The Student Room Group

The Godfather: The most boring film ever made....

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Obviously this is all opinion but I genuinely loved The Godfather, if you want a big action shoot out film it isn't that but it is a great story, the characters and their development is both believable and brilliant.
Reply 21
I found The Godfather to be really boring which disappointed me because it was a movie I had been dying to see for ages.

I prefer Scarface. Scarface is a great movie.
Reply 22
I loved The Godfather. I loved everything about. Apart from killing off Sonny so soon, he could have brought a little more family conflict to the trilogy. I'd give it 9/10 (to this day, I don't think I've scored a film 10/10 EVER.)Didn't like the 2nd one as much. The 3rd one was kinda saved by Andy Garcia but then equally destroyed by the actress who played Michael's daughter. I....cringe...everytime....I....see.....her

You're intitled to your opinion, I can see how it's not for everyone. I agree that there are people who say they like it for the sake of seeming 'cool' but don't forget, there are a lot of people who geniunely like it for the right reasons, you can't slate their opinion.
Reply 23
I think the original is good, the movie doesn't seem like it's novel, perhaps because it is not detailed enough.
Original post by whateverusayiam
It's almost cool to like this film. To have seen it. To talk about it. To have it in your collection. Who doesn't? Well, I don't - because I'm not buying it. I mean, let's face it, it has nothing to do with reality. It moves slowly, almost no action, and the drama that is there......is so artificial that it's not worth the time by a longshot. And oh, the time... The first one is 175 minutes of pure bore, the other not far off.

OK sure you believed all the hype and you own it as well. How often do you watch it? Do you ACTUALLY think that this triology enriches your life?

No, the green lantern was boring, daredevil was boring, the break up was boring, the godfather was definatley not boring. It's strong intro was attention grabbing and i loved the way the plot was fixed into the movie as it left the viewers wanting more. Something today's 'movies' cant do :mad:
If you look at it more deeply you will find some sound truths about life, love and human relations. Just mustn't watch it like you watch "Desperate Housewifes"
i found the godfather boring too tbh
I've had mixed success showing this film to people. Some adore, some hate it. In my experience you know within about three minutes what you think of it so if hasn't worked for you by then it's probably not going to happen. The second is also fantastic. The third is dire.
I think Godfather II is a better film than I, it has more convincing storylines and extended drama - the first film is somewhat 'bitty'.

However, it is very memorable, the way they set up the murder scene in the restaurant for example, partly for its sheer awfulness and the bluff, indifferent way they approach killing their rivals. Some deeply unintentionally funny bits as well, such as the famous "may your first born child be a masculine child" - that mumbling stooge was actually a real-life mafiosi - the capos who controlled New York insisted one of their number be included in the movie!

They remain the definitive Pacino performances, but criticism could be laid at Marlon Brando's door - he is brilliant, but he rarely rises above the method and at times seems almost mechanically going through his lines.

EDIT Here's the not meant to be comic bit with Luca Brasi - the poor guy was dragged into the movie set by the local Mafia boss, but he was actually suffering the aftereffects of a stroke.
(edited 10 years ago)
The trilogy as a whole is an excellent, if slow-moving and elegiac, story of a dynasty. I think they are films that demand your undivided attention to be appreciated wholly, but then I can understand why that might not be to everyone's enjoyment - as with most things in life, film taste is wholly subjective.
Original post by whateverusayiam
It's almost cool to like this film. To have seen it. To talk about it. To have it in your collection. Who doesn't? Well, I don't - because I'm not buying it. I mean, let's face it, it has nothing to do with reality. It moves slowly, almost no action, and the drama that is there......is so artificial that it's not worth the time by a longshot. And oh, the time... The first one is 175 minutes of pure bore, the other not far off.

OK sure you believed all the hype and you own it as well. How often do you watch it? Do you ACTUALLY think that this triology enriches your life?

No way. The Godfather is incredible, you sound like someone who thinks Transformers is a masterpiece. It takes its time, digs deeply into the characters, creates an incredible level of tension, which is cathartically released through brilliant scenes of purposeful violence and has some of the best writing, acting and directing ever put to screen. And then Part 2 comes along and elaborates on all of this even further, creating what I consider an even better film.

This is a masterpiece, pure and simple. It's not trying to portray reality, that's the job of Goodfellas (another brilliant film), but The Godfather is an epic story of family, crime, power and America, with the Corleone family essentially being more of an empire than a mob.
I agree with you.
You're just to stupid to realize its the best movie on earth

Quick Reply

Latest