The Student Room Group

AQA AS Chemistry, unit 1

Scroll to see replies

Original post by homefind
Did anyone resit bio1? I did and found it went good, it was a decent paper :smile: so hopefully chemistry will be the same:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did and thought it went okay but I've made the worlds stupidest mistakes which will probably cost me my A :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 81
Original post by Matt_dragon
I did and thought it went okay but I've made the worlds stupidest mistakes which will probably cost me my A :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

DITTO :frown::frown:
Reply 82
Original post by Matt_dragon

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ye I know I made a stupid mistake in the percentage Qs, I realised that I had done it wrong and was about to change it but then the exam ended, I was like Noooooo!!!!! haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 83
Original post by gooner1886
I've never seen it.

Thanks for posting the explanations and the configurations though. I'll make a note of them so I don't get caught out!

youre very welcome! i didnt understand the explanations but ill memorize them better safe than sorry ehhh? :rolleyes:
Reply 84
Did anyone resit bio1? I did and found it went good, it was a decent paper :smile: so hopefully chemistry will be the same:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did the bio but did it for first time (doing chem for first time as well) I thought the paper was pretty good but three five markers?? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do all my exams in June, so it wasn't a resit but I found it hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 86
Original post by maryamnc
I did the bio but did it for first time (doing chem for first time as well) I thought the paper was pretty good but three five markers?? :frown:

Ye!! :redface: but they were good 5 markers! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 87
Original post by x-Sophie-x
I do all my exams in June, so it wasn't a resit but I found it hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

aah it was a resit for me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 88
Ye!! :redface: but they were good 5 markers! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

active transport was a bitch though
Reply 89
Original post by sofiamalik_1995
When we fill orbitals we fill the one with a lower energy level first.... so for example 4s gets filled before 3d. So generally there is f orbital present in the 4th subshell but its not relevant here because the 5p orbital is of a lower energy level than the 4f orbital hence it gets filled first

well thats the way ive been taught it.... but generally f orbitals aren't relevant till A2 :smile:

So ignore f orbitals until September then? Ok. Thanks for clearing it up!
Reply 90
It is ionic - one non-metal and one metal atom

Posted from TSR Mobile

Might be a silly question but how do you instantly know that Sulfur is a non-metal?
Reply 91
Original post by maryamnc
active transport was a bitch though

Agreed haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 92
Original post by NabRoh
Might be a silly question but how do you instantly know that Sulfur is a non-metal?

Because it isn't a metal?lol I don't know how to explain it lol, anyone else? erm well it isn't a transition and isn't in group 1 or 2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 93
Because it isn't a metal?lol I don't know how to explain it lol, anyone else? erm well it isn't a transition and isn't in group 1 or 2

Posted from TSR Mobile

I used to have this coloured periodic table which showed which is non-metal and metal xD That's how I just remembered it :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi I have a question, I'm resiting my Unit 1 tomorrow, and I cant remember the units for the volume in the equation: Moles=ConcentrationXVolume Can anybody help me?:s-smilie:
Reply 95
Original post by Charlotte13245
Hi I have a question, I'm resiting my Unit 1 tomorrow, and I cant remember the units for the volume in the equation: Moles=ConcentrationXVolume Can anybody help me?:s-smilie:

volume is in dm3 (decimeters cubed)

they usually give it in cm3 (centimeters cubed)

if its in cm3 then divide the answer by 1000..
Reply 96
Original post by Charlotte13245

Hello umm moles is just moles right? Concentration is dm^3 and volume is cm^3 (but remember to divide it by 1000 when calculating moles) :biggrin:
Reply 97
Original post by Areen5
Hello umm moles is just moles right? Concentration is dm^3 and volume is cm^3 (but remember to divide it by 1000 when calculating moles) :biggrin:

concentration is moldm^3

and volume is dm^3 (you divide by 1000 because they usually give it in cm^3)

remember that or they might trick you!
Reply 98
Hi guys to get to m3 from cm3 do you divide by 1000000?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 99
Original post by a.jiwa
people,
for AS AQA do we need to know about the anomalous electron configurations of chromium and copper?

I just had a read through the old text book and it does mention it there but im not sure if its on specification or if aqa will decide to be nasty and throw it in the exam?

The text book says :
Copper and chromium electron configurations do not follow the pattern and are anomalous:

- Chromium is 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s1 3d5
NOT 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s2 3d4

- copper is 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s1 3d10
NOT 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s2 3d9

The explanation of this which i didnt fully understand according to ye olde text book is:
The reason for these anomoules is that both cases the outer sub levels are either full or half full and the structures shown are of lower energy and represent more stable arrangements..

has ANYONE seen this come up in a past paper?

It's to do with it being more stable with a full/half full 3d orbital because it's a transition metal. It's in chem5, i wasn't aware you needed to know it in chem 1 :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending