The Student Room Group

I'm feeling self conscious because of my voice

For the last few months I've started noticing this more and it has made me feel self conscious.

When I speak, I can hear my normal British accent, I'm from the south east, apparently having the British accent is considered posh. However, when I'm speaking to people I know like sending voice notes or using a microphone or on a video call my voice sounds different sort of like I have a cold.

I think the reason is affecting me is because I'm studying drama, this September, and it's lead to a career in all sorts, by studying the degree at my university it can take me into journalism which is something I am interested in doing but it puts me of because of my voice changing on voice notes etc.

Does anyone have any advice like and speech exercise I could practice to change?
Original post by Anonymous
For the last few months I've started noticing this more and it has made me feel self conscious.

When I speak, I can hear my normal British accent, I'm from the south east, apparently having the British accent is considered posh. However, when I'm speaking to people I know like sending voice notes or using a microphone or on a video call my voice sounds different sort of like I have a cold.

I think the reason is affecting me is because I'm studying drama, this September, and it's lead to a career in all sorts, by studying the degree at my university it can take me into journalism which is something I am interested in doing but it puts me of because of my voice changing on voice notes etc.

Does anyone have any advice like and speech exercise I could practice to change?

If you are hoarse, your voice will sound breathy, raspy, or strained, or will be softer in volume or lower in pitch. Your throat might feel scratchy. Hoarseness is often a symptom of problems in the vocal folds of the larynx, but I think you're just over worked. I've done a drama class before and the vocals needed to be heards properly can be straining.

Drink warm liquids like tea, broth, or soup may help soothe your irritated throat (honey too), keep your airways moisturized, and thin out mucus. Try drinking around 60 ounces per day. Avoid caffeinated drinks like coffee and black tea, as they can lead to dehydration. I've also heard that you should avoid overly crunchy foods like popcorn but I'm not certain about it. Also, try taking breaks where you don't speack, just to give your vocal muscles time to recover.

Quick Reply

Latest