The Student Room Group

Official 2023-24 Scottish Students (National 5s, Highers and Advanced Highers) chat

This thread is where the TSRians of ScotQuals can relax and chat about whatever they want :smile:

Is your geography teacher doing your head in?* Induction days sending you to sleep?* Or did you just bake a cake? :gah:* It can all go in here- enjoy :smile:

Perhaps start by introducing yourself:

What do you want us to call you?
Pronouns:
Qualifications you're taking this year:
Favourite film:

Share as much or as little detail as you wish :yep:

Scroll to see replies

Quoting in everyone who has posted in the scottish qualifications forum this year so far. :biggrin:

Spoiler

Pink dolphin_05
x

amer06
x

Clown_freak
x

Kindlef345
x

eili3m
x

Rum3n77
x

zay225
x

rhiifuu
x

cooljellyfish12
x

anonymous750
x

m0on4ge_d4ydreAm
x

Ring Zero
x

warishahshahid
x

GTTan345
x

Aditya Bharadwaj
x

ellie.jac056
x

JammyWammy
x

S1098
x

bloomz
x

Anonymouswoman3
x

DevilRJ
x

Josie__B
x

Sophlizael
x

Jet2
x

Jammacaroni
x

CamembertPaws
x

Gordon K.
x

helper1guy
x

coffeecroissant
x

University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
x

a_rose6
x

A11yJ
x

Top G(FR)
x

_tjola7
x

Idkwhattopick
x

_samantha.smithh
x

Heriot Watt Rep
x

andRoss
x

rose.clm
x

khx012
x

Bryce123321
x

student061420
x

engineering06
x

plato.soup
x

bkamalx
x

BlueCormorant
x

Zirshhh
x

michellekumah1
x

shrubbyrelic67
x

samsharp3
x

anniewalker444
x

username6323689
x

harrietbj
x

francesdia
x

shaun_smith
x

astro_olive
x

laura.mcn
x

username6066735
x

MadisonBailey06
x

ZeJay
x

Cindy100
x

michaelfarnell5
x

*°•._ 𝒯Ø𝓍𝒾𝒸_.•°*
x

Joanne_Gallacher
x

Hiphop678
x

personperson11
x

Bananana13
x

mushr00m_b0i
x

Jelip
x

ninau202
x

fxgx
x

Golae2451
x

Amelia204
x

apples223
x

downexe
x

medstudent1011
x

helpp pls
x

helpfuldad
x

FM23
x

floraaa525
x

NightDay
x

annamiller05
x

JJEdwards
x

valeria_19x
x

username6084192
x

Thomas Limpitlaw
x
Reply 2
Hi,
Just call me by my username.
pronouns: He/ Him
Taking: AH Biology, AH Modern Studies, Higher sociology and Higher Politics
Favourite film: Heathers
(edited 8 months ago)
What do you want us to call you? Jess
Pronouns: she/her
Qualifications you're taking this year: AH English, AH Music & AH Mandarin
Favourite film: Legally Blonde
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 4
You can call me Zay
Pronouns: she/her
Qualifications this year: AH maths, physics, chem & H human bio
Favourite film: Howls moving castle atm
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 5
Just went to Glasgow uni open day today and I’m more confused then ever :angry: still don’t know whether to apply and defer or apply on my gap year
Original post by zay225
Just went to Glasgow uni open day today and I’m more confused then ever :angry: still don’t know whether to apply and defer or apply on my gap year

Which course do you want to study?
Reply 7
Original post by 04MR17
Which course do you want to study?

Medicine - I’m leaning towards applying during my gap year since I’ll volunteer more and get work experience giving me a lot to write about in personal statement and a greater understanding of the field
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 8
John
She/her
Higher English, maths, physics, chemistry, engineering

I plan to go to uni after S6 I’m currently in S5. I would go after S5 but I’ll be 16 a bit young. I don’t know what to do with S6 I essentially have a free year as my school and none around other advanced engineering. I want to go into engineering. So either a job or just crash sone higher do other advanced or whatever. Idk what’s best. But my main problem is sbout university and where to live. My mum wants me to live at home. I personally don’t I don’t like the environment. However she won’t fund me leaving as she doesn’t want me to. If I stay I get there by train it’s about 1 hour maybe longer or shorter depending on the train. The cost overall does end up maybe £2000 less than living there and that doesn’t include the food I’d need to buy at uni. And sure I can get a part time job at uni but it won’t help that much. I didn’t want to get in any debt taking out a student loan. And I know it’s the best interest you ever get but I know people still paying it off I don’t want that hanging over my head if it’s not necessary. Even if you live but not within the university it’s still pricey. Do I just commute and get over it? But given the long commute and train times it means the latest I can do things there is around 11pm. Which isn’t bad and if I make friends I suppose sone days I can stay over but I won’t have any clothes. Plus my family environment I don’t enjoy I don’t want to be here for tjat long with the added stress of uni work. Thoughts?
Reply 9
Hey! I'm Vi and my pronouns are she/her. I'm taking Chemistry, English, History, Human Biology and RMPS all at higher. My favourite film is Funeral Parade of Roses :smile:
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 10
Has anyone seen the exam timetable yet?
I think the timings for the exams are awful, I have Higher politics then AH Bio 1 day apart and my brother has Nat5 Maths and drama on the same day, then Graphics and German on the same day as well.
its not looking good for us :frown:
Original post by TDCTV
I think the timings for the exams are awful, I have Higher politics then AH Bio 1 day apart and my brother has Nat5 Maths and drama on the same day, then Graphics and German on the same day as well.

Mine are quite spread out, I have Higher English and RMPS one day apart but other than that it's pretty decent for me. Much better than this year when I had 3 exams in a row... Sorry about your brother's timetable though :frown:
Reply 12
Original post by TDCTV

Yh my whole timetable sucks so bad. Got physics first with like no study time before then english a few days after maths. Then a long time engineering and near the end of exam pwriod chemistry. Just really annoying spread out timings. Also physics being first sucks
Original post by zay225
Medicine - I’m leaning towards applying during my gap year since I’ll volunteer more and get work experience giving me a lot to write about in personal statement and a greater understanding of the field

Original post by zay225
I'd say the gap year option works best. But the real expert on this is @_Rusty_
Original post by 04MR17
I'd say the gap year option works best. But the real expert on this is @_Rusty_

@zay225, a gap year is a brilliant option to gain experience within healthcare. It helps with the interviews as you have that personal insight which may help you answer some questions.

Can I ask why you are confused? What are you grades?

Thanks
Reply 15
Original post by _Rusty_
@zay225, a gap year is a brilliant option to gain experience within healthcare. It helps with the interviews as you have that personal insight which may help you answer some questions.

Can I ask why you are confused? What are you grades?

Thanks

AAAAA at highers end of S5, I’ve been told by some teachers and admissions to just apply and defer but I’m also quite young to be in S6 so don’t feel prepared for interviews due to lack of experience and maturity-wise

Im feeling more solid in my plan to apply next year though so I’ll see how it goes
What do you want us to call you? Pranjol
Pronouns He/Him
Qualifications you're taking this year: AH Modern, H politics and either AH English or Business (undecided but possibly both)
Favourite film: Scarface or The Godfather pt 1
Original post by zay225
AAAAA at highers end of S5, I’ve been told by some teachers and admissions to just apply and defer but I’m also quite young to be in S6 so don’t feel prepared for interviews due to lack of experience and maturity-wise

Im feeling more solid in my plan to apply next year though so I’ll see how it goes

Do what you feel is right for YOU. Not what your teachers think. In hindsight I wouldn’t have been ready to go to uni as soon as I left post-16 education - a gap year allowed me to mature and be more adequately equipped for a life away from home.

if you think a gap year will be beneficial to you, then do it! We’ll be here for you when you apply to study medicine next year:biggrin:
Reply 18
Original post by _Rusty_
Do what you feel is right for YOU. Not what your teachers think. In hindsight I wouldn’t have been ready to go to uni as soon as I left post-16 education - a gap year allowed me to mature and be more adequately equipped for a life away from home.

if you think a gap year will be beneficial to you, then do it! We’ll be here for you when you apply to study medicine next year:biggrin:

Thank you!! This means a lot :smile:
Original post by TDCTV

All 3 of my Advanced Highers are within the space of less than 2 weeks... I'm not happy about it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending