The Student Room Group

sin (x) = 1/(root 3) .. =0.62. WHAT?

Hello, hey.

I was just wonderign how that was possible. 1/(root 3) is not in the special triangles, the inverse on calculators give 35.26... there are a lot of questions like this, perhaps you could shed some light on this one for me.

THANKS

btw, the question is . Find a solution,where 0 < x < pi/2 (90?)
Do not use a calculator if the answer ccan be found from special triangles.

Also, 0< tita < 2pi
cos tita = -1/3
tita = 1.9, 4.4
where are these decimals coming from?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Tabbris
Hello, hey.

I was just wonderign how that was possible. 1/(root 3) is not in the special triangles, the inverse on calculators give 35.26... there are a lot of questions like this, perhaps you could shed some light on this one for me.

THANKS

Also, 0< tita < 2pi
cos tita = -1/3
tita = 1.9, 4.4

θ \theta is called 'theta' not 'tita'.

You haven't given the complete question, 0<x<π2 0 < x < \dfrac{\pi}2 is just the range, where is the equation for which we need to find the solutions?
Original post by Tabbris
Hello, hey.

THANKS

Also, 0< tita < 2pi
cos tita = -1/3
tita = 1.9, 4.4

For 13\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{3}}, draw an equilateral triangle of side length 2. Then 'chop' it in half from any corner to the middle of the opposite side. Proceed to work out sides and angles and how they relate.

For the second thing, I've got to start by saying it's theta, not tita.

And I'm pretty certain they're using a calculator there. What's wrong with decimals?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by hassi94
For 13\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{3}}, draw an equilateral triangle of side length 2. Then 'chop' it in half from any corner to the middle of the opposite side. Proceed to work out sides and angles and how they relate.

That doesn't help with sin theta = 1/sqrt(3).
Reply 4
Original post by hassi94

And I'm pretty certain they're using a calculator there. What's wrong with decimals?

The OP's first post isn't clear, she needs to write the complete question.
Original post by electriic_ink
That doesn't help with sin theta = 1/sqrt(3).

Oh sorry I didn't actually read the title while I was writing that, just the actual post where sine wasn't mentioned :tongue:

Yeah then OP, use a calculator.
Original post by raheem94
The OP's first post isn't clear, she needs to write the complete question.

Indeed, it's a pretty confusing post.
Reply 7
θ \theta is called 'theta' not 'tita'.

You haven't given the complete question, 0<x<π2 0 < x < \dfrac{\pi}2 is just the range, where is the equation for which we need to find the solutions?

the equation is this :

sinx x = 1/(root 3)

(i don't know how to do the square root sign but it's a fraction under one)

Sorry about the theta >< I've never seen it written down before , but now I have :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by hassi94

I've tried to do that earlier, but I can't seem to make it work with the triangles.

nothing is wrong with decimals. I just don't understand how to get it as my answer
Reply 9
Original post by Tabbris
the equation is this :

sinx x = 1/(root 3)

Sorry about the theta >< I've never seen it written down before , but now I have :biggrin:

You will probably need to use a calc for this question. Does the question gives any more information?

If you haven't seen any word written before, then its always better to first google it and check the spelling of it, don't mind it btw.
Reply 10
Original post by Tabbris
the equation is this :

sinx x = 1/(root 3)

By the way, are you sure the question asks you to find the value of x ? x \ ?

It may be asking you to find cosx or tanx cosx \ or \ tanx
Reply 11
Original post by hassi94
Oh sorry I didn't actually read the title while I was writing that, just the actual post where sine wasn't mentioned :tongue:

Yeah then OP, use a calculator.

but what do I type into the calculator? o.o

inverse sine gives me 35.5 something...normal sin gives me 0.01007...

How does that eventually work out to be solved as 0.62?
Reply 12
Original post by Tabbris
but what do I type into the calculator? o.o

inverse sine gives me 35.5 something...normal sin gives me 0.01007...

How does that eventually work out to be solved as 0.62?

You need to use the inverse sin.

If your calc is in degrees then you will get 35deg. if it is radian then you will get 0.62rad.
Original post by Tabbris
I've tried to do that earlier, but I can't seem to make it work with the triangles.

nothing is wrong with decimals. I just don't understand how to get it as my answer

For sin(x) it won't work, sorry that was my mistake of not reading properly.

Type sin1(13)sin^{-1}\left(\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{3}} \right) into your calculator and that will give you the principle value. Do you then know how to find the other values (if there are any others in the range asked)?

Oh I see... You need to set your calculator into Radians mode - it's currently outputting degrees.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
By the way, are you sure the question asks you to find the value of x ? x \ ?

It may be asking you to find cosx or tanx cosx \ or \ tanx

There is no more information from the question. and I do not think so. this is part e) of the question. part a) was sin x =1/2 and the answer for that was pi/6 which i understand and used the special triangle for it.

I'm not sure how i can use the calculator to get 0.62

thanks
Reply 15
Original post by Tabbris
There is no more information from the question. and I do not think so. this is part e) of the question. part a) was sin x =1/2 and the answer for that was pi/6 which i understand and used the special triangle for it.

thanks

Configure your calc to give the answer in radian.

As the range,
Unparseable latex formula:

0 &lt; x &lt; \dfrac{\pi}2

, is given in radians hence we need to give the final answer in radian.

Once you have changed the configuration to radians, then just do, sin1(13) sin^{-1}\left(\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{3}} \right)
Reply 16
Original post by Tabbris
Hello, hey.

THANKS

Also, 0< tita < 2pi
cos tita = -1/3
tita = 1.9, 4.4

Just because 1 over root 3 is involved in the question doesn't mean it in going to be a non calculator thing.

If you read the question carefully it is asking you for where solutions 0 < x < pi/2
So you can work it out in degree like you have done which came out to 35.26 right? HOWEVER it says it has to be in radians hence pi/2. To convert degrees in radians you have to mulitply 35.26 by PI (3.14....) then divide by 180.

So 35.26 x Pi / 180 = Answer you were looking for :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Tabbris

thanks

Do you know how to change the configuration to radians in your calc?
Reply 18
You need to use the inverse sin.

If your calc is in degrees then you will get 35deg. if it is radian then you will get 0.62rad.

whoa, I think that is it >< I didn't realise about the calculator mode thing o.o

Thanks!

Whoa >, I can't believe all this effort was just because I didn't have the right mode :/
Reply 19
Original post by StudyAk
Just because 1 over root 3 is involved in the question doesn't mean it in going to be a non calculator thing.

If you read the question carefully it is asking you for where solutions 0 < x < pi/2
So you can work it out in degree like you have done which came out to 35.26 right? HOWEVER it says it has to be in radians hence pi/2. To convert degrees in radians you have to mulitply 35.26 by PI (3.14....) then divide by 180.

So 35.26 x Pi / 180 = Answer you were looking for :smile:

Ack >,< THANK YOU DO MUCH!

Quick Reply

Latest