The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

This uni has one of the worst websites i've ever used

Seriously, it's so bad. Why is it so hard to find the information you need? Or it's out of date? Why is the design so bad? Why does the website tell you the complete opposite of what they tell you on the phone?

I'm so sick of it.
Unfortunately this is a trend with a lot of unis where they've moved away from individual department pages with reams of useful information to having everything centralsied in a consistent design with minimal information - but then none of the departments are able to update the information for their individual courses etc directly, and it needs to go through (presumably) three committees before one single central administrator is allowed to update it. Hence, it's always out of date and/or incorrect and the department academics and administrators are just as frustrated with it as the current and potential future students!

Other notable examples include Kings (which removed any detailed module information when they nuked all their public department pages) and SOAS (which already had often outdated information listed but then removed individual department/section module pages so you can't even have a general idea what's happening). But it looks "slick" which is apparently all the executive leadership care about I guess?
(edited 6 months ago)
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Original post by crystalvoid
Seriously, it's so bad. Why is it so hard to find the information you need? Or it's out of date? Why is the design so bad? Why does the website tell you the complete opposite of what they tell you on the phone?

I'm so sick of it.

And yet they're ranked 22nd in the UK https://www.webometrics.info/en/Europe/United%20Kingdom :moon:
Reply 3
The majority of uni sites are not particularly user-friendly. Try searching for pretty much anything and it brings up hundreds of hits, which you cannot drill down. You'd think that educational establishments would have the people with the necessary skills to carry out a better job!
Totally agree, I'm a second year student and it's a disaster. I can never find help with what I need, I just go and speak to SUSU or Student Support instead. They've given a slight redesign to a few of the main pages on the site in the last year or so, but the design is terrible, it looks so outdated and stuff is always broken. It barely works on a phone. It almost feels like they've made things worse. I wonder if they got a work experience student to do it? It doesn't look or behave like something a respected design agency would deliver.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending