The Student Room Group

Where to apply with a poor UCAT score?

My daughter has a UCAT score of 2550 - a bad day :frown:
She has 10x9's at GCSE and is predicted 3 A*'s at A level- Bio, Chem and Psych. She has some work experience that is medicine related as well as volunteering, coaching, mentoring, caring etc and plays sport (hockey/cricket) to a high level. Am I right in thinking the only med schools she can consider with this score are HYMS, Kent and Medway, Keele, Sunderland and Plymouth?? Is Cardiff worth a shot? and I read that Exeter only place 25% weighting on UCAT - but I find this hard to believe? Thanks in advance @ganfydd and any others that reply - very grateful as wondering if best to take a year off ....thanks all

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey what band did she achieve?
Reply 2
Original post by hh.rxs
Hey what band did she achieve?

Band 2
Original post by vkl
Band 2

This is the thread for you:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7102578
:wink:
Read the first post in that and then if you have follow up questions, please post them on that megathread. :yy:
Reply 4
Original post by vkl
She has 10x9's at GCSE and is predicted 3 A*'s at A level- Bio, Chem and Psch. She has some work experience that is medicine related as well as volunteering, coaching, mentoring, caring etc and plays sport (hockey/cricket) to a high level. Am I right in thinking the only med schools she can consider with this score are HYMS, Kent and Medway, Keele, Sunderland and Plymouth?? Is Cardiff worth a shot? and I read that Exeter only place 25% weighting on UCAT - but I find this hard to believe? Thanks in advance @ganfydd and any others that reply - very grateful as wondering if best to take a year off ....thanks all

Hello,
Hope you are doing well. Im in a similar position to your daughter and didnt do that well in my ucat. I was wondering which unis she applied for and if she got interviews, offers. It would be really helpful for me to see which unis i should apply to.
Reply 5
Original post by M357
Hello,
Hope you are doing well. Im in a similar position to your daughter and didnt do that well in my ucat. I was wondering which unis she applied for and if she got interviews, offers. It would be really helpful for me to see which unis i should apply to.

Hi, I got into med with 2400 UCAT, I have plenty of tips so feel free to message me!
Reply 6
Original post by (())
Hi, I got into med with 2400 UCAT, I have plenty of tips so feel free to message me!

Hello. Please tell me all the tips and tricks you know to get into med school. I really want to go but I got a low UCAt score. Which unis should I apply for and which do I have the best chance of getting offers from.
Reply 7
Original post by M357
Hello. Please tell me all the tips and tricks you know to get into med school. I really want to go but I got a low UCAt score. Which unis should I apply for and which do I have the best chance of getting offers from.H

Hey message me!
Reply 8
Original post by (())
Hey message me!

How do I do that? I thought I did message you but I don’t think it went through. I tried to privately message you but it kept flagging up as spam but if you send me your tips privately I’ll be able to receive them. Thanks for the help by they way. Everything helps.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 9
Original post by M357
How do I do that? I thought I did message you but I don’t think it went through.

I got into medicine with 2510, and I applied to Lincoln medical school
Original post by vkl
She has 10x9's at GCSE and is predicted 3 A*'s at A level- Bio, Chem and Psych. She has some work experience that is medicine related as well as volunteering, coaching, mentoring, caring etc and plays sport (hockey/cricket) to a high level. Am I right in thinking the only med schools she can consider with this score are HYMS, Kent and Medway, Keele, Sunderland and Plymouth?? Is Cardiff worth a shot? and I read that Exeter only place 25% weighting on UCAT - but I find this hard to believe? Thanks in advance @ganfydd and any others that reply - very grateful as wondering if best to take a year off ....thanks all

Notts has a guaranteed interview if you qualify for their elite athletes programme.
Check if any contextual or widening participation possibilities.
As so academic bmat might work out.

Edit - ignore as just seen original post was from last year!!
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 11
Original post by zkan
I got into medicine with 2510, and I applied to Lincoln medical school

Really. When did you apply and was there anything you did to make your application stand out. I thought I wouldn’t qualify for Lincoln??
Reply 12
Original post by M357
Really. When did you apply and was there anything you did to make your application stand out. I thought I wouldn’t qualify for Lincoln??

I applied last year, and am due to start there in 3 weeks. Theres a table which shows you how many points you would achieve if you were to apply there, and I belive the threshold for being interviewed last year was about 125, and bear in mind if you get band 1 in sjt (which i did) you get about 75 points. ill try and find that table and pm it to you
Reply 13
Original post by zkan
I applied last year, and am due to start there in 3 weeks. Theres a table which shows you how many points you would achieve if you were to apply there, and I belive the threshold for being interviewed last year was about 125, and bear in mind if you get band 1 in sjt (which i did) you get about 75 points. ill try and find that table and pm it to you

Thank you that would be really useful. I got a band 2 though. Is Lincoln’s medical school Nottingham?? Or is there another medical school called Lincoln? Sorry with all the questions. I was just really disappointed with my UCAt and didn’t think I’d be able to get in anywhere. I tried to find the table you were taking about but wasn’t able to find it. Could you please attach it. Thank you.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 14
Original post by M357
Thank you that would be really useful. I got a band 2 though. Is Lincoln’s medical school Nottingham?? Or is there another medical school called Lincoln? Sorry with all the questions. I was just really disappointed with my UCAt and didn’t think I’d be able to get in anywhere. I tried to find the table you were taking about but wasn’t able to find it. Could you please attach it. Thank you.

Yes Lincoln medical school is run by the Univeristy of Nottingham, and you get a Nottingham degree at the end of it. As such, the interview and how youre selected for interview is entirely the same as if you would be applying to Nottingham. Heres the table, note that for your gcses, its based off your 8 highest subjects, your VR score for ucat is doubled and for Band 2 youll get 45 points out of the max 60. I reckon i had around 125 points last year and got an interview. Screenshot_7.png
Reply 15
Original post by zkan
Yes Lincoln medical school is run by the Univeristy of Nottingham, and you get a Nottingham degree at the end of it. As such, the interview and how youre selected for interview is entirely the same as if you would be applying to Nottingham. Heres the table, note that for your gcses, its based off your 8 highest subjects, your VR score for ucat is doubled and for Band 2 youll get 45 points out of the max 60. I reckon i had around 125 points last year and got an interview. Screenshot_7.png

Thanks for this. I calculated my score and got around 115. Is that too low to apply?? Do you know what the cut off was last year? I got band 2 and 630-Vr, 640-DM, 650-AR, 660-QR. My GCSEs were 5 9’s 4 8’s.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 16
Original post by M357
Thanks for this. I calculated my score and got around 115. Is that too low to apply?? Do you know what the cut off was last year? I got band 2 and 630-Vr, 640-DM, 650-AR, 660-QR. My GCSEs were 5 9’s 4 8’s.

so last year I reckon the cutoff was 120+, but that was high cos there was a lot of grade inflation in 2021 and the years prior to that, due to teacher assesed grades, I rekcon this year the cutoff will decrease slightly, since GCSEs hold more value now, but I think it might be a bit risky to apply this year with 115. definitely do keep lincoln an option tho, and a better place to get advice i reckon would be the "which med school should i apply to thread".
Hi, I need tips when applying for a medical school with average UCAT score- decile5 and sj-band-2
Reply 18
Original post by Justapapa
Notts has a guaranteed interview if you qualify for their elite athletes programme.
Check if any contextual or widening participation possibilities.
As so academic bmat might work out.

Edit - ignore as just seen original post was from last year!!

Thanks - this is really useful as she’s had a gap year and about to re-apply this year- will check out Notts EA Programme and see if she qualifies for that first…..
Original post by vkl
Thanks - this is really useful as she’s had a gap year and about to re-apply this year- will check out Notts EA Programme and see if she qualifies for that first…..

Good luck to her!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending