The Student Room Group

When to take STEP exam

Hi, I am planning to apply to Cambridge this year, but I don't know when to take the STEP exam.
I would like to take STEP this year to put the results in my UCAS application, but I have heard that it is only possible to take STEP once you receive a conditional offer.
Could anyone clarify this doubt to me?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi, I am planning to apply to Cambridge this year, but I don't know when to take the STEP exam.
I would like to take STEP this year to put the results in my UCAS application, but I have heard that it is only possible to take STEP once you receive a conditional offer.
It's usual to take STEP with your A levels, after you've been given an offer.

It is possible to take STEP early, but it is not a good idea unless you're expecting to get a respectable grade - 1 or S. Have you already looked at papers / done some prep? You won't be able to do yourself justice on the exam if you haven't!

Note that even if you get a grade this year, Cambridge may still ask you to sit the exam(s) again with your A levels to ensure you can cope with the workload.

Also note that you'll need to find an exam centre (usually your school / college) where you can sit the exam and you'll need to check the deadlines for registering asap.
(edited 1 month ago)
It isn't recommended to sit STEP in Year 12 as you may be asked to retake next year. Are you likely to get at least a '1'?
Reply 3
Original post by chavvo
It's usual to take STEP with your A levels, after you've been given an offer.
It is possible to take STEP early, but it is not a good idea unless you're expecting to get a respectable grade - 1 or S. Have you already looked at papers / done some prep? You won't be able to do yourself justice on the exam if you haven't!
Note that even if you get a grade this year, Cambridge may still ask you to sit the exam(s) again with your A levels to ensure you can cope with the workload.
Also note that you'll need to find an exam centre (usually your school / college) where you can sit the exam and you'll need to check the deadlines for registering asap.
Thanks for the help! I am an IBDP student, and yes I have already started preparing for the exam. So there is still a possibility of repeating the exam next year even if I got a grade 1 this year?

you know if this also applies for MAT? Do I have to do it in October this year or next year after receiving the conditional offer? I believe both exams works for Imperial, as it is also one of my options.
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
It isn't recommended to sit STEP in Year 12 as you may be asked to retake next year. Are you likely to get at least a '1'?
I am only certain of a grade 2 for now...
Reply 5
Thanks for the help! I am an IBDP student, and yes I have already started preparing for the exam. So there is still a possibility of repeating the exam next year even if I got a grade 1 this year?
you know if this also applies for MAT? Do I have to do it in October this year or next year after receiving the conditional offer? I believe both exams works for Imperial, as it is also one of my options.
Not familiar with the MAT I'm afraid - it may be worth repeating your question in either the Oxford forum or preferably the Maths forum on here where there will be people who know the setup who can advise. I think in general you can't "carry forward" results so even if your could take either one early (STEP or MAT) you would then have to repeat in a "live" situation - in the case of STEP, with your A levels after having been given an offer.

I wouldn't attempt STEP early if you're not sure of a good result (at least a 1) - it doesn't look good if people try it early and come out with a low grade (2 or 3). You can always attempt a recent paper in timed conditions and check against the mark schemes if you want to measure your performance.
I am only certain of a grade 2 for now...
Don't take it then- focus on your A levels and STEP/MAT prep. Are you getting support from school?
Reply 7
Got it! Thanks again for the help!
Reply 8
Original post by Muttley79
Don't take it then- focus on your A levels and STEP/MAT prep. Are you getting support from school?
Not really, I am mostly studying autonomously
Not really, I am mostly studying autonomously
I would talk to them to see what help they will give.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending