The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Single sex flats in Queen Mary

So I've been looking at halls in Queen Mary in advance and I saw that you can only get single-sex flats if you're sharing bathrooms. I intend to get an ensuite, since I'm very big on personal space. And my mum won't let me live in a flat with mixed genders, since we're ,Muslim. Is there really not anyway to have an ensuite and an all girls flat?
Reply 1
Original post by Scotland Yard
Nope. In fact I'm surprised to learn we have single-sex accomodation at all on campus! Definitely a rare thing.

Your mum is being a bit silly, I think. The ensuite flat basically means you share a kitchen with other people. That's it. Is that bad that when you're cooking you might bump into a boy?

It's not just my mum it's also me. Since I wear a hijab, I just think it'd be more comfortable for me to stay with all girls. All in all when I go to offers day ill ask more in detail and if there's nothing for me to do about it, I'll have to find a way to persuade my mum
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Nope. In fact I'm surprised to learn we have single-sex accomodation at all on campus! Definitely a rare thing.

Your mum is being a bit silly, I think. The ensuite flat basically means you share a kitchen with other people. That's it. Is that bad that when you're cooking you might bump into a boy?

I don't think you should call her worries silly, everyone has preferences, she's asking if the University accommodates her preferences, as she feels comfortable in a same-gender living environment.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #1
So I've been looking at halls in Queen Mary in advance and I saw that you can only get single-sex flats if you're sharing bathrooms. I intend to get an ensuite, since I'm very big on personal space. And my mum won't let me live in a flat with mixed genders, since we're ,Muslim. Is there really not anyway to have an ensuite and an all girls flat?

If this was important why didn't you check before you appliied? Maybe look at other unis.
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
If this was important why didn't you check before you appliied? Maybe look at other unis.

My step mum went there and she said that there was an option for same-sex flats, I just assumed it had stayed the same.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous #2
I don't think you should call her worries silly, everyone has preferences, she's asking if the University accommodates her preferences, as she feels comfortable in a same-gender living environment.

Thank you hun. So many people keep saying that it's strange, but it's just a preference. Like how people's favourite colour, it isn't that deep.

For a mod this is such a tone deaf thing to say. She clearly stated she doesn’t want to for religious reasons, which isn’t silly at all.
Reply 7
Original post by certii_db
For a mod this is such a tone deaf thing to say. She clearly stated she doesn’t want to for religious reasons, which isn’t silly at all.

People keep being mean whenever I say this but now it doesn't even matter since Queen Mary isn't even my top choice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending