The Student Room Group

sine and cosine rule help tah

hey can anyone help me with 15b???? thanks xx
Original post by mickymouse1995

Have a look at the triangles that the question suggests.

1. Do you see what angle the radii make with the sides of the triangle AB, BC and AC?

2. What standard formula do you know for working out the area of a triangle?

3. In the formula, what would your radius represent? (Consider 1.)

After you've considered these three questions, sum up the areas and equate it to what you got in part (a) :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by mickymouse1995

First express the areas of the smaller triangles in terms of r e.g. for triangle IAB the area is 0.5 x 4 x r = 2r. (r is the perpendicular height since you can see a right-angle).

Then the sum of the areas of the smaller triangles is equal to the area of triangle ABC, which is your answer to (a).

If you're still stuck, can you post all your working?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by notnek
First express the areas of the smaller triangles in terms of r e.g. for triangle IAB the area is 0.5 x 4 x r = 2r. (r is the perpendicular height since you can see a right-angle).

Then the sum of the areas of the smaller triangles is equal to the area of triangle ABC, which is your answer to (a).

If you're still stuck, can you post all your working?

Would it not be more difficult to do it the way you suggested?
The area of the constituent triangles of IBC wouldn't be so easy to work out because the radius doesn't intersect the midpoint of BC.
Reply 4
Original post by Khallil
Would it not be more difficult to do it the way you suggested?
The area of the constituent triangles of IBC wouldn't be so easy to work out because the radius doesn't intersect the midpoint of BC.

I'm not sure what you mean. Why would you need to work out the areas of the constituent triangles of IBC?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by notnek
I'm not sure what you mean. Why would you need to work out the areas of the constituent triangles of IBC?

Ah sorry. I misread your post. I thought you were recommending finding the area of the constituent triangles of IBC, IAB and IAC because I skipped over your working. :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest