The Student Room Group

Film & Lit for French A Level revision (help!)

Hi! My a levels are this year with mocks coming up and i have no idea how to revise the literature and film sections. I'm doing Intouchables and No et Moi and my film and book. (I do edexcel)
I have been told to do things like revise themes and specific phrases but I have no idea how to! (same goes with quotes)
I normally need something quite structured that isn't going to bore me (I get very easily distracted/procrastinate).
Any advice / resources?? would be so grateful!!
Original post by eayyy3
Hi! My a levels are this year with mocks coming up and i have no idea how to revise the literature and film sections. I'm doing Intouchables and No et Moi and my film and book. (I do edexcel)
I have been told to do things like revise themes and specific phrases but I have no idea how to! (same goes with quotes)
I normally need something quite structured that isn't going to bore me (I get very easily distracted/procrastinate).

Hi @eayyy3

I took German A Level, but I had to study a book and film too so maybe I can help!

For the book/literature, try and get your own copy if you can so you can scribble all over it with notes, vocab, translations, etc.

For the film, I liked to break down my revision based on what topics had come up in the exam paper before. So for me this was: Themes, Characters, Music and Sound, Social and Historical Context.

I made sure I watched the film a few times across the year to keep myself refreshed - even if you don't understand every single word, the more familiar you are with the plot, the more likely you are to feel comfortable knowing the film.

I made mind maps and flashcards for the characters and themes for the book and film, trying to add in adjectives to describe the characters, their key personality traits, key quotes. I also made really rubbish - but helpful - cartoons of the characters to try and visualise them! This just helped my revision feel less dull. And also have a go at explaining the film and book to a friend or family member who doesn't know them in English to see what you remember.

And finally, there's nothing quite like trying out past exam questions. I'm sure Edexcel will have some online. Give them ago, even the same ones over and over, as you'll keep improving each time. And the more practice you have at structuring an answer, the more confident you'll get. And this can help your general writing skills too.

Good luck!
Emily 🙂
Student Rep at BCU
Original post by eayyy3

hey!! im doing A level French too, ive found it really helpful to break up the key themes and characters from the book/film into summary mind maps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending