The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

A big welcome (or "welcome back") to all tennis fans :smile:

I've noticed that the "TSR Tennis Society III" thread is on its last legs and nearing 10,000 posts. Hence, as one of the more frequent and dedicated posters, I thought I'd take the initiative and make a new one for us to use/abuse.

We're approaching the business end of 2014's first Grand Slam, and what an unusually interesting one it has been. A few upsets in the men's draw, several in the women's draw, and here are our last 4 men and 4 women standing:

Men:

Stanislas Wawrinka vs Tomas Berdych
Roger Federer vs Rafael Nadal

Women:

Agnieszka Radwanska vs Dominika Cibulkova
Na Li vs Eugenie Bouchard

Best of luck to all of them, and I'm sure we all expect to see some fascinating tennis over the next 4 days! Who will be holding the trophies, though?

BTW: The old thread can be found here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2290415

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Krish4791
A big welcome (or "welcome back") to all tennis fans :smile:

I've noticed that the "TSR Tennis Society III" thread is on its last legs and nearing 10,000 posts. Hence, as one of the more frequent and dedicated posters, I thought I'd take the initiative and make a new one for us to use/abuse.

We're approaching the business end of 2014's first Grand Slam, and what an unusually interesting one it has been. A few upsets in the men's draw, several in the women's draw, and here are our last 4 men and 4 women standing:

Men:

Stanislas Wawrinka vs Tomas Berdych
Roger Federer vs Rafael Nadal

Women:

Agnieszka Radwanska vs Dominika Cibulkova
Na Li vs Eugenie Bouchard

Best of luck to all of them, and I'm sure we all expect to see some fascinating tennis over the next 4 days! Who will be holding the trophies, though?

BTW: The old thread can be found here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2290415

Radawanska for the women's and Federer for the mens.:wink:
Reply 2
Original post by ubi1
Radawanska for the women's and Federer for the mens.:wink:

Another jinx? :smile: I think Na Li has a good shot in the women's
Reply 3
Another jinx? :smile: I think Na Li has a good shot in the women's

But the way Rad****a ripped Vika was impressive.
Na not jinxing just my gut feeling! can Imagine Federer doing an epic celebration!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ubi1
But the way Rad****a ripped Vika was impressive.
Na not jinxing just my gut feeling! can Imagine Federer doing an epic celebration!

It would mean a LOT to him. Even against Murray today, he roared in delight
Reply 5
It would mean a LOT to him. Even against Murray today, he roared in delight

Just wish it was 6 hour battle Nadal eventually prevailing 9-7 in the 5th:eek:

It just may overtake A0 12 Final!
Reply 6
Original post by ubi1
Just wish it was 6 hour battle Nadal eventually prevailing 9-7 in the 5th:eek:

It just may overtake A0 12 Final!

Unlikely - Fed would not get engaged in a 6 hour battle with Rafa (he's not like Novak). He'll want to shorten most of the points
Reply 7
Unlikely - Fed would not get engaged in a 6 hour battle with Rafa (he's not like Novak). He'll want to shorten most of the points

4 hours? I want another classic...:frown:
Li vs Aga with Li winning.

Stan vs Rafa with Rafa winning.
Reply 9
Original post by TheMagicRat
Li vs Aga with Li winning.

Stan vs Rafa with Rafa winning.

Chickens are hatching a little early...:tongue:
Original post by ubi1
Chickens are hatching a little early...:tongue:

Hey, the man asked who we thought would be holding the trophies and I'm telling you, as well as who they will beat in the final. I hope I'm wrong though. I want Li to win, so that's fine but I'd prefer Stan or Federer to win.
Reply 11
Women's Champion: Li Na (finalist Radwanska)

Men's Champion Rafael Nadal (finalist Berdych)

I think fatigue will play a big role in the Wawrinka-Berdych match, Stan was cramping at the end against Djokovic which wasn't a good sign.
Didn't catch the entire Fed/Murray match but damn Federer is impressive. The tenacity and belief of a true champion. Even if he loses to Rafa he's only consolidating his position as easily one of the best players ever.
Reply 13
Excellent result again today for Stan! Winning in four sets. Would love to think he has a chance of winning the final but think his opponent (whoever it is) will be the favourite.
Reply 14
Stan played a brilliant match against Berdych who has played at his best all tournament so would be tricky for anybody, I wish him well in the final and hope he plays his best tennis. I have to favour Nadal against Federer and for the title it would take a force of nature (Djokovic or Federer at their best) to stop him. I don't think Stan or Fed have the game or the mental strength to do the business against Rafa. And ubi I can't see Sampras being upset with Nadal winning, Pete is a great champion, so is Rafa
Reply 15
Original post by lizzy95
Stan played a brilliant match against Berdych who has played at his best all tournament so would be tricky for anybody, I wish him well in the final and hope he plays his best tennis. I have to favour Nadal against Federer and for the title it would take a force of nature (Djokovic or Federer at their best) to stop him. I don't think Stan or Fed have the game or the mental strength to do the business against Rafa. And ubi I can't see Sampras being upset with Nadal winning, Pete is a great champion, so is Rafa

Aye its Judgement day for Rafa 13-18 too much for Rafa however 14-17 Not too bad aye.
It will be the first time Nadal will lead his grand slam rivalry with Federer 14-13 since Rafa won his first slam both are tied with 13-13
I rarely get to hear Stan speak and never for as long as he did after the match and I must say I quite enjoyed him talking. I also like the fact he didn't celebrate when he won. I don't like it when people do that, especially when it will be your first final, because it looks weak. It looks like you're just glad to be in the final when there's actually more work to be done.
Reply 17
Great victory for Stan! I think he'll enter the Top 5 in the world after that win - an astounding achievement.

Would really love to see an all-Swiss affair in the final - tomorrow should hopefully be a classic.
an all Swiss final would be great to see, so happy for Stan :biggrin:

and yay for new thread :biggrin:
Reply 19
Great victory for Stan! I think he'll enter the Top 5 in the world after that win - an astounding achievement.

Would really love to see an all-Swiss affair in the final - tomorrow should hopefully be a classic.

Really looking forward to the next few days of tennis!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest