The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Refrigerator
This is difficult to say, as every college does it differently, and they tend not to release details about exactly how they use BMAT and UMS scores, short of saying that both are just a part of the admissions process.

You should check specific college's websites and perhaps contact their admissions tutors if you want to find out more, but tbh, I searched high and low for the answer to this question myself when applying, and couldn't find anything other than "they both play a part in the process".

Ah okay thank you, I may contact a college or two to see if I get an answer.
Are you at Cambridge studying medicine?
Original post by Razer_M

You could try emailing, but they're unlikely to tell you specific information.

If you go onto the Cambridge subforum on TSR, there's an "Ask an Admissions Tutor, Part 2" thread. You could ask on that thread, but I'd be surprised if you were given a direct answer.
Reply 42
when does one start for bmat? i got loads of other stuff to do...perhaps mid septermber? applying for oxford
Reply 43
How much time should be spent preparing for the bmat?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Razer_M

If you do get a straight answer, please let us know :smile: and yes, going into second year in October.

Original post by ocelot92
when does one start for bmat? i got loads of other stuff to do...perhaps mid septermber? applying for oxford

Original post by Tcwillbe

Most people I know who were taking BMAT extra seriously (ie multiple BMAT unis) started early september.
If you do get a straight answer, please let us know :smile: and yes, going into second year in October.

Congrats on getting into Cambridge! Mind sharing ur BMAT score and AS UMS? :smile: Also, would you say the bmat crash course is worth it?
Reply 46

Ah right congrats, it's my first choice :biggrin:
I will try, just some initial searches has just ended with:

Of the 254 admitted with 3 or more A-levels: the median score for Q1 of the BMAT was 6.0; the
median score for Q2 of the BMAT was 6.1; the median percentage for UMS was 96%.

which i am assuming was pretty common knowledge. I have a plan though !

Original post by Next Level
Congrats on getting into Cambridge! Mind sharing ur BMAT score and AS UMS? :smile: Also, would you say the bmat crash course is worth it?

^^ s'il vous plait :colondollar:
Original post by Next Level

Thanks very much :smile: I got 7.5, 7.3 and 4.5A. AS UMS average was 96.

And yes, the BMAT crash course is definitely worth it - The guys we had last year who went on kaplan as well said ours was much more helpful (and it's 1/5th of the price).
Thanks very much :smile: I got 7.5, 7.3 and 4.5A. AS UMS average was 96.

And yes, the BMAT crash course is definitely worth it - The guys we had last year who went on kaplan as well said ours was much more helpful (and it's 1/5th of the price).

I presume you're one of the organisers? (From the way you said "ours".)

That's weird, I imagine the person who asked you that wasn't aware you were actually involved in running it. Kind of coincidental.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I presume you're one of the organisers? (From the way you said "ours".)

That's weird, I imagine the person who asked you that wasn't aware you were actually involved in running it. Kind of coincidental.

Yep. It does say in my signature that I'm involved in organising it, so I assume that's why he asked :smile:
Reply 50
Original post by Tcwillbe

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would say that as soon as your UCAS form has been sent off, you should start doing some solid preparation for the BMAT, giving you approximately a month. I spent 2/3 hours every day after sending off my UCAS application preparing for it and I think that this is necessary to ensure that you get the best possible score!
The main preparation I did was relearning all the GCSE Biology content as well as Physics (as I don't do it for A level), and of course BMAT practice papers (and TSA ones for further section 1 practice)
Reply 51
Thanks so much for your responses :smile:
Reply 52
What books should I buy for the bmat :smile:? Hoping to apply for Cambridge
Ums average of 98% at AS and 9 a*s at gcse aswell as additional maths and an as at grade A I took early

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 9967
What books should I buy for the bmat :smile:? Hoping to apply for Cambridge
Ums average of 98% at AS and 9 a*s at gcse aswell as additional maths and an as at grade A I took early

This one - BMAT 400 questions - not perfect by any means, as some questions are too easy and others are ridiculously hard (compared to the standard of the real exam) but it's a pretty good resource considering there aren't too many practice papers available.

CGP revision guides for biology and physics (GCSE or AS, depending on exam board) which cover the topics that you don't know would also be helpful. For example, our school didn't cover the eye, ears, kidneys, hormones, menstrual cycle etc for biology, and transformers, series/parallel circuits etc in GCSE physics, so you would need some sort of guide to teach you the basics of those.

The "official" BMAT book wasn't helpful at all, at least compared to the 400Q one.

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 54
Hey everyone :smile:

Would you guys reckon 92 % UMS avg is good enough for Cambridge?
Reply 55
I was wondering if medicine at cambridge is a possibility for me

At gcse I got 4A*s 3As 1B (and a few other none gcse qualifications)
At AS I got:
Biology A 274/300
Chemistry A 261/300
Maths A 280/300
Physics A 267/300

I go to a state school and I performed better than anyone in both my gcses and AS. I have been practicing the BMAT where I have been getting between 6.5 to 7.5 in sections 1 & 2. I and doing all 4 subjects for A2 as well as an EPQ and will probably be predicted A*A*A*A*
Reply 56
Original post by prafto
Hey everyone :smile:

Would you guys reckon 92 % UMS avg is good enough for Cambridge?

Above 90% should be good enough, provided of course that your BMAT and personal statement are good too.
Cambridge says this about UMS:
In the last admissions round the average Cambridge applicant scored about 90 per cent on this measure, while the average successful Cambridge applicant scored nearer 95 per cent. Note that both these figures are averages, which means that there were successful Cambridge applicants who had UMS averages in their best/most relevant three subjects below 90 per cent.

Taken from here: http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/publications/docs/requirements.pdf.
Reply 57
Original post by K_o_46
I was wondering if medicine at cambridge is a possibility for me

At gcse I got 4A*s 3As 1B (and a few other none gcse qualifications)
At AS I got:
Biology A 274/300
Chemistry A 261/300
Maths A 280/300
Physics A 267/300

I go to a state school and I performed better than anyone in both my gcses and AS. I have been practicing the BMAT where I have been getting between 6.5 to 7.5 in sections 1 & 2. I and doing all 4 subjects for A2 as well as an EPQ and will probably be predicted A*A*A*A*

Well it's a possibility for everybody, but not a probability... Check your UMS. If it's above 90% (check the post above), then that's good. But that's not the only thing that matters; the BMAT and personal statement does too.
Reply 58
Original post by originaltitle
Well it's a possibility for everybody, but not a probability... Check your UMS. If it's above 90% (check the post above), then that's good. But that's not the only thing that matters; the BMAT and personal statement does too.

Yh its 90.17%. This comes as quite a relief for me.
I am most upset about chemistry because my teacher took off 12 UMS marks in the ISA for "unsafe behaviour"
Reply 59
Original post by K_o_46
Yh its 90.17%. This comes as quite a relief for me.
I am most upset about chemistry because my teacher took off 12 UMS marks in the ISA for "unsafe behaviour"

90.17% is good; you're safe. But you mustn't forget that the average UMS for those who got accepted is closer to 95%, so you must make extra sure that you score exceptionally well on the BMAT and make a very good personal statement.

Latest

Trending

Trending