The Student Room Group

Institute (Hons) Bachelors VS University (Hons) Bachelors

Is there any difference what-so-ever for employers or places of study between:
a 2 year intensive (Hons) Bachelors at an Institute
VS
a 3 year normal (Hons) Bachelors at a University

It seems to me the modules taught are pretty much the same only the 2 year course is for 3 trimesters and has less time off during term breaks.

Whereas the 3 year course has more time off in between studies.

If there's any disadvantages to doing an accelerated course - aside from the pace and potential stress - I REALLY want to know.

- Your friendly neighbourhood 'Overwhelmed student-to-be' ;-;/
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Hyper_
Is there any difference what-so-ever for employers or places of study between:
a 2 year intensive (Hons) Bachelors at an Institute
VS
a 3 year normal (Hons) Bachelors at a University

It seems to me the modules taught are pretty much the same only the 2 year course is for 3 trimesters and has less time off during term breaks.

Whereas the 3 year course has more time off in between studies.

If there's any disadvantages to doing an accelerated course - aside from the pace and potential stress - I REALLY want to know.

- Your friendly neighbourhood 'Overwhelmed student-to-be' ;-;/

There's no universal answer to this.

First of all - where are you - in the UK only universities can award degrees, so what is the 'institution'?

Generally, employers are (small c) conservative and prefer qualifications they know. They will know and understand a 3 year degree from a well-reputed university. however, some employers won't be bothered.

It also depends how you spin it, obviously you can say you wanted to get on with a career, you didn't need the holidays, the 2 year degree was more like the workplace etc. You can spin it to be more work-like than traditional uni.

Botton line though, each employer will form their own view, you have to take charge of the pitch you make.
Reply 2
SAE Institute,

and thank you for all the info.
Original post by Hyper_
SAE Institute,

and thank you for all the info.

It's pretty much unheard of in the UK, and its degrees are awarded by one of the bottom ranked universities in the country. You can choose to be part of the cohort that creates its reputation, or not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending