The Student Room Group

Larynx

Hi guys,
I am having difficulties distringuishing the difference between the ventricle/ rima glottis and the vocal cords. Tried to find a picture to clarify this but I havent been able to.
Any help will be much appreciated
Many thanks
Original post by groovyangel2008
Hi guys,
I am having difficulties distringuishing the difference between the ventricle/ rima glottis and the vocal cords. Tried to find a picture to clarify this but I havent been able to.
Any help will be much appreciated
Many thanks

I've never heard of the rima glottis, but wikipedia says it's the space between the vocal cords.

wiki
The rima glottidis is the opening between the true vocal cords and the arytenoid cartilages

This picture seems to show the ventricle - it's the fossa above the vocal cord.
Original post by groovyangel2008
-

Do you mean you have difficulty distinguishing them when looking at the dissection table/prosected specimens? Or just a general difficulty visualising their structure in relation to other surrounding anatomy in the laryngeal cavity? The pharynx/larynx is a pretty difficult area to learn so don't beat yourself up.

ana_1_004_anatomy_of_the_airway_13_t1_02_med.jpg

This is what you see when you look down the larynx into the trachea beyond. The rima glottidis is the diameter between the two vocal cords, the ventricles are small depressions located either side (lateral and superior) of the rima glottis, and the vocal cords/ligaments are located behind sheaths of tissue called the vocal folds (they are the almost vaginal looking structures that line the laryngeal inlet) in the image above.

C9780443069529-008-f209.jpg

Hope this helps somewhat?
Thank you very much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending