The Student Room Group

To everybody who sat STEP in 2023... Where were you?

I just sat STEP 2 & 3 recently and was shocked at how few people there were sitting the exam with me. There were 3 candidates in my STEP 2 exam and I was the only one that also sat STEP 3, furthermore the invigilators told us that we were the only test centre in Scotland and that 'there were only about 20 or so people sitting the exam in London'. I get that Scotland is pretty small but the numbers didn't seem to add up to me, especially since no one in my cohort was actually applying to Cambridge. I was told that everybody who received an offer to study maths at Cambridge had to do STEP 2 and STEP 3... so did no one in Scotland get an offer to read Maths at Cambridge or was it mostly international students sitting STEP? or can you wriggle out of doing the exam somehow?

Sorry if I'm just being short sighted. I'd be interested to hear other peoples experiences!
I'm not sure BUT I heard from friends taking STEP that a lot of people sit STEP in school exam halls, if some schools don't offer this then they may sit it at a centre so that might explain the low numbers

I'm pretty sure all applicants (international or not have to sit STEP)
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by caveman12
I just sat STEP 2 & 3 recently and was shocked at how few people there were sitting the exam with me. There were 3 candidates in my STEP 2 exam and I was the only one that also sat STEP 3, furthermore the invigilators told us that we were the only test centre in Scotland and that 'there were only about 20 or so people sitting the exam in London'. I get that Scotland is pretty small but the numbers didn't seem to add up to me, especially since no one in my cohort was actually applying to Cambridge. I was told that everybody who received an offer to study maths at Cambridge had to do STEP 2 and STEP 3... so did no one in Scotland get an offer to read Maths at Cambridge or was it mostly international students sitting STEP? or can you wriggle out of doing the exam somehow?

Sorry if I'm just being short sighted. I'd be interested to hear other peoples experiences!

That can't be right - most people will sit STEP in their school: if it's used for normal public exams then it will almost certainly register for STEP if it has any Cambridge Maths applicants!
Reply 3
My son sat STEP 2 and 3 at his school, alongside people taking A-level exams in a different subject. This says that most candidates take STEP at their school: https://www.admissionstesting.org/for-test-takers/step/how-to-register/

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/sites/www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/undergrad_admissions_statistics_2022_cycle.pdf gives Cambridge's 2022 stats. There were over 500 offers for Maths, of which 363 were from UK schools; I presume all of those will have sat STEP unless they had sat it the previous year. But, for all subjects, there were only 41 offers to students living in Scotland.

Best of luck for results day - not long to wait now!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending