The Student Room Group

Wimbledon 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by D-Box
Happy to see Serena knock out Azarenka mainly because she was waaay too noisy on court.

This, It's a horrible sound she makes. Ferrer made some pretty strange sounds too.
I'm still pretty disappointed by the level and standard of the women's tennis.

Why did Henin have to retire?
Reply 2082
Original post by internet tough guy
Not really, he was on some ridiculous win streak going into that semi-final, he was definitely in top form as was federer.

Oh well that hardly matters though. Remember that you might be the best player in the world but when you play a match, the better man will win on the day. Federer was the best on the day and that's about it. Djokovic is still the better player.

Same happened to Nadal a week ago, Rosol was the better player on the day despite being ranked 100.
Original post by *Hakz*
Oh well that hardly matters though. Remember that you might be the best player in the world but when you play a match, the better man will win on the day. Federer was the best on the day and that's about it. Djokovic is still the better player.

Same happened to Nadal a week ago, Rosol was the better player on the day despite being ranked 100.

Too true.
Watching the Robson match now :cheers:
Original post by *Hakz*

Both were playing their best on the day though, it wasn't like djokovic couldn't be bothered.
Alright, let's reach a compromise. Federer I would say is pretty good on grass. How about we wait till tomorrow, then decide who is better? Course I'll be cheering on Djoko :wink:
Original post by *Hakz*
LOL you don't rate Federer at all do you?

I do rate him, he is one of the best sportsmen of my lifetime, but Djokovic I feel is better and Federer hasn't really looked world class in any of the matches I have seen him in this Wimbledon. Tsonga to win the final though. BEAST!
Reply 2088
Order confirmed:

Andy Murray second on Centre Court on Friday v Tsonga, after Federer v Djokovic in the men's semi-finals at Wimbledon
How do you guys think Robson will do as she gets older?
Reply 2090
Original post by Gob Bluth

I think Heather Watson is the better prospect. Both look promising though, and should hopefully win a couple Grand Slams between them, but not anytime soon.
dominic inglot hitting some huge serves in this mixed doubles. inglot/robson v fleming/(hsie)?
Original post by .eXe
Lol you wish
I genuinely think this. I am a Nole fan and he has been playing tennis way above the level of anyone else so far in this tournament. He has already beat Federer in straight sets at Roland Garos.
Reply 2093
Original post by Ben Butler
I genuinely think this. I am a Nole fan and he has been playing tennis way above the level of anyone else so far in this tournament. He has already beat Federer in straight sets at Roland Garos.

Fair enough but do you think he's played better tennis at Wimbledon this year than Fed?

They've never played each other at Wimby so I think it's too early to outright call him as a winner because this is fed's best surface and I guarantee you the majority of the spectators will be in Federer's favour and that also have a major effect on the match.

However, yes it will definitely be a good match.
I feel a bad disappointed reading through this thread. Its meant to be a UK based student room yet a lot of you would quite happily see Murray put out by Tsonga. In fact some of you want Murray to be beaten. Some nation we are when we can't even try and get behind our best prospect.

I understand he has never won a slam before and I also understand there are better players. But Murray is obviously better than Tsonga on every level I can think of that matters in winning a tennis match. To say he wont have a chance is ludicrous.

It would be a final , if anything this tournament has taught us is that shocks can happen.

For goodness sakes get behind him.
Reply 2095
Original post by 1tartanarmy
I feel a bad disappointed reading through this thread. Its meant to be a UK based student room yet a lot of you would quite happily see Murray put out by Tsonga. In fact some of you want Murray to be beaten. Some nation we are when we can't even try and get behind our best prospect.

I understand he has never won a slam before and I also understand there are better players. But Murray is obviously better than Tsonga on every level I can think of that matters in winning a tennis match. To say he wont have a chance is ludicrous.

It would be a final , if anything this tournament has taught us is that shocks can happen.

For goodness sakes get behind him.

I think people would much rather support the player, rather than the country they were born in.

That's how it should be tbh...

And murray might be better than Tsonga, but Murray chokes on the big points; not to mention he always looks pessimistic and angry. There is nothing exciting about his game.

If he wins...cool. If he doesn't...not a huge loss.
Original post by Gob Bluth

Heather will probably be more successful but Robson will be the 'face' of British women's tennis for longer if that makes any sense.

Impossible to tell at this stage though (I mean who would've predicted Kerber getting to an SF after losing in 1st round to Robson a year before?)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by .eXe
And murray might be better than Tsonga, but Murray chokes on the big points

Everyone does every now and again , did you even watch the game yesterday? He won 2/3 tie breaks and broke ferrer twice to come back from behind in two separate sets.

Whats not big points about that?

Tbh I think yeh support a player , but over someone from your own country is
a bit unfair on Murray. The fans are hugely important and I just think it would be only right to get behind him for the sake of British tennis. It would have such an impact on OUR OWN society.

EDIT: Seen your canadian, your view is kinda irrelevant in regards to my rant.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2098
Original post by 1tartanarmy
Everyone does every now and again , did you even watch the game yesterday? He won 2/3 tie breaks and broke ferrer twice to come back from behind in two separate sets.

Whats not big points about that?

Tbh I think yeh support a player , but over someone from your own country is
a bit unfair on Murray. The fans are hugely important and I just think it would be only right to get behind him for the sake of British tennis. It would have such an impact on OUR OWN society.

Impact on society? lolwut?

Sure murray pulled out on a couple tie breaks but I wouldn't necessarily call that "big points". It's a tie break, it's not like murray came back from 5-0 down or something.

And secondly, it was against Ferrer (not a player I would classify in the same group as fed/djoko/nadal). If Murray wants any hope of winning a GS he needs to have some consistency in behaviour, outlook and gameplay.

It's pretty funny to me that murray has a winning record against Fed but he's won all the useless matches that don't matter but somehow...manages to lose all the important ones.

That's what I mean by "murray chokes on the big points"
(edited 11 years ago)
its not that we dont want andy to win its just tsonga is someone the majority of people just love to watch because of how he plays his game and his attitude. if there was someone the british public would be happy seeing andy loose too it would be tsonga

Quick Reply

Latest