The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by 4lpha
Can I ask why it's hydration and not hydrolysis?? xx

pretty sure both will get you the mark geezer
Original post by 4lpha
Can I ask why it's hydration and not hydrolysis?? xx

Hydration is something gaining water. Hydrolysis is a substance dissolving in water and seeing which part will join with the H and OH. I got that question wrong as well. Oh well, it is just one mark. :frown:
Reply 82
Original post by Wick3d
Which means I didn't lose another 3 marks. :biggrin: I stupidly wrote "Silver" instead of "Silver Nitrate" because for some reason the HNO3 confused my brain! So 9 out of 12 marks for that particular question. :smile:

ah damn! It's annoying making silly mistakes it doesn't actually prove that you didn't know the theory :frown:
Original post by Wick3d
Hydration is something gaining water. Hydrolysis is a substance dissolving in water and seeing which part will join with the H and OH. I got that question wrong as well. Oh well, it is just one mark. :frown:

Precisely so it was hydrolysis. WATER WAS NOT GAINED.
Reply 84
Original post by harrydry
pretty sure both will get you the mark geezer

Ahaha cheers but I'm just hearing different things and I want to make things clear xx
Original post by Secret.
ah damn! It's annoying making silly mistakes it doesn't actually prove that you didn't know the theory :frown:

Oh well, I probably dropped about 15 marks. I just love having brain farts. Especially after having the ****s all morning, due to eating some dodgy pizza hut! Word of caution, never eat pizza hut before an exam! :biggrin:
Reply 86
Original post by rugbymad123

Maybe it was adding water (hydration) to the reaction which caused the hydrolysis? Works...in both ways. :colonhash: idk what im saying

I put dehydration because I forgot.

I am now confused, did I lose or retain a mark...

Reply 88
Original post by Wick3d

Uggh I thought the molecule was splitting! But it was an alkyl hygrogensulphate going to an alcohol and sulfuric acid right?? Just read this and I'm so damn confused!! But yeah it is only one mark I guess xx

An alkyl hydrogen sulfate can be broken down to an alcohol and sulfuric acid by heating it with water (hydrolysis);

Read more: sulfate | Infoplease.com http://www.infoplease.com/encyclopedia/science/sulfate.html#ixzz2VHMzb3N0

Original post by failingatm
Maybe it was adding water (hydration) to the reaction which caused the hydrolysis? Works...in both ways. :colonhash: idk what im saying

I put dehydration because I forgot.

Don't worry, brain farts are very common during exam period!
Reply 90
This is going to be stupid, but for the bit where it asked to mark on the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution curve the Emp, for some reason I thought that you had to put the line just right to the peak rather than to the peak.
Reply 91
Original post by Wick3d
Oh well, I probably dropped about 15 marks. I just love having brain farts. Especially after having the ****s all morning, due to eating some dodgy pizza hut! Word of caution, never eat pizza hut before an exam! :biggrin:

Hahaha I definitely will keep that in mind for next time :biggrin: And good thing is you can lose up to 20-25 marks and still come out with an A/112+ UMS so all is still good :smile: I just hope the mark scheme isn't so specific in some areas, it's easy to lose marks that way
Reply 92
Original post by Wick3d
I am now confused, did I lose or retain a mark...

This is so me right now ahahahha
Reply 93
Original post by chernid
This is going to be stupid, but for the bit where it asked to mark on the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution curve the Emp, for some reason I thought that you had to put the line just right to the peak rather than to the peak.

That would be the average energy :redface:
Reply 94

Yeah I think hydrolysis is right, that's what it is at A2 (for that exact reaction). I put hydration though because I had my chem 2 head on but I think it was hydrolyis! I'm pretty sure that doesn't come up in chem 2 though so maybe they'd allow both :smile: Only one mark though!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by chernid

I am sure that will be fine, as long as you clearly labelled where you wanted the Emp to placed. Right at the peak right? :wink:
Reply 96
Original post by Jesss9
Yeah I think hydrolysis is right, that's what it is at A2 (for that exact reaction). I put hydration though because I had my chem 2 head on my I think it was hydrolyis! I'm pretty sure that doesn't come up in chem 2 though so maybe they'd allow both :smile: Only one mark though!

I'm doing Chem 4 this year and I learnt it as hydrolysis! Just have to wait and see :s-smilie: xx
Reply 97
Original post by Wick3d
Don't worry, brain farts are very common during exam period!

Pretty sure my brain was farting more than not in this exam. The simplest things had me confused.
Reply 98
Original post by Blobar
99% Sure sulfuric acid can too.

It can but thats not the catalyst used in industry
Reply 99
I remember getting these three as the structures anyone else??
Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending