The Student Room Group

STEP 2013 Solutions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rexsun
Is it a valid to argue that since u2n=1+1/(u2n1) \displaystyle u_{2n} = 1+1/(u_{2n-1})
then if  u2n1 \ u_{2n-1} tends to a limit then surely is  u2n \ u_{2n}
?

It is a fact for all sequences that if (un)n0(u_n)_{n \geq 0} converges, then (un+1)n0(u_{n+1})_{n \geq 0} converges to the same limit. It is also a fact that if u_n has a convergent subsequence, and the sequence u_n converges, then the limit of u_n is the same as that of the convergent subsequence.
Original post by mikelbird
I think this is OK for Step 1 Q6

you have a mistake, 0C0 should be 1
Reply 242
Don't quite understand S1,Q3, for why the part2's answer is not "and" but "or?
What it means is (X*(Y*Z)) is only ever equal in value to ((X*Y)*Z for ANY points X,Y,Z when lambda takes specific values...find those values!!
Original post by cxs
Don't quite understand S1,Q3, for why the part2's answer is not "and" but "or?
Reply 244
yeah then I think these values should all not be zero?
What it means is (X*(Y*Z)) is only ever equal in value to ((X*Y)*Z for ANY points X,Y,Z when lambda takes specific values...find those values!!
Let me explain...Work out X*(Y*Z) for x,y,z using the given expression for X*Y
Similarly for (X*Y)*Z for x,y,z
Put the two expressions you get equal then what restrictions does this place on lambda?? (so it will work for ANY x,y,z)
When you have the values it means that the only time the two original expressions in X,Y,Z are equal for all values is
the two values you have found.
Any other values of lambda means that the two expressions in X,Y,Z will be distinct for all values of x,y,z except the trivial
case x=y=z=0.
Reply 246
but , for example, lambda=0.1 and x=z, it satisfy "lamda<>0, 1 or X <> Z", but they are not distinct, so I think it must satisfy "lambda<>0, 1 and X <>Z" ?
Let me explain...Work out X*(Y*Z) for x,y,z using the given expression for X*Y
Similarly for (X*Y)*Z for x,y,z
Put the two expressions you get equal then what restrictions does this place on lambda?? (so it will work for ANY x,y,z)
When you have the values it means that the only time the two original expressions in X,Y,Z are equal for all values is
the two values you have found.
Any other values of lambda means that the two expressions in X,Y,Z will be distinct for all values of x,y,z except the trivial
case x=y=z=0.
exactly right....I was hoping you would see this extra condition...thats what gets the extra marks in STEP!!
Original post by cxs
but , for example, lambda=0.1 and x=z, it satisfy "lamda<>0, 1 or X <> Z", but they are not distinct, so I think it must satisfy "lambda<>0, 1 and X <>Z" ?
Reply 248
exactly right....I was hoping you would see this extra condition...thats what gets the extra marks in STEP!!

Thanks for your explain!
Actually i’m wondering whether the extra points have truly be given to candidates… for the only question I can see there could be a huge improve for the answer is 2007,S2,Q5, and other questions the MS is fairly good—hard to find any error or improve
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 249
For STEP III, Q5

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending