The Student Room Group

Life as a law student

As a law student , how difficult is it to maintain a work life balance and also progress in your degree? Law has the reputation of being a very intensive degree and I was wondering how much that impacts the university experience .
Original post by laurajoy1
As a law student , how difficult is it to maintain a work life balance and also progress in your degree? Law has the reputation of being a very intensive degree and I was wondering how much that impacts the university experience .

Hi @laurajoy1!

I am a first year Law student so hopefully I can help! Truthfully, it can be challenging at times however it is definitely possible to have a job at university, study for your degree and still participate in activities you enjoy and be sociable.

I would say in order to ensure you maintain a good balance that it is necessary to stay on top of your university work, yet this mostly will be lecture notes (which you can do during your lectures) and preparation for your upcoming seminars. However, you will have to study for exams and write essays at times too so it is important to not leave these last minute and try to start them as early as possible so you won't feel overwhelmed.

Law is a really great degree to study and even though it can be intensive at times you will be given help from your professors and other people on your course so you will naturally progress within your degree easily. Whilst studying my degree this past year I have still been able to have the experience I was hoping for whilst maintaining 2:1s and 1sts in my modules, alongside having a part-time job too.

You will definitely be able to study law and have a great university experience!

Nicole- First year Law student
Reply 2
Thanks so much that's good to know that it's achievable
yes it has a reputation for being intense, however i'd say most degrees are, some even more so, and people who say that are merely tooting thier own horn! it's very independent - just like other courses. i know lots of people who didn't pick up a single book or article and managed to pass - not well, but passed. as long as you find a smart way to study it shouldn't take up your whole life, and you'll be able to have an apt social life :smile:
Original post by laurajoy1

Hi Laura

Great question! Uni can be a very difficult place to try and maintain a ‘work/life balance’ but if you strike the best between both it makes it all the more rewarding.

I studied law at undergrad and have just completed my LPC and both were intense but enjoyable!

My top tip would be to treat uni’s academic side as a Monday-Friday working week so that you can enjoy your weekends (although, of course, this can differ week to week so this will be proportionate to your other commitments etc!).

I would also say to make rota’s/schedules each week with everything that you have to complete academically and other commitments you have (sports/socials etc). This will allow you to understand what you can/can’t achieve so helps to ensure you won’t get overworked/booked.

I would also suggest taking time out for yourself to enjoy the things you love and trying to make law as enjoyable as possible so that you are motivated. I specifically tried to make law buddies and join study groups but there are many other ways that people strive!

I hope this helps!

Kate (Student Ambassador)
I managed to do a good mixture of hobbies (even touring abroad with the chamber choir) as well as volunteering in the law centre for years 2 and 3 of my LLB and much else. However it certainly is a harder degree than some so you will need to work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending