The Student Room Group

Official A2 OCR Chemistry Practical Thread

Scroll to see replies

I hope so :frown: too late to bother trying to revise it, my practical last year went terribly, got an E and i dont expect much better this year :rolleyes:

and i was predicted an A, hah!!

Good luck to everyone anyway :biggrin:
Reply 41
I can't see why an enthalpy change would be so bad, even if it was true...

Two equations H = mc delta T
and delta H = H / n

And evaluation isn't much different - just add standard condtions and heat lost... not pure water etc.

Am I missing something?
Reply 42
If you gotta construct a hess cycle it could be dificult
Reply 43
Hmm perhaps, but the hints my teacher has been dropping are also for a redox titration, as for every1 else it seems.
Reply 44
Yep why would they be doing redox if it wasn't on redox that would be a bit stupid.
Reply 45
How many marks is there available in the practical exam?

I know its 16 marks for the planning
How does the analysis and evaluation split and what does it all add up to?

And isn't it 90 marks in total for module 5? Trying to work out how many marks are available etc.
Reply 46
120 total 60 for unifying concepts and 44 for practical and 16 for plan
how did everone find it?? i thought the evaluation bit was a biatch what did everyone put for why the gas collected was less? o and what bout if u get the chemical on you?
Reply 48
The main problem was not the actual experiment, but the amount of time it took to do it. Only just finished the paper, and had to do a very rushed evaluation, so i don't have particularly high hopes, particulalry knowing how harshly they're marking papers at the moment!
Reply 49
Reply 50
Because of the rule about discussing exams while other people might still not have done them yet, I won't go into details yet but suffice to say, I think I meesed up. My hopes of getting an A in Chemistry have just followed the purple stuff down the sink
Reply 51
how come not every 1 has done them? i thought they have to be done on the same day?
Reply 52
shyopstv
Because of the rule about discussing exams while other people might still not have done them yet, I won't go into details yet but suffice to say, I think I meesed up. My hopes of getting an A in Chemistry have just followed the purple stuff down the sink

uhh, it probably isnt that bad, u could still make up the marks on other papers.
w8wizz
i had 96cm3

Yup, Same here.
Reply 54
w8wizz
how come not every 1 has done them? i thought they have to be done on the same day?

People in the UK will have done it but there maybe some other timezone behind us somewhere that does A Level - they will have the same exam as us.
Reply 55
I thought it was alright really. I'm not sure about this exam discussion thing either, so I won't say too much.

The colour change was a bit of a pain though, especially the grey/blue --> violet bit.

I got 192cm3. There were two ammonium ions in the compound, so you had to double the moles to get the moles of ammonium.
Reply 56
Aired
I thought it was alright really. I'm not sure about this exam discussion thing either, so I won't say too much.

The colour change was a bit of a pain though, especially the grey/blue --> violet bit.

I got 192cm3. There were two ammonium ions in the compound, so you had to double the moles to get the moles of ammonium.

well done.

i got tricked, i used 1:1 because that what was in the equation. lol.

i think it was out of 3marks, i might get 1, i hope.
Reply 57
Could you think of three points for the evaluation bit? I only got two (and made up a crappy third one)
Aired
Could you think of three points for the evaluation bit? I only got two (and made up a crappy third one)

nope i could only think of one
Reply 59
For the evaluation, i just wrote about the ammonia given off reacting with the water created in the reaction, thus less ammonia collected than created. So to avoid that, u should heat it more, which means less ammonia dissolving in water, but then 1 mole of the gas will occupy more than 24dm3 so that opened more doors into what i could write.

any1 else do the calculations wrong for the titration and get x to equal 142+ instead of 5, appartently thats going to be a common mistake.

Time was a real issue

Quick Reply

Latest