Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Hi y'all

    In my sheets I am revising with in the run up to my Higher exam (Scotland). the words Irradiance and Intensity of light are being used interchangeably. I have a few questions...
    1) Can I use both words? Or is there a 'favoured' word by the exam board?
    2) What unit is it measured in? Watts per metre to the minus 1 or watts per metre to the minus 2?
    3) What symbol is it in the exam sheets/data book?

    As you can see, i've had very little info on it, just a few garbled equations and some stuff from memory. Any help is appreciated.

    Thanks in advance

    Irradiance is a specific example of intensity for electromagnetic waves. So "irradiance" and "intensity of light" are the same, you will not get marked down. And it is the power per unit area so watts per square metre.

    They'll have the formula booklet on their site so check for yourself what it is.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 5, 2013
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.