The Student Room Group

The Martial Arts Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 900
WolfishSmile
I argee it does give a lot to focus on hand and foot techniques, as the name suggests; and may more be concieved as an offensive martial art rather than a defensive one. Though, like I say some places will teach a wide variety of different styles. I've learnt take-downs, sweeps and self-defence combinations which are very practical for use outside of a controlled situation [if you feel you could use them under pressure if you weren't expecting an attack.].

Exactly.

I felt that after a year doing Tae Kwon Do I ha adopted a natural stance, way of moving, way of thinking, and other similar skills, that are useful for self defence... I found it easier going on to CQC and CQT than my mates who hadn't done TKD.

CQT is what made me think of Ju Jitsu, as it is basically the same sort of techneques, just with a more practicall and streetworthy use of it.
C_B_C
Exactly.

I felt that after a year doing Tae Kwon Do I ha adopted a natural stance, way of moving, way of thinking, and other similar skills, that are useful for self defence... I found it easier going on to CQC and CQT than my mates who hadn't done TKD.

CQT is what made me think of Ju Jitsu, as it is basically the same sort of techneques, just with a more practicall and streetworthy use of it.

Definitely, it does give a good base level of ability if you want to begin anything new; in fitness and flexibilty as much as general knowledge and understanding. If you're looking for something to do possibly to compete in, as a general hobby for enjoyment, or fitness as well as a martial art focused on hand and foot techniques- then TKD is a good choice. Possibly less so however if you're looking for something slightly more 'street-worthy'. :smile:
tae kwon do sounds pretty good:biggrin: and i dont mind that much about the lack of self defence - i do quite alot of that in kickboxing so it would be nice to do something with a different emphasis:smile: not that in kickboxing the emphasis is on self defence but it has quite a bit in it!:smile:
last night i tried researching kickboxing, and what the professional set up is (not that i'm thinking of turning pro!) but it all seemed a bit confusing - no site seemed to have a straight answer on what the governing body (bodies) are - there seemed to be loads of so called world associations all with loads of variations of kickboxing - why is this? and who are the best/biggest?
Reply 903
Well, for uni I've decided against Taekwondo, as I've recently discovered that I'm not Orange belted after all, as our group wasn't 'official'... So I'd rather do Judo.

I've been watching some Judo videos and techneques, and I've realized that I've already practiced some with the Taekwondo class, and the Self Defence (CQT) class... and it looks great.

Anyone know any good Judo pages to have a look at?
I've been searching but all I can find is bollucks.
Reply 904
Well, for me is Karate Kung Fu~~
Reply 905
Chen2008
Well, for me is Karate Kung Fu~~

I've never seen Karate... what's the difference from Tae Kwon Do, for example?
Hey all :smile:

I've spent the whole evening reading through this thread (and not revising :redface:). I've been thinking about taking up a martial art over the summer holidays, and then continuing it when I go on to university. After lots and lots of research, I've decided that jiu jitsu most appeals to me - it's recommended for the career path I want to get into and it's not particularly a striking martial art. As I said, I've read through the thread and seen that quite a lot of people here do some form of jitsu, so I apologise if I repeat questions or anything!

My main worry about starting jiu jitsu is that I've already done one martial art - karate - and absolutely hated it. I did it for about eighteen months, reaching yellow belt, but then gave up. I think one of the main reasons that I didn't like it was down to the instructor - he mainly ignored the newer learners and focussed on the brown and purple belts. I also think he was in the business mainly to get respect from younger people; he didn't treat the class as a whole very nicely and was pretty rude and dismissive of me. I also didn't like karate as I didn't have the strength for it; I was only about eleven at the time, and I wasn't very good with the punching as i had no weight behind it. The latter reason is one of the main factors for me being interested in jiu jitsu, as from what i've heard it's more grappling.

The club I've been looking at is here : http://www.cityjitsu.org.uk/. It all looks very professional and the instructors look well qualified, but I'm worried as I've heard so much about dud clubs that rush you to a black belt, like a factory line! I've read that it takes seven years or so to reach black belt for jiu jitsu, so I dont wanna end up with one in two years! :p: So does anyone know of this club, if it's any good or what have you?

Secondly, I'm concerned about piercings! I've got several piercings, including my bellybutton, my eyebrow and quite a few on my left ear :p:. Will I have to remove every one of these to participate in a class? Tbh, I'd probably be willing to get rid of most, but I'm not too sure about a few :s-smilie:.

Ooh, I did have another question but it's gone!
Thanks in advance for any help :smile:
Is there no Judo or BJJ anywhere near you? Those are arts that ALWAYS have a high lvl of quality due to full contact competitions and the like.
Reply 908
brimstone
Hey all :smile:

I've spent the whole evening reading through this thread (and not revising :redface:). I've been thinking about taking up a martial art over the summer holidays, and then continuing it when I go on to university. After lots and lots of research, I've decided that jiu jitsu most appeals to me - it's recommended for the career path I want to get into and it's not particularly a striking martial art. As I said, I've read through the thread and seen that quite a lot of people here do some form of jitsu, so I apologise if I repeat questions or anything!

My main worry about starting jiu jitsu is that I've already done one martial art - karate - and absolutely hated it. I did it for about eighteen months, reaching yellow belt, but then gave up. I think one of the main reasons that I didn't like it was down to the instructor - he mainly ignored the newer learners and focussed on the brown and purple belts. I also think he was in the business mainly to get respect from younger people; he didn't treat the class as a whole very nicely and was pretty rude and dismissive of me. I also didn't like karate as I didn't have the strength for it; I was only about eleven at the time, and I wasn't very good with the punching as i had no weight behind it. The latter reason is one of the main factors for me being interested in jiu jitsu, as from what i've heard it's more grappling.

The club I've been looking at is here : http://www.cityjitsu.org.uk/. It all looks very professional and the instructors look well qualified, but I'm worried as I've heard so much about dud clubs that rush you to a black belt, like a factory line! I've read that it takes seven years or so to reach black belt for jiu jitsu, so I dont wanna end up with one in two years! :p: So does anyone know of this club, if it's any good or what have you?

Secondly, I'm concerned about piercings! I've got several piercings, including my bellybutton, my eyebrow and quite a few on my left ear :p:. Will I have to remove every one of these to participate in a class? Tbh, I'd probably be willing to get rid of most, but I'm not too sure about a few :s-smilie:.

Ooh, I did have another question but it's gone!
Thanks in advance for any help :smile:

Yep; a mate of mine has to take off his piercings everytime he goes to taekwondo, so it wouldn't surprise me if you would have to too; it's supposed to be dangerous, as you could easily get them caught and rip your ear off (or bellybutton :O), lol...

I agree with you when it comes to taste; I prefere grappling more than kicks and punches, so I would prefer Ju Jitsu to Karate or Tae Kwondo; I'm gona go for Judo at uni, which is similar...

I say go for it!
I have peircings and I have to take them out for Tae Kwon Do classes. I normally leave my belly button one in though, but it's a bad idea - I got kicked in the stomach during sparring and it bled and got quite badly infected. I generally take out my scaffolding and other ear peircings, but leave in the lobes (though I get told off...). Sometimes the rule is that you can leave them in as long as they're taped up?
C_B_C
I've never seen Karate... what's the difference from Tae Kwon Do, for example?

"It can be generalized that in karate, one would use their arms or hands for 60% of the time for strikes or blocks while the use of legs for kicking will be about 40%. This breakdown is seen in the many forms or katas of karate which are set routines which simulate fighting against imaginary opponents using martial arts techniques. The forms from tae kwon do would have the opposite percentage breakdown with 40% hands and 60% legs. In tae kwon do, there is also more emphasis on higher kicks to the head level than in karate. Tae kwon do practitioners also utilize more jumping or flying kicks where one is airborne while executing kicking techniques. The tae kwon do forms or patterns are generally a bit shorter and less complex than the karate forms. Some tae kwon do schools have been known to use the odd karate form in its curriculum as well." ~ If you're asking specifically...
C_B_C
Yep; a mate of mine has to take off his piercings everytime he goes to taekwondo, so it wouldn't surprise me if you would have to too; it's supposed to be dangerous, as you could easily get them caught and rip your ear off (or bellybutton :O), lol...

I agree with you when it comes to taste; I prefere grappling more than kicks and punches, so I would prefer Ju Jitsu to Karate or Tae Kwondo; I'm gona go for Judo at uni, which is similar...

I say go for it!

Thank you for the information and thank you WolfishSmile for the personal experience! I expected you to say that, tbh :p:. Taping up sounds a good idea, though I suppose I'd have to check with the club before I started doing it.

I was wondering if it's necessary or helpful to take a striking martial art alongside jiu jitsu then, for example wing chun? :s-smilie:
Reply 912
brimstone
Thank you for the information and thank you WolfishSmile for the personal experience! I expected you to say that, tbh :p:. Taping up sounds a good idea, though I suppose I'd have to check with the club before I started doing it.

