The Student Room Group

Updates to Forum Designs

Scroll to see replies

looks like i wont be using this site anymore. Who ever designed/coded this new layout is awful
Looks like it's been designed by a bunch of 10 year olds.
It's not bad - not too sure on the colours: certainly the blue and orange don't seem to contrast particularly well, but on the plus side the blue doesn't seem as cold as it used to :dontknow: Likewise the post-bit colour and rep button colours need a bit of playing with, but I don't know whether that's just a case of adapting, because I'm sure people said likewise last up-date and they seemed to be fine.

The font - I'm not fond of arial, much prefer verdana. It's a tad squished, but not impossible to read for me, but as has been said plenty of people are having problems with it - so it might be worth looking at that.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
The light blue definitely looks a lot better than the grey!

Will the developers be reviewing the feedback?

Personally, I, along with many other users (if not most), believe that the site design should be returned back to what it was before this debacle.

Sure, leave the blue - but return everything back to the way it was! The new layout is horrendous and monstrous and is seriously, seriously putting me off the site, regardless of how interesting some discussions may get!

I demand a return to the old! :fuhrer:

P.S.

Is there an actual process that I can go through (with the full backing of dozens of TSR members) in order to protest against this new site design?
Original post by I Kant Spall
The one thing that really does my head in is the massive indent between where a post actually starts and where the text begins. The margin, if you will. Why can't it be streamline?

this

I just felt a little rush of pride that you used my post to demonstrate with :biggrin:
dem engrish skillz

When you click the question mark next to someone's reputation a post, the following is typed.

Reputation gems:
The Reputation gems seen here indicate how well reputed the user is, red gem indicate negative reputation and green indicates a good rep.

Srs?
When putting spoilers in, it looks horrendous! (Same with the font, it's ugly and for some people difficult to read)
I want the old TSR layout back, this looks like a website for 6 year olds!
(edited 11 years ago)
Posting as a member of this site rather than a mod.

I feel the orange is too bright and in my face. I'd much prefer it if was perhaps green to keep in with the other colours we have going on. Also look at minimising the use of the "distinctive" colour. I thought we were trying to streamline the site and make it look classy and up to date so stuff like the coloured number on the watched threads/notifications widget isn't really needed. Plus two different colours for submit reply and go advanced? Really necessary? Though if we are looking for a colour which is still orange and more amenable, the go advanced orange seems nicer. But yeah, colours we've got on this site: blue, green, orange, red (the heart by some blobs, rep), pink (the finance thing on toolbar)...few too many don't you think?

While I understand that we don't want the rep icons jumping out, would be good to at least be able to see if something's been repped or not easily, maybe if the colours in the circle only existed post rep? :dontknow:

Text wise I find this font very unreadable, I've actually had to zoom in on my screen to read it! Too skinny and close together, it looks smaller, and the indent is just weird. The old font worked fine and still fit in with your goals, please go back to that. The font change is especially unreadable in the watched thread widget.

The spoiler button is massive. If you look at it when compared to the word "spoiler" next to it, it's just ridiculous. Plus it sticks out excessive amounts on the page. Make it smaller and less obvious please.

Also I do have to agree with everyone saying it looks more childlike. I feel with nearly turning 21 that I shouldn't be on a site that looks like this. The header and footer parts look up to date and modern without looking childlike, but the whole of it makes me kinda embarrassed if people saw me on here.

Anyway, that's just my two pence worth for now. I think I told it to you all in testing, but just confirming that now I have to use it, I still dislike it hugely.
Reply 208
Woah! What happened?! I miss the old TSR:frown:EDIT: Why am I being negged for giving my opinion?
(edited 11 years ago)
The thing is, even if we do protest and even if 90% of the members are against it, the developers won't do anything about it. They seem to value the opinions of moderators and their community staff more, than the TSR members themselves! They should run beta's because this site has many users and then gather feedback.

I'm not against mods or the community staff, but they should include everyone when making the decision.
Original post by James A
The thing is, even if we do protest and even if 90% of the members are against it, the developers won't do anything about it. They seem to value the opinions of moderators and their community staff more, than the TSR members themselves! They should run beta's because this site has many users and then gather feedback.

I'm not against mods or the community staff, but they should include everyone when making the decision.

Sorry but this is not the case. They look for feedback from mods and the testing team (which any member can be on afaik).
Original post by James A

Anyone can join the TSR Testing Team where you'll get access to preview versions of changes like this on one of the test sites and the chance to give feedback before the changes happen on the main site :yes:
Original post by James A

They do - they run every update on a staging site accessible to the testing team (which consists of members and mods alike) and gather feedback before actually implementing any changes.
Reply 213
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Sorry but this is not the case. They look for feedback from mods and the testing team (which any member can be on afaik).

If this was bulldozed through and people were ignored then serious questions should be asked and whoever is responsible to be held to account

Me being attacked by Mods earlier re-affirms my distrust in TSR, it is bad enough I am being messed around and now this.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by greeneyedgirl

Original post by Potally_Tissed
Anyone can join the TSR Testing Team where you'll get access to preview versions of changes like this on one of the test sites and the chance to give feedback before the changes happen on the main site :yes:

Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
They do - they run every update on a staging site accessible to the testing team (which consists of members and mods alike) and gather feedback before actually implementing any changes.

Apologies, I should have known that! I've been on this site for under three years!!

I think I'll join the testing team :smile:
OOooooh flashy!!!

(Laaave it!!)
I think it's brilliant like this! I nice new change! Really neat.
It looks so childish, I'm embarrassed to access it in public.

Can the site designers please grow up a bit, and design a layout that is not aimed at 8 year olds.
To me, the font titles look horrifically childish, as does the watch button. The old one had an eye which made sense, but the new star is irrelevant. The font on the quote and submit buttons also looks less professional.

There is way too much orange now, it's highlighting things that shouldn't be, like the default avatar and the left/right buttons on the homepage.

I like the new reputation "orbs", but the hands look awful. Opening spoilers looks nice too.

I'm also not a fan of how flat the post headers (where the username and avatar of the poster are) are either, to me there just isn't a distinct break between posts like there used to be.

There definitely seems to be a dumbing-down of the whole design.
Reply 219
Feels extremely childish.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending