The Student Room Group

Units help

Hi first post here,
I have a dilemma with the units on this question….. You work as a Test Engineer for a global manufacturer of electrical and mechanical components and systems. Your Line Manager is responsible for delegating to you and your colleagues the testing of theory, principles, and hypotheses from several worldwide company divisions. They have asked you to undertake a series of such evaluations.

Activity Task 1: Differentiate each of the following functions with respect to time and hence determine the 'rate of change' for each of the functions when time t, is 2 seconds. Ensure units are given in each case.
a) v = (4t + 6)5 b) i = (3t + 5t -1)3 c) 2=10ge(7t3) d) i = 2e (6t-2) e) v=cos(2t3 + 7t +8) f) i = 3esin (t)

So I have answered all of these questions no problem, I am confident i= amperes per meter But v, I am not sure if it’s volts per meter or because it could be mechanical it could related to displacement in which it would be meters per second. If anyone could shed some light for me who may have done it or is doing this course too. The question is very vague in my opinion. I have asked the tutor but he is yet to get back to me and I only need this to complete the unit and submit the assignment

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
Original post by TMRH
Hi first post here,
I have a dilemma with the units on this question….. You work as a Test Engineer for a global manufacturer of electrical and mechanical components and systems. Your Line Manager is responsible for delegating to you and your colleagues the testing of theory, principles, and hypotheses from several worldwide company divisions. They have asked you to undertake a series of such evaluations.

Activity Task 1: Differentiate each of the following functions with respect to time and hence determine the 'rate of change' for each of the functions when time t, is 2 seconds. Ensure units are given in each case.
a) v = (4t + 6)5 b) i = (3t + 5t -1)3 c) 2=10ge(7t3) d) i = 2e (6t-2) e) v=cos(2t3 + 7t +8) f) i = 3esin (t)

So I have answered all of these questions no problem, I am confident i= amperes per meter But v, I am not sure if it’s volts per meter or because it could be mechanical it could related to displacement in which it would be meters per second. If anyone could shed some light for me who may have done it or is doing this course too. The question is very vague in my opinion. I have asked the tutor but he is yet to get back to me and I only need this to complete the unit and submit the assignment

Thanks in advance
I should say that the v is a lower case v, not a upper case V which is why it’s confusing
Original post by TMRH
I should say that the v is a lower case v, not a upper case V which is why it’s confusing

hi there did you get any where with the units?
Reply 3
Original post by TMRH
Hi first post here,
Thanks in advance

Hi there, Currently doing the same. I have gone with volts, as its amps.
Reply 4
How long are you finding it takes to get assignments marked?
Original post by Pablo999
How long are you finding it takes to get assignments marked?

hi mate. My fist one took a day. i submitted it in the morning and had it back the next morning
Hi there, Currently doing the same. I have gone with volts, as its amps.

I am confused with this question. The rate of change is simple enough to calculate but the question is vague or am i missing something obvious with the thinking of its amps?

For the first rate of change i got an answer of 768,320 is that what you got?
Reply 7
Original post by Sparksrus
I am confused with this question. The rate of change is simple enough to calculate but the question is vague or am i missing something obvious with the thinking of its amps?
For the first rate of change i got an answer of 768,320 is that what you got?

Thats what i got, seems high, but then we work in real world and this is theoretical
(edited 2 weeks ago)
Reply 8
2nd one i got 22,491
2nd one i got 22,491

hi mate yeah same. Must be on the right path then. Are you sticking with volt for the unit?

Quick Reply

Latest