The Student Room Group

Further maths: Complex numbers and geometry

Can someone explain to me question 8b? I replied to this with the question below.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Risermax
Can someone explain to me question 8b?

0B7F877D-374A-443D-9871-F27529DA1BA1.jpeg78C76308-A04F-404E-A4FA-D73C252E7C46.jpeg
Reply 2
The first set is obviously the ring from part a). That intersects with ...

If you consider when
|z-i| = |z-3i|
It means the distances between the points i and 3i are the same. So the perpendicular bisector of the line joining the points. Then the set
|z-i| <= |z-3i|
is given by the halfspace containing i (fairly trivially to sub in and check 0 <= 2. So the line y=2 (2i) seperates the two halfspaces and you want the lower one.

Then a bit of tedious trig.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by mqb2766
The first set is obviously the ring from part a). That intersects with ...

If you consider when
|z-i| = |z-3i|
It means the distances between the points i and 3i are the same. So the perpendicular bisector of the line joining the points. Then the set
|z-i| <= |z-3i|
is given by the halfspace containing i (fairly trivially to sub in and check 0 <= 2. So the line y=2 (2i) seperates the two halfspaces and you want the lower one.

Then a bit of tedious trig.

yh that part I understood, it’s the trig part im stick with. Why is the angles subtended at centre 2xcos^-1(1/2). I don't understand the segment area part either.
Reply 4
It should be ~gcse stuff that, but if you draw the diagram the line y=2 creates two
1:sqrt(3):2
right triangles so 30:60:90 so the angle of the relevant sector is 2*60 so youre finding the (shaded) area of a segment with angle 120 (1/3 of a circle) and radius 2. Then subtract that from the overall ring area.

The ms desription where they dont simply mention atan(sqrt(3)) = 60 is overly complex.
(edited 11 months ago)
@mqb2766 has already responded, but since I've spent the last 10 min. on a diagram, I'm not letting it go to waste:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest