut fruit out from ur diet aswell? Because im eating fruit which ik has carbs
Reply 12
Yh but ive researched it too and it really isnt good for u

Link a source.

I don't know anyone who had died of arsenic poisoning from brown rice. I eat it and I'm fine!
Reply 13
Did u cut fruit out from ur diet aswell? Because im eating fruit which ik has carbs

When I did my military training the diet is high carb for energy. There was no choice and I ate white bread, chips, stodgy desserts, chocolate, got dirty and sweaty on my face - and my skin was great.

Yes, it affects everyone differently, but don't go cutting out healthy parts of a diet. See your GP.
Original post by Surnia
See your GP.

Don’t tell her to do that ffs. Doctors are busy enough.
Reply 15
Original post by TtttYyt
Don’t tell her to do that ffs. Doctors are busy enough.

Read the 'Welcome to Health' sticky; it states "Don't forget that it's always best to see a GP!"

There's someone here who is concerned about acne and their diet, the latter to the point where they think they can cut out whole food groups; do you think they'll get the best advice from influencers, an online chat site mostly populated by young teens or from a medical professional?
Isn't acne where Wile E Coyote gets his dynamite?
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Surnia
When I did my military training the diet is high carb for energy. There was no choice and I ate white bread, chips, stodgy desserts, chocolate, got dirty and sweaty on my face - and my skin was great.

Yes, it affects everyone differently, but don't go cutting out healthy parts of a diet. See your GP.

Nothing really worked for and i tried so many things. So i came accross jordan peterson and his daughter who tried the carnivore diet. The daughter had a terrible autoimmune disease and treatments froms doctors werent helping. Until she tried the carnivore diet she suddenly became a whole lot better. And it intruiged me because the carnivore diet helps inflammatory diseases so that why i wanted to try it for acne. Sorry the late reply lol
Nothing really worked for and i tried so many things. So i came accross jordan peterson and his daughter who tried the carnivore diet. The daughter had a terrible autoimmune disease and treatments froms doctors werent helping. Until she tried the carnivore diet she suddenly became a whole lot better. And it intruiged me because the carnivore diet helps inflammatory diseases so that why i wanted to try it for acne. Sorry the late reply lol

Everyone's skin is different. Certain foods might trigger your acne but might not trigger someone else's.
Reply 19
Original post by 5hyl33n
Everyone's skin is different. Certain foods might trigger your acne but might not trigger someone else's.

Yep certainly there still many things that are just a mystery to us. But i really do reccommend listening to jordan petersons daughter, and how it helped its honestly astonishing. To this day dhe sticks to that carnivore diet which is just mad for me. I tried the diet for like 2 weeks.

Quick Reply

Latest