The Student Room Group

Wimbledon 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheMagicMan
You really must be a fortune teller. It is a fact that fed has a better ( although still not huge) chance of beating djok than whoever gets out of the other semi. Just consult the bookies :wink:

The bookies give djok a 65% chance of winning his semi and about an 85% chance of winning the final should he come through the semi...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I reckon Federer will win in 4 sets...see what he did to djok at the french open last year, during which djok was supposedly playing "better" than he is now; and federer looked untouchable after his quarter- final performance today.
I predict a Federer-Murray final, and I really want Murray to win :smile:
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
I don't think it's as easy as saying the winner of the Fed/Djok match will win the final. Murray has a winning record against Federer and Tsonga beat him at Wimbledon last year. Both players have pushed Djokovic right to the death in slam matches this year. I'll say it's 60/40 to whoever wins Semi Final 1 but it's very naive to discount Tsonga and Murray.

The bookmakers have Federer at 66% chance of winning the final (should he get there, regardless of opponent), and Djokovic at 80%, with Murray at 25% chance of winning the final, and Tsonga at 23%. Give or take a few %, but doing some quick calculations tells me I'm in the right ballpark. The numbers will change depending on the final, of course, seeing as these figures are just averages.

Murray has a winning record against Fed, but I think if he makes it to the final, he won't let his (possibly last) chance go, and beating Djokovic is going to be a nightmare for both of his opponents.
(edited 11 years ago)
Murray vs. Federer will probably be the last chance either of them get to win Wimbledon, so that match would be absolutely fascinating.

Anyone vs. Djokovic will as the above poster said, be an absolute nightmare, even though he had an early scare today against Mayer and dropped a set against Ferrero, he was imperious against Troicki and it's so hard to look past Novak to win his second Wimbledon and second grand slam this year.

Let's not forget about JWT, he really has had the bit between his teeth since dispatching Fish and I'm sure he's going to be pumped to end his losing streak against Murray, I don't think Murray is quite in the final yet and this could prove to be a tougher test than the last couple of sets against Ferrer today.

Quick kudos to Ferrer, I thought he was excellent today and deserved so much more than a solitary set, I imagine it's so tough for players having to tackle the player over the other side + 15,000 spectators.
Reply 1983
Original post by Lamps08
Federer is absolute class, you muppet. I don't see this being as one sided as people are making out. From what I've seen of Federer this week, he could be a match for anyone- the guy has real class, and only by seeing them head to head will you be able to see who the best is. Both of them have looked complete class against their retrospective opponents. I'm convinced Federer would beat Murray in the final though, because it's so clear he is better.

LOL another Fed fanboy just sucking up to Fed as always. All I can say right now is that Federer isn't reaching the final so whether classy or not.
Original post by Straight up G
The bookmakers have Federer at 66% chance of winning the final (should he get there, regardless of opponent), and Djokovic at 80%, with Murray at 25% chance of winning the final, and Tsonga at 23%. Give or take a few %, but doing some quick calculations tells me I'm in the right ballpark. The numbers will change depending on the final, of course, seeing as these figures are just averages.

Murray has a winning record against Fed, but I think if he makes it to the final, he won't let his (possibly last) chance go, and beating Djokovic is going to be a nightmare for both of his opponents.

I reckon whoever wins Djok vs Fed is almost certain to win the title. Murray basically has no chance with his defensive mentality, weak mental strength and inconsistency in matches, and Tsonga will need to be in the form he showed when he came from 2 sets down in 2011 to beat Federer to have any chance.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1985
Original post by *Hakz*
LOL another Fed fanboy just sucking up to Fed as always. All I can say right now is that Federer isn't reaching the final so whether classy or not.

That makes you another typical Fed hater, hating as always.

I think we should all wait and see before everyone slags eachother off
Reply 1986
Original post by 079
That makes you another typical Fed hater, hating as always.

I think we should all wait and see before everyone slags eachother off

The thing is I actually used to like Fed and still do but some of his fans are so ignorant.

