The Student Room Group
Reply 1
*LoL*
any one can offer me some advice on STEP math1. i need to obtain a S.

STEP 1 isnt too difficult from my experience.
Reply 2
That's an unusual offer.
fishpaste
That's an unusual offer.

A very lucky one though, if the thread starter was being serious.
Reply 4
bono

Well it depends. If that offer was made, I'd imagine it was for somebody taking single maths only, in which case it's probably quite challenging.
Reply 5
i am BLOOOOOODY serious. give me some of your advice at least for the "serious" sake
Reply 6
You'll find this quite useful

http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/advancedproblems/src/master.pdf

Also try to wrestle some past papers off your college.
Reply 7
mik1a
You'll find this quite useful

http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/advancedproblems/src/master.pdf

Also try to wrestle some past papers off your college.

thatnks. that document looks very useful.
Reply 8
It sure is, I'm working through them. Finding it very hard based on P1 and M1 knowledge but I can do some of the ones that require less knowledge and more straighforward commitment. I think I managed to complete the simultaneous equations question and nearly finished the series one at the start, but for the rest I'm like "what on earth does ln mean?", or "cot^2x? eh?".

I probably won't take it, but I like the challenge because it'll all be useful practice whether I take the actual exam or not. Makes me feel like the maths I'm doing is really easy so it's a nice confidence boost as well. :smile:
Reply 9
mik1a
It sure is, I'm working through them. Finding it very hard based on P1 and M1 knowledge but I can do some of the ones that require less knowledge and more straighforward commitment. I think I managed to complete the simultaneous equations question and nearly finished the series one at the start, but for the rest I'm like "what on earth does ln mean?", or "cot^2x? eh?".

I probably won't take it, but I like the challenge because it'll all be useful practice whether I take the actual exam or not. Makes me feel like the maths I'm doing is really easy so it's a nice confidence boost as well. :smile:

ln is natural log. and is to do with e. so if u do ln(e) on ur calc u get 1 same as when u do log10 u gat 1 (log is log to base 10 while ln lis log to base e.)
cot=1/tan
cosec=1/sin
sec=1/cos
Reply 10
lgs98jonee
ln is natural log. and is to do with e. so if u do ln(e) on ur calc u get 1 same as when u do log10 u gat 1 (log is log to base 10 while ln lis log to base e.)
cot=1/tan
cosec=1/sin
sec=1/cos

Cool, thanks, but I've forgotten what e is again. :frown: I think my brain is like a bath, when you get in all the water overflows onto the floor and through the cracks in the floor and the wood gets all wet and you have to relay the floorboards and then there are drips in the kitchen below and you need a bucket to catch the water. Like what happened with our bathroom once.

There are some very strange coincedental parallels in life. :confused: :cool:
Reply 11
mik1a
Cool, thanks, but I've forgotten what e is again. :frown: I think my brain is like a bath, when you get in all the water overflows onto the floor and through the cracks in the floor and the wood gets all wet and you have to relay the floorboards and then there are drips in the kitchen below and you need a bucket to catch the water. Like what happened with our bathroom once.

There are some very strange coincedental parallels in life. :confused: :cool:

lol! I wouldn't worry about Logs and Exponentials as when you learn them in A2 maths (and physics for exponential growth and decay) they're quick to understand and I'm sure you'll catch on quickly! If you are interested in them though, I would look at Mathsnet (u kno the url!) or read through some P2 books (or even some physics txtbooks).

Btw, you remember you recommened a maths book to me on mathsnet that's designed for first year scientists? Well picked it up yesterday from Waterstones and it looks v.gd! :smile:
Reply 12
Ahh cool, the really large red/purple one? It'll probably be in that! I completely forgot, I was saving it for summer :tongue:

I'll have a look at mathsnet again, it's such a helpful site. :biggrin:
Reply 13
bono

Actually, I think I'd far prefer a 1 offer on STEP II than an S offer on STEP I. Just gives you a bit more leeway.

And if you're serious about doing well in STEP 1 if you're taking it in Year 12, you have to really read ahead and look at the integration and differentiation stuff particularly, as many questions will have a component of calculus in them.

Latest

Trending

Trending