The Student Room Group

Accelerater shin pain - please tell me I'm not crazy.

Driving a new manual (previous cars have been fine!!). The accelerater is pretty light and you don't have to push it down much unless accelerating, but my legs been hurting so much on it. It's almost like a cramp in the muscle on the front (shin side). Wtf is this? It's distracting me and I end up cruching gears and making other pretty crucial mistakes. It's like my foot is bent - and held - too far up to my leg on it.
I've tried changing sest positions and all sorts. Only thing I can think is like a 3 inch cushion under that leg at the front maybe for some support.
I also get veeeery bad anxiety driving so am already tense af, which probably doesn't help matters.
Original post by spinningtop
Driving a new manual (previous cars have been fine!!). The accelerater is pretty light and you don't have to push it down much unless accelerating, but my legs been hurting so much on it. It's almost like a cramp in the muscle on the front (shin side). Wtf is this? It's distracting me and I end up cruching gears and making other pretty crucial mistakes. It's like my foot is bent - and held - too far up to my leg on it.
I've tried changing sest positions and all sorts. Only thing I can think is like a 3 inch cushion under that leg at the front maybe for some support.
I also get veeeery bad anxiety driving so am already tense af, which probably doesn't help matters.

I had a vehicle that did this to me - ended up using a lot of this on the front of my shins.

couldn't find a seat adjustment that helped, though I'm pretty sure it was the seat / pedal / leg / foot geometry that was causing it, could be that I've got pretty long feet and using the ball of my foot on the pedal meant I was putting the heel somewhere weird.
IMO it's probably not an automatic/manual thing as such.
Original post by Joinedup
I had a vehicle that did this to me - ended up using a lot of this on the front of my shins.

couldn't find a seat adjustment that helped, though I'm pretty sure it was the seat / pedal / leg / foot geometry that was causing it, could be that I've got pretty long feet and using the ball of my foot on the pedal meant I was putting the heel somewhere weird.
IMO it's probably not an automatic/manual thing as such.

Honestly just glad it's not just me. My dad kept saying there must be something up with my leg bc he drove it fine haha. I think you're right with the geometry - I have short feet, short calves and noticeably long thighs so probably a similar issue. Although I still can't work out the physics of it.. thanks for the link, I'll keep it in mind if it gets too bad.
some people do not fit well with certain cars

some makes of cars have a 'family' pattern of seat / wheel/ pedal geometry i.e. the so called 'italian gorilla ' geometry with relatively sdhallow footweels and 'high set' pedals so you are reaching forward to hold the wehell unless you have really short legs

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending