The Student Room Group

Circle Geometry at it's hardest

Show that the lengths of the tangents from the point (h, k) to the circle X^2 + Y^2 + 2fX + 2gY = 0 are the square root of (h^2 +K^2 + 2fh + 2gk +c ) ^1/2. If anyone could please help. I'd be sincerely grateful. Thanks. van.domo
Original post by van.domo
Show that the lengths of the tangents from the point (h, k) to the circle X^2 + Y^2 + 2fX + 2gY = 0 are the square root of (h^2 +K^2 + 2fh + 2gk +c ) ^1/2. If anyone could please help. I'd be sincerely grateful. Thanks. van.domo

There may be a typo in your question ... but the general idea would be to get the equation of the circle into the usual form to get the centre and radius.

Now work out the distance from (h,k) to the centre. Draw a diagram showing the tangent and radius at that point ....
Reply 2
Original post by van.domo

Le t point P(h,k)
The line passing through the midpoint of the circle intersects the circle
at point A and B, then PA*PB=e^2
where e is the length of the tangent to the circle from P.
This is the theorem of power of P relating to (or on) the circle
The circle:
(x+f)2+(y+g)2=f2+g2(x+f)^2+(y+g)^2=f^2+g^2
So the midpoint of the circle is O(-f,-g)
and the radius is f2+g2\sqrt{f^2+g^2}
PA=PO-r
PB=PO+r
PO=(h+f)2+(k+g)2PO=\sqrt{(h+f)^2+(k+g)^2}
so
e2=PAPB=(POr)(PO+r)=PO2r2e^2=PA\cdot PB=(PO-r)(PO+r)=PO^2-r^2
Substitute back and arrange
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
You know. It's seems a hard one for C1. Thanks very much for your help and support. It's appreciated. Domo

Quick Reply

Latest