The Student Room Group

Most respected degree?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by lukas1051
There's nothing wrong with studying what you're interested in, I'm only doing the degree I'm doing because it interests me. If anything I have more respect for people who are doing what they're passionate about than I do for people who are purely in it for the money.

Philosophy students do not have a lack of respect. Well, they do, but it comes from people being snobbish as opposed to any logical reason. Finance companies don't want to hire philosophy graduates because their degree doesn't provide them with the required skills, they'd much rather hire someone who already knows all the maths, someone who has demonstrated they think in the desired way. It's nothing to do with respect.

I'll forgive you because you're probably quite new to this forum, or you don't post a lot, but believe me this thread comes up all the time. And to be honest it's not the thread that annoys me, I can see why you'd be interested in people's responses, it's the snobbish arguments, the "my subject is harder than yours!!!1!!111!!2!@!", the 10 page flame wars that inevitably ensue. It never really gets anywhere.

The general opinion among a lot of people seems to be that it's soft but I'm glad you'd agree that it isn't. No I haven't been here that long or seen a thread on this before, I was overly aggressive which I apologies for, it's just that one of my pet peeves is people who object to threads just because they've seen them before, I understand it when it's something that has a definitive answer and could be found by a simple search, but this was more me wanting to talk to people about which subjects they say as being hardest/most respectable. Clearly that wasn't why you disliked the thread so I'm sorry.
Reply 81
Physics :eek:

People who do physics must be sooo smart!!!!

and Medicine... but I'm biased of course :wink:
This may sound far fetched but Geology is very hard It has a bit of everything init.
I don't think that you have to be particularly intelligent to get into medical school, but you need to demonstrate excellent communication skills and empathy in order to get in, and for that reason I have immense respect for anyone in medical school.

Additionally, for me it's not completely down to the subject, more the establishment at which they study the subject.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by seanfromtheblock

People always look down on music degrees, when in fact they require a massive amount of hard work, dedication and skill - just because it doesn't lead to a profession where you are ever likely to make money doesn't mean it shouldn't be respected.

I can see where you're coming from, and I agree although there are reasons why Music isn't regarded as highly, mostly because few employers give preference to those with musical talent. However, the top ones still command respect in musically related circles, don't they? To me, going to university is about taking that talent you have and honing it further - I would only disrespect a degree if it's one that I don't believe requires some level of innate ability, which Music certainly isn't. I think most people (Including myself) who are hopeless at music envy those with musical talent to some degree, and sometimes we take a little too much solace in the fact that we don't have to envy your job prospects.
Fine Art
Reply 86
I think one I hold in very high regard is architecture. That is 7 years of dedication...

Also Maths and Philosophy, Aerospace Engineering and Astrophysics.
For me as a Biologist, anyone that studies the very complex side of Biochemistry also. That stuff is crazy. It obviously isn't theoretical but you never really get to see what you are doing and it all gets pretty complicated and I cant hack mixing loads of clear liquids together to get more clear liquids.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 87
In my experience they aren't particularly respected in the workplace, out of the 6 people I know with language degrees, one has a job, and that is as an air hostess with Emirates. Two went to Oxbridge.

Negged by people who cannot handle an honest fact... I would like these language students with a good graduate job lined up to PM me please as I have some friends that could do with some advice.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 88
Like a lot of people have said, medicine is not the most intellectually stimulating degree but the range and depth of skills that you have to have developed before applying and that you have to demonstrate at the interview makes it quite respected.

Respect in a degree is very subjective that this question is quite useless. It is only respected wherever it is in demand. I have heard that golf management has quite good salary prospects and a bit competitive. To any other person, it sounds like a classic 'mickey mouse' degree, but it is in demand hence is needed.

AstroPhysics/Theoretical Physics
Any degree which is Maths related (Maths, Mathematical Biology, Financial Mathematics etc.)
Computer Science
Law
Pharmacy
Economics
All Engineering degrees (automotive, electrical, mechanical, civil, chemical etc)
Also Robotics sounds fascinating, it's interesting by it's name and I've read into it before and it is also presumably a reverential degree
Other special scientific degrees (Biochemistry, Forensics Sciences/Chemistry, Biomedicine, Zoology, Immunology, Biological Psychology, Podiatary, Oceanic Studies)

Well to be honest with you, there are over dozens of fantastic degrees all of which at a respectable standard. Practically all the degrees I have mentioned are all difficult programme's which are highly respected by employers as the skills you develop are exceptional. Obviously mist degrees are all find but some or more respected than others. Just avoid the easy 'soft' degrees. *cough*Media Studies and Sport Science :tongue:
Chemistry = mind blown
Reply 91
Nuclear Engineering (may be biased though :P)
Original post by VeniViciVidi
No, not really. Because of Einstein, Rutherford, Curie, Hubble...

lol, you overestimate the "general public".
I think that two lists would be more appropriate (based on my opinion obviously).

List 1: Top Valued Degrees

1. Dentistry, Medicine and Vet. Medicine.
2. Applied Mathematics (e.g. Computer Science, Engineering and Statistics).
3. Business & Finance (e.g. Accounting & Finance, Economics and Business).

List 2: Top Respected Degrees

1. Physics and Mathematics.
2. Applied Mathematics (e.g. Computer Science, Engineering and Statistics).
3. Dentistry, Medicine and Vet. Medicine.

Do you agree? :-D
Original post by TimmonaPortella
lol, you overestimate the "general public".

Maybe not Rutherford, but most people have at least heard of Einstein, Curie, Hubble (the telescope at least), Hisenburg and Schroedinger (or at least his cat)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Shengis14
Hisenburg and Schroedinger (or at least his cat)

lol definitely not those two.
Reply 97
All of you seem to rate maths and science subjects so highly - are you unaware that these are all dependent on Philosophy 'the Queen of the sciences' ?
Obviously to most people it seems that Philosophy has less implications in a day to day way but in terms of difficulty and importance it must surely rank in the top .. .1.
How to conduct scientific experiments - Philosophy of science
How to live ? Why should we try to understand the world around us? Ethics
How to know what to investigate scientifically (e.g. investigating different dimensions/the nature of time) - Metaphysics
What is a number, what do these mathematical conclusions really mean? - Philosophy of Maths
I know it isn't the most respected degree by the general public, but by those who actually know what it is (educated people) I think you'd find it is extremely highly respected
I respect someone achieving a lot with their degree, regardless of the subject.
any academic degree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending