The Student Room Group

Private schools should be banned!!!!!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
I've been to both State School and Private School

Sure, it is unfair if you cannot afford Private School. Parents pay for Private School for the opportunities it provides because State Schools cannot. Parents pay for the facilities, the quality of teaching, the extracurricular activities and a multitude of different things.

I'm currently at a State-Funded College. The quality of teaching is horrendous and its appauling. But you cannot change that, because the government pays, not you.
I wish I was still at Private School because of this. Your parents also pay so you're more on a 1-1 level with your teachers in terms of educating. My classes had 15-20 people in them each, sometimes not even that.

State schools, funded by the government, cram as much people as possible into one class. You receive less attention.

Private Schools bring out better educated people for a reason, but abolishing them does nothing but put even more students into the private sector.

Everything you pay for, you pay more for better quality. You can't afford it? You'll receive the quality you can afford. My family were working class irish immigrants. My father worked as hard as possible to afford this opportunity for myself, and he sacrificed a lot of things to make a better life for himself and my family.
education is a right, and we have that right, what is wrong with people that have worked hard for their money spending it on their childs education? You pay for a better seat in a plane or at the cinema, you pay for better seats on the train, you pay for better health care or better quality food or clothes, but theres cheaper options for those who dont, why shouldnt the same be there for education. I dont think getting rid of private schools will do anything good. I went to a comprehensive school and literally all the teachers time was spent on trying to get a small portion of kids to work hard. Some people just dont value education, they dont care, there whole plan is to leave, have kids, get a counsel house and do nothing. And literally all the time the teachers put into them was for nothing when they could have been helping others go from C/B grades to A/A*. I think mixing people just lowers the standards as you have to focus on the bottom of the class. I think we should give everyone the opportunity to have a good education, but after the age of 15/16 some people just dont want it.
Original post by Pikachu123
I believe education should be a sector that should be completely government controlled; that is not to say I advocate following strict government curriculum, rather I believe that a child's basic education should not be influenced by factors such as wealth.

If we are to improve the social mobility of the UK we must expose all children to the same quality of education; this is fundamental to our future generations' progress. Already there is a huge disparity between independent and state funded schools - it is evident by looking at the level of the Common Entrance exam.

Some may argue that the wealthy will always find some means to improve their child's education even if independent schools were to be abolished, that is true; there is no denying that they have the option to send their child to a boarding school in a foreign country, however what happens outside the UK is not the jurisdiction of the UK, therefore should not affect a decision about ENGLISH education. Hiring private tutors is also an option, however hours outside of school is limited; therefore there is less of a difference between the level in which all children are educated at.

Education is a fundamental human right, it is akin to being able to receive medical treatment. Should we not aspire to a better quality of these services for all? Not being able to even make an intelligent, informed decision in elections is an extremely sad state of affairs (which is 38.7% of us), every human being (in the UK) should receive the opportunity to enrich their mind to such a degree.

Banning education would not worsen the experience for all; on the contrary there would be incentive for all (which will include the wealthy - those with the most power) to improve the educational sector and pressurize the government to invest in schools.

Continuing to support independent schools is also a way of segregating those who are wealthy and those who are not; as a general rule. It makes the division between them stark and the wealthy will not be able to identify with those less fortunate, and vice versa. Both will be engulfed within their own 'culture' (evidently this is where the 'chav' culture arose). Being able to expose children to all different types of socioeconomic classes may eventually end the unfounded (and wholly ignorant,) hateful view of the upper echelons of society.

That is why private schools should be banned, they really should be. Rant over.
I know this topic has been covered over many times but I wanted to express my opinion and hope to provide a fresh perspective on this topic (and hopefully influence people into supporting the idea of banning private schools). What I don't understand is the fact that some people are unsupportive of this idea, I mean; their arguments are entirely founded on the basis of the child's right to a better education resting solely on the competence of their parents? Am I right? This doesn't make sense, people don't chose their parents...

P.S. Sorry for any grammatical (or spelling) mistakes in this post.

The ratio of intelligent:unintelligent people on studentroom is approximately 8:20

i know that people aren't going to agree with me but surely making all schools state would just mean that there's even less money for the state schools?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending