The Student Room Group

brought a sim free unlocked phone but it has vodafone apps on it?

Hi,

I brought a samsung galaxy s3 mini off amazon and it arrived today. It's a sim free phone.
I havent put a sim card into it yet as i'm still waiting for my sim to arrive in the post, but ive charged the phone turned it on etc to make sure it all seems ok, and alls good apart from ive noticed there are 5 vodafone apps preinstalled onto the phone, and a widget on one of the home screens. there was no mention of it being tied to any network when i brought it.
when i go onto settings and phone details it says the network is unknown
I'm not bothered about the apps being there, its just ive ordered a sim through tesco for a 12 month contract and need that to work in it.

is it normal to have preinstalled network apps on a sim free phone?

(edited 10 years ago)
Do you have the link to the product? Which seller did you buy from through amazon?
Reply 2

Having a quick look at the reviews shows you're not the only one to get a branded phone

http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R1NOV0X8VT04H2/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B009PIZCI8&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=#wasThisHelpful

The problem is that it's a third party selling it and not Amazon themselves.

I suggest getting a replacement or refund if they've sold you a Vodafone one.
Reply 4
Original post by Sum Gai
Having a quick look at the reviews shows you're not the only one to get a branded phone

http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R1NOV0X8VT04H2/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B009PIZCI8&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=#wasThisHelpful

The problem is that it's a third party selling it and not Amazon themselves.

I suggest getting a replacement or refund if they've sold you a Vodafone one.

ahh thats odd :frown: it says its by indexelectronics and fulfilled by amazon, so do i go back to indexelectronics? i didnt think it was right to have vodafone apps on it but ive never had a sim free phone before to know what it was meant to be like 100%, but i think ill return it
thanks for the help :smile:
Reply 5
It is possible that it may actually be unlocked. What some sellers do is buy in network lo phones (cheaper than unlocked) and unlock them themselves before selling them as an unlocked phone to make more money. This doesn't remove the apps pre-installed on the phone but it will now work with any sim card. My phone is like this. I got it second hand and there are a couple of O2 apps on it but I'm using a Virgin mobile sim without issue. So if the Vodafone apps don't bother you I'd try your Tesco sim in there first before you go through the hassle of trying to return it.
Original post by Kyri
It is possible that it may actually be unlocked. What some sellers do is buy in network lo phones (cheaper than unlocked) and unlock them themselves before selling them as an unlocked phone to make more money. This doesn't remove the apps pre-installed on the phone but it will now work with any sim card. My phone is like this. I got it second hand and there are a couple of O2 apps on it but I'm using a Virgin mobile sim without issue. So if the Vodafone apps don't bother you I'd try your Tesco sim in there first before you go through the hassle of trying to return it.

This.

It may still be unlocked by definition, having bloatware apps does not automatically mean that it is locked. I know for a fact that almost all expensive Vodafone contract phones actually come unlocked with contracts, but just have bloatware installed on them.

Just get rid of the apps if want to try rooting, or just ignore them and live with it.
Original post by Sgt.Incontro
This.

It may still be unlocked by definition, having bloatware apps does not automatically mean that it is locked. I know for a fact that almost all expensive Vodafone contract phones actually come unlocked with contracts, but just have bloatware installed on them.

Just get rid of the apps if want to try rooting, or just ignore them and live with it.

Sure, but the customer has received an item that does not match the description. Therefore the company is responsible for sorting that out.

It could be unlocked but it'll still be a vodafone phone and only get updates when vodafone allow them.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by racheyroo
Hi,

I brought a samsung galaxy s3 mini off amazon and it arrived today. It's a sim free phone.
I havent put a sim card into it yet as i'm still waiting for my sim to arrive in the post, but ive charged the phone turned it on etc to make sure it all seems ok, and alls good apart from ive noticed there are 5 vodafone apps preinstalled onto the phone, and a widget on one of the home screens. there was no mention of it being tied to any network when i brought it.
when i go onto settings and phone details it says the network is unknown
I'm not bothered about the apps being there, its just ive ordered a sim through tesco for a 12 month contract and need that to work in it.

is it normal to have preinstalled network apps on a sim free phone?

Sim free is where the phone comes directly from the manufacturers without any network logos or app installed, so the phone is not sim free as you have vodafone apps already installed which to me i would send back as it does not match description.
Original post by Sum Gai
Sure, but the customer has received an item that does not match the description. Therefore the company is responsible for sorting that out.

It could be unlocked but it'll still be a vodafone phone and only get updates when vodafone allow them.

Well the legal definition of unlocked means its can work on any other compatible cellular network. Branding has nothing to do with it, an unlocked phone could come either branded or non-branded.

However, I had initially misunderstood the situation, it is my fault. I have realized that the phone was actually MARKETED as NON-branded, and so the OP should have received an unbranded phone. As you said, the company is in the wrong for this, and they need to rectify their mistake.

-----------------------

But OP said they aren't bothered about the apps, so it is really up to her whether she wants to return it or not, but she does has the full right to.

On the other hand, I have to say that Vodafone is one of the much better carriers in terms of releasing updates for android devices. Obviously not as fast as manufacturer updates, but they are on the whole better than other networks IMO.
Reply 10
thanks guys, my tesco sim works in the phone :smile: i did contact the company before my sim arrived and they offered me to either return the product or to give me a partial refund as it wasn't as it was described, apparantly a warehouse mistake
but as my sim works ive decided to keep the phone and take the partial refund :smile:
thanks for your help
Original post by racheyroo
thanks guys, my tesco sim works in the phone :smile: i did contact the company before my sim arrived and they offered me to either return the product or to give me a partial refund as it wasn't as it was described, apparantly a warehouse mistake
but as my sim works ive decided to keep the phone and take the partial refund :smile:
thanks for your help

Good to know everything was sorted.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending