The Student Room Group

How to become a prof?

How do I become a professor? I do a Bsc then what? A masters and then a PhD? Basicaly I don't want to be a Mr so how do I achieve this?

Im looking to do a computing/business related course. Is it even possible in this subject?

Scroll to see replies

i don't know how you become a professor- i think the university gives the title to you but i'm not sure. if you don't want to be called Mr then do a phd and become Dr!!
Reply 2
A prof is a title given by an academic post, you are the proffeser of whatever at the university of wherever.
Moog
How do I become a professor? I do a Bsc then what? A masters and then a PhD? Basicaly I don't want to be a Mr so how do I achieve this?

Im looking to do a computing/business related course. Is it even possible in this subject?

why would you want to spend time becoming a professor (sorry just my image of professor is of old gerying men with comb-overs, dandruff and with the strange smell of cat following them around.. gross prejudice i know)
Reply 4
A Professor is a post appointed by the university - you can have a BA/BSc and still be a professor. I don't think its an official title so you need to do doctoral work.
Reply 5
a professor is an academic post. to get to be one you need to do pretty well in your degree ideally getting a first before going on to do a PhD. you can be a professor without a PhD but in reality unless you're a young einstein the chances of this are pretty unlikely. my uncle is a professor at cardiff uni, its not great pay at first but bear in mind you get to do your own research in top class surroundings working with people at the top of their field so it does sound like a rewarding job.
Reply 6
I would quite like to become a professer of some field of chemistry, if i dont opt for a higher paying carer before i get chance
Reply 7
Right, a PhD so I can call myself Dr it is then! I didn't realise a professor was an academic post.
Moog
Right, a PhD so I can call myself Dr it is then! I didn't realise a professor was an academic post.

it would be cheaper o get a sex change and then you could beMiss, Ms, or Mrs.

MB :smile:
musicboy
it would be cheaper o get a sex change and then you could beMiss, Ms, or Mrs.

MB :smile:

What's the difference between Ms and Miss? :confused:
trinigyal
What's the difference between Ms and Miss? :confused:

Miss refers to an unmarried woman.It is uncommonly used. Ms (pronounced mz) does not refer to unmarried or married. It was used by second-wave feminists such as it's use in the '70s magazine "Ms".

MB
sorry diddn't mean to kill the thread.

MB
Reply 12
musicboy
Miss refers to an unmarried woman.It is uncommonly used. Ms (pronounced mz) does not refer to unmarried or married. It was used by second-wave feminists such as it's use in the '70s magazine "Ms".

MB

It's used for women who don't want to show their marital status. Unfortunately it has a connotation of being attached to divorced women, which is somewhat discriminatory. Fortunately for me, I shall be a Dr. by the time I'm 25ish, so I can hide behind that and no-one need know that I'm going to die alone Bridget Jones style.
Reply 13
Moog

You can purchase your title for just a few hundred quid a year!
That's what i'm gona do. :biggrin:
Reply 14
you gain professorship by doing original work or contributing to existing scholarship in a particular field that enhances national or global development...

the profs that i have come acrossed have gained their phds...

the thread has gone in a new direction so maybe my post is a little too late...
Have a look at this:

http://www.elite-titles.com/

This scam of a company attempts to sell titles such as Lord, Earl, Sir etc for £195!
a Title makes a great gift for any occasion all year round.
rofl.
Reply 17
hornblower
Have a look at this:

http://www.elite-titles.com/

This scam of a company attempts to sell titles such as Lord, Earl, Sir etc for £195!

Yep that's the beast I was on about, just a one off payment though, my mistake.
Reply 18
Try www.uktitles.com

I know several people who have bought Titles from this company. The titles are totally legal using an old and forgotten Title changing law.

They are happy!!! But im happy with being a Mr, a Title can be for vanity purposes only!!!!

Discoboy
Reply 19
I think doing a phD simply because you don't want to be called 'Mr.' is very vain. Have you any idea how much work goes into a phD? To succeed I'd imagine you need to be in it for the right reasons, i.e. having a passion for the particular subject area, wanting experience of research...etc.

Latest

Trending

Trending