If you go back a few pages you'll see that I simply voiced my opinion on Djokovic winning and all of a sudden everyone of his supporters started disagreeing and negging.
Seen as we now have the confirmed men's semi final line-up, my predictions are as follows.

Murray to beat Tsonga in four sets.

Djokovic to win in straight sets against Federer.

Djokovic to win in four sets in the final.
Original post by Ben Butler
Seen as we now have the confirmed men's semi final line-up, my predictions are as follows.

Could be a very strong call there.
Reply 1989
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
Could be a very strong call there.

I have a feeling Tsonga might just beat Murray though.
Reply 1990

Lol you wish

I agree with the Murray and the final scores but I think we could have another repeat of the US Open Semi from 2011 on our hands with Federer and Djokovic (3-2 Nole)
Reply 1992
Original post by *Hakz*
The thing is I actually used to like Fed and still do but some of his fans are so ignorant.

If you go back a few pages you'll see that I simply voiced my opinion on Djokovic winning and all of a sudden everyone of his supporters started disagreeing and negging.

Didn't you also claim Murray/Tsonga was more likely to beat Djok than Fed? I can see people taking issue with that.
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
I reckon whoever wins Djok vs Fed is almost certain to win the title. Murray basically has no chance with his defensive mentality, weak mental strength and inconsistency in matches, and Tsonga will need to be in the form he showed when he came from 2 sets down in 2011 to beat Federer to have any chance.

Yeah, I agree completely, they're both too inconsistent with their shot selection and touch, and the experience and greater mental strength of the Nole/Fed should see them to victory quite comfortably imo. Murray was looked in great touch today, too many errors which a better player than Ferrer would have put away, but his shots were generally fantastic, so I think Federer-Murray would be the closest final, but I'd still see Fed winning that fairly comfortably.
Reply 1994
How did Tsonga get this far again...? Oh wait, no Nadal.

Tbh he shouldn't even be counted as a potential to win the cup. Realistically it's going to be Fed or Djoko. Murray is terribly inconsistent, always has this grumpy look on his face, appears defeated after 3 shots and is in general a physically/mentally weaker player to the former two.
Yeah, I agree completely, they're both too inconsistent with their shot selection and touch, and the experience and greater mental strength of the Nole/Fed should see them to victory quite comfortably imo. Murray was looked in great touch today, too many errors which a better player than Ferrer would have put away, but his shots were generally fantastic, so I think Federer-Murray would be the closest final, but I'd still see Fed winning that fairly comfortably.

Murray's lost all 3 of his grand slam finals in straight sets. Federer or Djokovic will up their game in a Grand Slam final and win comfortably. Murray's a choker, just like Henman was.

When was the last time Murray beat one of the top 3 players in a major Grand Slam?
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
Murray's lost all 3 of his grand slam finals in straight sets. Federer or Djokovic will up their game in a Grand Slam final and win comfortably. Murray's a choker, just like Henman was.

When was the last time Murray beat one of the top 3 players in a major Grand Slam?

He beat Nadal in a US Open semi in 2009, and then the Australian open straight after it in 2010, I think, though Nadal retired in one of them.

Also, good thing I didn't put that £100 on like you told me to :angry:
(edited 11 years ago)
You don't have a clue? Federer has not been Federer for the last year. He's losing it mentally, and perhaps his reflexes/touch is fading too. The Federer of old wouldn't have lost to Tsonga last year after being two sets up, and wouldn't have faded so miserably in the second set against Djokovic at RG this year either.

Oh of course, if he gets to the final, he'll win. The trouble is getting past Djokovic. If he does so, it will rank amongst the greatest victories of his career.

This.

Djokovic is definitely the favourite going into the semi-final.

Never mind the Federer of old, just compared to last year, he seems more error-prone and less consistent. Had this match been in last year, I would've put Federer as favourite, but some of his recent performances in the french open and wimbledon were just dreadful by his standards.
The way federer played in the quarter final, he will beat djok easily in straight sets
Reply 1999
Original post by jukebox123
The way federer played in the quarter final, he will beat djok easily in straight sets

Djok=/= Youzznny

Quick Reply

Latest