The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

resits & prestige & london

Hi

I was wondering what ur opinion on resitting of exams is; basically for the first half of my As year at college I suffered from depression, as a result my college work suffered and I know for certain I will not get the three As I am predicted this summer, thus, I am planning on retaking the exams in jan and july.. when I apply to uni will I have to inform them of my resits and the reason,, as obviously they would not accept the three bs or cs I am most likely going to get.. and would they see this as a bad thing?

Also prestige wise, and any other “wise”… is queen mary London a good uni,., is it seen as a good place etc and good nightlife?

Also opinions on BRUNEL would be nice.. and I don’t know much about it so how far is it from the city etc?

And is London a good place to study or not?.. and im scared I’ll be homesick as I’m from Leeds; but after 17 years Leeds has become majorly boring so I def wanna get out and London seems to be the only place to go!

Okay so I know two of these are quite vague but I’d appreciate as much help as possible as I’m soooOOOooo new to this!

Thank you in anticipation!!

xx
Reply 1
I visited Leeds last weekend after a few friends had just graduated. I don't know how they done it! 3 years living in what looked like squalor.

London is an excellent place to study, and as QM is part of the UoL, you get further resources than other non-UoL institutes. Being that QM is basically as good as in Central London, you will be able to make use of these facilities. If that doesn't interest you, which Senate House really wasn't the place for me, then the British Library has a lovely ambience where you could easily study all night for peace and quiet.

Regarding overall reputation - worldwide wise - certainly not bad. In fact rather above average. Country based and empoyer based, not bad either.

There is league tables but I don't know where the hell QM is now, and quite frankly I don't care, because it really doesn't matter. I did know it was in the top 100 wroldwide at some point when I have been at QM. However, this is probably subjective on how they drew their methodology and their conclusions.

Oh - reputation wise could also depend on the subject you are doing. Obviosuly certain departments such as law have excellent reputations whilst others, I'm sure not as good and rely on the universities overall rep.

I'm not really in position to go on about Brunel - but I would rather a UoL college. Try the Brunel forum or even better the choice subject forum.

Nightlife - look at other threads on here :smile:

Resits - god knows! Depends how competitive the department is I guess and how they would potentially look for an excuse not to accept you - so don't make it happen. :smile:
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Latest

Trending

Trending