The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DJMayes
Don't do dydθ \dfrac{dy}{d\theta } - do d(y2)dθ \dfrac{d(y^2)}{d\theta } . If Y is not changing then y^2 is also not changing, making the two interchangeable. However, in this circumstance y^2 is a lot easier to work with.

Why don't I ever think of these :redface:
Reply 7981
Original post by DJMayes
Don't do dydθ \dfrac{dy}{d\theta } - do d(y2)dθ \dfrac{d(y^2)}{d\theta } . If Y is not changing then y^2 is also not changing, making the two interchangeable. However, in this circumstance y^2 is a lot easier to work with.

I also tried that, but I can't find what I've done wrong, and I don't get what the mark scheme does
Reply 7982
Last ever A-level maths exam on Friday - M4. Mixed emotions..
Original post by MathsNerd1
Why don't I ever think of these :redface:

Did you ever have M1 vectors questions about finding the shortest distance between two moving things? If so, did you ever find the maximum value of the distance squared rather than the maximum value of the distance, in order to take life easier due to less surds? This is a very similar idea but applied to polar co-ordinates instead of vectors.
Reply 7984
Original post by yl95
Thanks, everyone!
Also, just curious -- how much of a 'big step' did M3, S2 and the FP modules seem to you guys? I'm starting them after my exams.

Fp2 and 3 aren't too bad, but M3 is demonic - a huge step up from M2.
Original post by CD315
Last ever A-level maths exam on Friday - M4. Mixed emotions..

I have that tomorrow (On Edexcel), will still have four more Maths exams to go though. :lol:
I have some homework for tomorrow (a couple exercises) on polar coordinates. I'm not sure what they are but I spied that it's an Fp2 topic so I'll look tonight after C4 revision! :smile:
Reply 7987
Original post by DJMayes
I have that tomorrow (On Edexcel), will still have four more Maths exams to go though. :lol:

As far as I'm aware, your M4 is significantly more interesting/harder than mine. Mine's easier than our M3 :lol:
Original post by CD315
As far as I'm aware, your M4 is significantly more interesting/harder than mine. Mine's easier than our M3 :lol:

The topics we have are:

- Relative motion
- Two dimensional collisions between spheres
- First Order Differential Equations in Mechanics
- Second Order Differential Equations in Mechanics
- Stability
Reply 7989
Original post by JenniS
I also tried that, but I can't find what I've done wrong, and I don't get what the mark scheme does

Original post by DJMayes

ah man I'd been half integrating and differentiating at the same time, it wasn't even that hard ahhhh thanks
he curve C shown in Fig. 1 has polar equation
r = a(3 + Ö5 cos q ), -p £ q < p.

(a) Find the polar coordinates of the points P and Q where the tangents to C are parallel to the initial line.
(6)
The curve C represents the perimeter of the surface of a swimming pool. The direct distance from P to Q is 20 m.

(b) Calculate the value of a.

Okay I attempted copying and pasting and it came out slightly funny it's meant to be root5costheta
For part b) Why cannot I use 8a=20 as I thought the radius was the distance. I'm getting confused...
Original post by DJMayes
Did you ever have M1 vectors questions about finding the shortest distance between two moving things? If so, did you ever find the maximum value of the distance squared rather than the maximum value of the distance, in order to take life easier due to less surds? This is a very similar idea but applied to polar co-ordinates instead of vectors.

Oh I never thought of it like that really, but I never make life easier for myself, just use a sledgehammer to break open a walnut really :tongue: As long as it gets me the correct answer then its fine by me as I usually have time spare in the exams even FP2 :biggrin:
Original post by Arva
Fp2 and 3 aren't too bad, but M3 is demonic - a huge step up from M2.

Oh no! I suck at Mechanics so this should be...fun...
Reply 7993
I've joined this weird thing at school (chose maths ofc), I open up the booklet, see this and thought: what have I gotten myself into? :/

Let ABC be a triangle with <BCA = 90°, and let D be the foot of the altitude from C. Let X be a point in the interior of the segment CD. Let K be the point on the segment AX such that BK = BC.
Similarly, let L be the point on the segment BX such that AL = AC. Let M be the point of intersection of AL and BK. Show that MK = ML.

Thank god I don't have to solve it :redface:
Reply 7994
Original post by DJMayes
The topics we have are:

- Relative motion
- Two dimensional collisions between spheres
- First Order Differential Equations in Mechanics
- Second Order Differential Equations in Mechanics
- Stability

We have relative motion in M3, and the only time differential equations ever come up in mechanics is on M2 (simple differential equations at that).

Our topics are;

- Centre of mass (proving by calculus from first principles is in there, probably the best part)
- Force Systems
- Frameworks
- Dimensions
- Gravitation
- Circular motion (banked and vertical)
- 2D collisions
Original post by CD315
We have relative motion in M3, and the only time differential equations ever come up in mechanics is on M2 (simple differential equations at that).

Our topics are;

- Centre of mass (proving by calculus from first principles is in there, probably the best part)
- Force Systems
- Frameworks
- Dimensions
- Gravitation
- Circular motion (banked and vertical)
- 2D collisions

Centres of mass are in our M2 and M3. Force systems and frameworks are M5 if we're thinking same thing (Vector moments, couples). Dimensional analysis (If that's what you're referring to) isn't in there. Gravitation is M3, as is circular motion. We share 2D collisions though!
Reply 7996
Original post by DJMayes
Centres of mass are in our M2 and M3. Force systems and frameworks are M5 if we're thinking same thing (Vector moments, couples). Dimensional analysis (If that's what you're referring to) isn't in there. Gravitation is M3, as is circular motion. We share 2D collisions though!

Such a weird set up. We don't even have the pleasure of doing M5! They removed it because there weren't enough people sitting it.
Reply 7997
Got yucky maths h/w...and its due tomorrow x_x, could someone help me out? :smile:
I got 76\frac{7}{6} for 3.a is this right?

CIMG4660.jpg

There two sides :frown: no.1 is something I have to figure out on my own :P
So I'm watching Maths 247 polar coordinates videos. Seems weird, but at least I can do the assigned questions now :smile:.
Reply 7999
Original post by keromedic
So I'm watching Maths 247 polar coordinates videos. Seems weird, but at least I can do the assigned questions now :smile:.

awesome :smile: my work is going nowhere lool, although he did say do as much as you can because I haven't learnt some of the stuff...well I've never done any questions like these

Latest

Trending

Trending