The Student Room Group

Children to no longer be prescribed puberty blockers, NHS England confirms

There’s more on the story here and across other news outlets: https://news.sky.com/story/children-to-no-longer-be-prescribed-puberty-blockers-nhs-england-confirms-13093251

Good move in my opinion.

Scroll to see replies

The article is somewhat confusing, I’m assuming you just can’t have puberty blockers from these specific clinics? I would hope they aren’t blocking puberty blockers from children with medical conditions who genuinely need them to support healthy long term development…
Original post by ALEreapp
The article is somewhat confusing, I’m assuming you just can’t have puberty blockers from these specific clinics? I would hope they aren’t blocking puberty blockers from children with medical conditions who genuinely need them to support healthy long term development…

It says in the article:

Children will no longer be prescribed puberty blockers at gender identity clinics, NHS England has confirmed.

So I don’t know if they’ll still be prescribed to children in other contexts. I’m personally against perscribing kids puberty blockers but you do bring up a valid point for the children that genuinely need them because of medical conditions.
Original post by Talkative Toad
It says in the article:

Children will no longer be prescribed puberty blockers at gender identity clinics, NHS England has confirmed.

So I don’t know if they’ll still be prescribed to children in other contexts. I’m personally against perscribing kids puberty blockers but you do bring up a valid point for the children that genuinely need them because of medical conditions.

That’s why I’m unsure, it them states they will only used in clinical trials.
I am against them for the use of gender clinics but I was someone that needed them growing up due to my medical condition and if I had been deprived of them my development would have been awful and my bones screwed up so they definitely have their use but I worry blanket legislation could impact other children like myself so I guess we will see 😬
I am against them for the use of gender clinics but I was someone that needed them growing up due to my medical condition and if I had been deprived of them my development would have been awful and my bones screwed up so they definitely have their use but I worry blanket legislation could impact other children like myself so I guess we will see 😬

Can I ask what medical condition that was?
Original post by The_Architect
Can I ask what medical condition that was?

Congenital adrenal hyperplasia, it’s a form of adrenal insufficiency :smile:

Hopefully it’ll only apply to gender clinics and not in cases such as yourself.

It's from GICs. Cis kids with precocious puberty can still get them, but trans kids can't because the medical system is segregated to provide worse outcomes for trans people, because systemic transphobia, and even with all the evidence slapping them in the face people will still deny that this is solely about harming trans kids.
This is of course a horrific move motivated solely by bigotry. There's zero evidence that puberty blockers are harmful, and the prescription of them to trans kids was supposed to be a compromise with cis society rather than allowing trans kids to go through the correct puberty alongside their peers. While they are technically being used off label in trans kids (when actually prescribed, there's less than 100 kids in the country taking them because the GIC system is effectively a denial of care), the posology isn't changed. But, that's what happens when service reviews get hijacked by ideologues who believe the service shouldn't exist (part of the cass advisory board is Riittakerttu Kaltiala, part of a body (SEGM) dedicated to trying to protect conversion therapy).

Worth noting as well that this is the next step in the road towards the far rights ultimate goal of bringing down bodily autonomy entirely. This cannot be considered separate from the overturn of Roe and the case going through the Texas 5th circuit at the moment to require parental consent for birth control in the US, and the increase in women being tried for abortion in the UK (as it's just decriminalised) and attempts to overturn gillick competence
(edited 1 month ago)
That's great news.
Ban on children’s puberty blockers to be enforced in private sector in England
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/apr/11/ban-on-childrens-puberty-blockers-to-be-enforced-in-private-sector-in-england

Not sure if I agree with it being being banned in the private sector despite me being against puberty blockers for children (except in cases like ALEreapp has described above).

I agree with the ban (banning puberty blockers for children) but not sure if it should be applied to the private sector as well.
This is stupid
It's basically part of a wider strategy which recommends treating gender dysphoria as a mental illness requiring therapy first and medication as a last resort. Given the significant impacts that such medication can have, it's only correct that our medical body restrict it's availability.
Original post by Talkative Toad
Ban on children’s puberty blockers to be enforced in private sector in England
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/apr/11/ban-on-childrens-puberty-blockers-to-be-enforced-in-private-sector-in-england

Not sure if I agree with it being being banned in the private sector despite me being against puberty blockers for children (except in cases like ALEreapp has described above).

I agree with the ban (banning puberty blockers for children) but not sure if it should be applied to the private sector as well.

My only argument for banning it in the private sector is it potentially creating a 2-tier system as the article states and for the sake of consistency.

But I think that despite my stance on puberty blockers I think I might lean more towards no when it comes to banning them in the private sector.
The problem with a 388 page report is reading it, reading the evidence they cite and then trying to see if the report might be biased. I certainly won't have the time to do so. That leaves one to read various summaries of the report with all the biases those summaries might have.

FWIW here's summary and at least one which I trust is more neutral than most

https://segm.org/Final-Cass-Report-2024-NHS-Response-Summary

Personally I don't know whether the banning of puberty blockers is a good or bad thing. In the absence of vested interest (i.e a child of my own who might want to be on them) I will likely go with the recommendations as a neutral. I am not naive enough to think the authors of the Cass report are unbiased but I trust there's enough consensus amongst the authors with all their personal biases and professional objectivity to make it close enough to unbiased and therefore a starting point to reexamine how the whole system works in the best interest of the children who are affected.
Reply 15
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
This is of course a horrific move motivated solely by bigotry. There's zero evidence that puberty blockers are harmful, and the prescription of them to trans kids was supposed to be a compromise with cis society rather than allowing trans kids to go through the correct puberty alongside their peers. While they are technically being used off label in trans kids (when actually prescribed, there's less than 100 kids in the country taking them because the GIC system is effectively a denial of care), the posology isn't changed. But, that's what happens when service reviews get hijacked by ideologues who believe the service shouldn't exist (part of the cass advisory board is Riittakerttu Kaltiala, part of a body (SEGM) dedicated to trying to protect conversion therapy).
Worth noting as well that this is the next step in the road towards the far rights ultimate goal of bringing down bodily autonomy entirely. This cannot be considered separate from the overturn of Roe and the case going through the Texas 5th circuit at the moment to require parental consent for birth control in the US, and the increase in women being tried for abortion in the UK (as it's just decriminalised) and attempts to overturn gillick competence

I never fail to get a laugh out of your comments. You're arguing with an expert review who, unlike your good self, actually know something about this topic and the medical aspects of it... Rather like a high schooler arguing with a professor on something they read the other day.
Original post by Napp
I never fail to get a laugh out of your comments. You're arguing with an expert review who, unlike your good self, actually know something about this topic and the medical aspects of it... Rather like a high schooler arguing with a professor on something they read the other day.

"Dr Hilary Cass who, despite being a one-time president of the Royal College of Paediatrics, notably has no prior experience in paediatric gender-affirming care."

https://www.gaytimes.co.uk/life/what-is-the-cass-review-final-recommendations/
Reply 19
Original post by anarchism101
"Dr Hilary Cass who, despite being a one-time president of the Royal College of Paediatrics, notably has no prior experience in paediatric gender-affirming care."
https://www.gaytimes.co.uk/life/what-is-the-cass-review-final-recommendations/

Are you trying to make a point here sorry? She is literally a pediatric doctor, its more than slightly likely she knows both what puberty blockers etc. do in general and how they impact children.
Leaving aside the fact that unless she was the sole source, and writer, for this report her specific expertise is relatively irrelevant you seem to be missing the fact that you generally like to have neutral (unbiassed) people conducting said reviews.
Equally, remind me how her not being involved in "gender affirming healthcare" means she doesn't know what puberty blockers do? That being precisely what you just inferred.

As a slight aside, do you actually think someone with a direct interest in the topic is the best person to be doing a review of.. their own work? Rather akin to asking a politician to lead the review into their own pay.
(edited 1 week ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending