The Student Room Group

Question about periodic table

Was wondering if for chemistry a-level if there is a maximum element that is used in exam questions involving use of mass number or atomic number as I was told by my teacher that for electron configuration the maximum for AQA is zinc and was wondering if there's a similar rule for the rest of the subject. For example if the maximum element used in those kind of questions was cadmium. Bit of a silly question but it came across my mind and figured I'd ask anyways. Appreciate any help :yy:
Reply 1
Original post by bean6646
Was wondering if for chemistry a-level if there is a maximum element that is used in exam questions involving use of mass number or atomic number as I was told by my teacher that for electron configuration the maximum for AQA is zinc and was wondering if there's a similar rule for the rest of the subject. For example if the maximum element used in those kind of questions was cadmium. Bit of a silly question but it came across my mind and figured I'd ask anyways. Appreciate any help :yy:

you mean as in. for transition metals why zinc cant be considered one even though its in the d block elements?
Reply 2
Original post by cr7090121
you mean as in. for transition metals why zinc cant be considered one even though its in the d block elements?

nah just as in like i got told for electron configuration related questions, maximum element used for AQA would be zinc. was wondering if for other questions more related to the mass numbers if theres a maximum number as ive never seen questions with elements like polonium or livermorium
Reply 3
nah just as in like i got told for electron configuration related questions, maximum element used for AQA would be zinc. was wondering if for other questions more related to the mass numbers if theres a maximum number as ive never seen questions with elements like polonium or livermorium

as in write down the electron configuration for an element if that's what ur asking for then there's no maximum furthermore that shouldn't be a problem either it literally as simple as 1,2,3
Reply 4
Original post by cr7090121
as in write down the electron configuration for an element if that's what ur asking for then there's no maximum furthermore that shouldn't be a problem either it literally as simple as 1,2,3

AQA goes up to zinc they don't ask for any higher for electron configuration but my question is for questions using mass number or atomic number is there a limit like electron configuration or not
AQA goes up to zinc they don't ask for any higher for electron configuration but my question is for questions using mass number or atomic number is there a limit like electron configuration or not

I'm not an expert, but I take AQA Chem. As far as I'm aware, they can ask for mass or atomic number for any element within reason. I mean, I wouldn't expect them to ask a question related to Oganesson, but for something like Radium I don't see why not.

Quick Reply

Latest