The Student Room Group

Teacher training

This is going to sound quite sad and I'm sad that i'm writing it but i'm currently doing a PGCE and i've started to self reflect on my own position as a potential role model.

I am nearly 40 (and gay incidentally - i'll explain why that's relevant in a moment) and while I have no doubt I am capable of being a teacher, I have to consider the possibility that as a man there will be expectation of me by boys which I may not be able to meet. They may perceive me as something i'm not and become disappointed when that perception is shattered.

They will likely have men in their family who enjoy sport for example or boxing and they will emulate that enthusiasm (something I don't share). I don't want my lack of enthusiasm in subjects they enjoy (and perceive as being manly) to blight their own confidence or make them question their own interests. I'm happy to have conversations and to encourage them but it doesn't alter the fact that I am "different" to what they might traditionally expect.

I don't quite know how else to explain it. I don't want them to feel like they can't talk to me about their interest or be confused why I don't understand or feel confused. I'm just not interested in things that are traditionally perceived as masculine (i.e. football, boxing, martial arts etc) and i'm afraid that might be perceived as me (a "masculine role model") lacking interest in their subject of enjoyment and them questioning why (i.e. well Dad and Uncle like it - so why doesn't he ? Why isn't he as enthusiastic as they are?" and feel deflated.

Am I overthinking this ? Please help....
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by huwwilson650
This is going to sound quite sad and I'm sad that i'm writing it but i'm currently doing a PGCE and i've started to self reflect on my own position as a potential role model.

I am nearly 40 (and gay incidentally - i'll explain why that's relevant in a moment) and while I have no doubt I am capable of being a teacher, I have to consider the possibility that as a man there will be expectation of me by boys which I may not be able to meet. They may perceive me as something i'm not and become disappointed when that perception is shattered.

They will likely have men in their family who enjoy sport for example or boxing and they will emulate that enthusiasm (something I don't share). I don't want my lack of enthusiasm in subjects they enjoy (and perceive as being manly) to blight their own confidence or make them question their own interests. I'm happy to have conversations and to encourage them but it doesn't alter the fact that I am "different" to what they might traditionally expect.

I don't quite know how else to explain it. I don't want them to feel like they can't talk to me about their interest or be confused why I don't understand or feel confused. I'm just not interested in things that are traditionally perceived as masculine (i.e. football, boxing, martial arts etc) and i'm afraid that might be perceived as me (a "masculine role model") lacking interest in their subject of enjoyment and them questioning why (i.e. well Dad and Uncle like it - so why doesn't he ? Why isn't he as enthusiastic as they are?" and feel deflated.

Am I overthinking this ? Please help....

I think you're overthinking this. Teaching attracts a huge variety of personalities and students will be used to the fact that not all teachers conform to gender stereotypes. You may get a bit of ribbing for not being interested in football - even as a woman, I get students who are shocked that I'm not familiar with some big name footballers - but it's not that serious. And similarly, there will be plenty of boys you teach who aren't interested in typically masculine things, and it might be nice for them to have a role model who they can relate to a bit more.
Reply 2
Shock horror - some male teachers - good teachers, are gay. You are not there to teach boys to be men (whatever that is). You are there to teach children your subject, how to learn, how to behave, how to be a part of society, to adopt British values of equality, to teach that racism, sexism and homophobia are not acceptable in our society. You are there to guide and mentor your students. To nurture and encourage. To laugh and cry. To empathise and sympathise. And so on and so on.

So which bit of the above would you not be able to do and what has any of that got to do with your sexuality or identity? Who you are is for you and that is private. The you that teaches is a professional just like every other teacher.

You can do it!

PS - you don't know the half of what students experience at home. Some of it is horrendous. Best not presume.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by hotpud
Shock horror - some male teachers - good teachers, are gay. You are not there to teach boys to be men (whatever that is). You are there to teach children your subject, how to learn, how to behave, how to be a part of society, to adopt British values of equality, to teach that racism, sexism and homophobia are not acceptable in our society. You are there to guide and mentor your students. To nurture and encourage. To laugh and cry. To empathise and sympathise. And so on and so on.

So which bit of the above would you not be able to do and what has any of that got to do with your sexuality or identity? Who you are is for you and that is private. The you that teaches is a professional just like every other teacher.

You can do it!

PS - you don't know the half of what students experience at home. Some of it is horrendous. Best not presume.

I love this answer ! Direct and to the point and true - Thank you. I am so inspired by this in fact, i'm going to use it in my professional development plan and refer to it when I need to.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by huwwilson650
I love this answer ! Direct and to the point and true - Thank you. I am so inspired by this in fact, i'm going to use it in my professional development plan and refer to it when I need to.

Aww thanks and no problems. Good luck on your training.

One other thing to mention that I discovered. Nothing in teaching is about you. You are not going in to teaching to discover yourself or to relive your days in school, even if they might be outcomes of the process. Everything you say and do in the class is about your students and not about you. That is why teaching is so exhausting. You are constantly giving, mentally and emotionally. But if everything you do do is for the students, you can't go wrong.

Good luck once again!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending