sarah12345
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Hi i am a little stuck an how to work out the colour of a transition element from its absorbtion spectrum. ive got a past paper question and the main absorbance is just below 500nm where do i go from there?

thanks alot
oxymoron
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by sarah12345)
Hi i am a little stuck an how to work out the colour of a transition element from its absorbtion spectrum. ive got a past paper question and the main absorbance is just below 500nm where do i go from there?

thanks alot
The visible spectrum is from roughly 400-750nm with the blue end being at the lower end of this range.
As your compound absorbs below 500nm, ie the blue end of the spectrum, it will appear red/orange as these are the colours that are not absorbed.
Just remove the colours that are absorbed and make a guess at a colour from what is left! (in the end they should accept a range of colours in the markscheme).
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
there is a table of complementary colours.
check out this link
http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssc...ht/u12l2d.html
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Name:  AdditiveColorMixing.png
Views: 63
Size:  4.3 KB

check this out. White light is made up of three colours. Absorb one and you are left with the mix of the other two.
eg: absorb red and you are left with the sum of the blue and the green = cyan
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (91)
13.13%
1 (89)
12.84%
2 (89)
12.84%
19.05%
22.37%
19.77%

Watched Threads