I was wondering if it's necessary or helpful to take a striking martial art alongside jiu jitsu then, for example wing chun? :s-smilie:

Any martial art is good enough, if you use it when you have to. Learning martial arts takes time and practice until it becomes second nature, take whatever martial art your comfortable with, there are dozens of them out there, and all the styles, combinations vary. I don't practice jitsu but from what I have heard it is very effective indeed. Try it out and see how it goes.:smile:
Reply 913
What are the technique differences between Judo and Ju-Jitsu? I find them very similar.

Cheers
brimstone

In my experience, the club that I went to that was of the 'Jitsu Foundation' was very very poor. Very little sparring/ randori, all techniques practised on compliant (unresisting) partners. There were guys there who had been there 3 years who couldn't punch (I know it's predominantly a grappling art but jesus christ some of the punching was just ODD.) The little pressure testing of techs that did exist came in the form of highly unrealistic multiple opponent drills even in gradings. In my brief time there I was also taught some bizarre things like to kick with my instep (not my shin) as well as some really odd and intricate arm locks as a defence from a right 'punch' (no distinction was made between uppercuts, hooks, straights etc. there were 2 types of punches as far as they were concerned- 'left' and 'right').

I found a good grappling school eventually.

Try to find a Brazilian Jujitsu school somewhere or a good Judo club. Some Judo guys are really really good.
Reply 915
WolfishSmile
"It can be generalized that in karate, one would use their arms or hands for 60% of the time for strikes or blocks while the use of legs for kicking will be about 40%. This breakdown is seen in the many forms or katas of karate which are set routines which simulate fighting against imaginary opponents using martial arts techniques. The forms from tae kwon do would have the opposite percentage breakdown with 40% hands and 60% legs. In tae kwon do, there is also more emphasis on higher kicks to the head level than in karate. Tae kwon do practitioners also utilize more jumping or flying kicks where one is airborne while executing kicking techniques. The tae kwon do forms or patterns are generally a bit shorter and less complex than the karate forms. Some tae kwon do schools have been known to use the odd karate form in its curriculum as well." ~ If you're asking specifically...

you have good konwldage about martial arts:biggrin:
Reply 916
Anyone who does the kyokushin Karate here?
Ivan888
Anyone who does the kyokushin Karate here?

I don't personally, I do Muay Thai.

However if you're looking into if it's any good or not, all the Kyokushin guys i've ever sparred with have been good- if slightly confused when i've hit them in the face (no head shots in tournaments).

It's a damn fine art unlike most karate, which sucks balls.

I think among others Georges St Pierre and Bas Rutten have at some point trained kyokushin- hell of an endorsement.
Reply 918
Veil of Maya
I don't personally, I do Muay Thai.

However if you're looking into if it's any good or not, all the Kyokushin guys i've ever sparred with have been good- if slightly confused when i've hit them in the face (no head shots in tournaments).

It's a damn fine art unlike most karate, which sucks balls.

I think among others Georges St Pierre and Bas Rutten have at some point trained kyokushin- hell of an endorsement.

Well Im acctually a Kyokushin Karateka for almost a year now! You're right about no head shots in tournaments, but a fine kick in the face can be very deadly. Thats why you always have to keep your hands up at all times.

Our club has one of the best kyokushin standards in Africa (Im live seychelles, if you know where that is) and is actually No 2 in Africa. Our Shihan is Philip Moustache and has a 6th dan if im correct. :cool:

Hey ive heard that in Muay Thai, you kick banana trees to strenghten your shin...hehe..In the holidays im gonna try that!:biggrin:
Ivan888
Well Im acctually a Kyokushin Karateka for almost a year now! You're right about no head shots in tournaments, but a fine kick in the face can be very deadly. Thats why you always have to keep your hands up at all times.

Our club has one of the best kyokushin standards in Africa (Im live seychelles, if you know where that is) and is acctaully No 2 in Africa. Our Shihan is Philip Moustache and has a 6th dan if im correct. :cool:

Hey ive heard that in Muay Thai, you kick banana trees to strenghten your shin...hehe..In the holidays im gonna try that!:biggrin:

Distinct lack of Banana trees round here unfortunately :biggrin: I just condition my shins by hitting the stupidly hard bags in the gym and padwork. I'm going to be going to Thailand for a year when I finish Uni, most of the gyms over there dont kick banana trees anymore either they just have bags. I think some of the more traditional camps in the poorer areas might still kick 'narna trees but i'm not too sure.

Good luck with the Kyokushin, 'tis a fine thing to be doing.

Quick Reply

Latest