The Student Room Group

Concern regarding STEP 2023 preparation

I'm taking the STEP II and III this year and I've started preparing, admittedly, very late. I've only started preparing seriously around now (end of feb/early march) but I've done a some preparation previously on a much smaller scale (worked through some sheets on the step support programme and have done some STEP I papers). I have achieved 1/S in most past STEP I papers (I realize they aren't sat anymore) but my main concern is whether I'm too late for preparing for II and III. With what I've done, I can confidently answer at least 2 questions per paper but above that for some papers I find it a lot harder. Could anyone let me know if I am at a good level right now to maintain my current level of preparation or do I really need to start prioritizing it?

(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
Original post by zdooni
I'm taking the STEP II and III this year and I've started preparing, admittedly, very late. I've only started preparing seriously around now (end of feb/early march) but I've done a some preparation previously on a much smaller scale (worked through some sheets on the step support programme and have done some STEP I papers). I have achieved 1/S in most past STEP I papers (I realize they aren't sat anymore) but my main concern is whether I'm too late for preparing for II and III. With what I've done, I can confidently answer at least 2 questions per paper but above that for some papers I find it a lot harder. Could anyone let me know if I am at a good level right now to maintain my current level of preparation or do I really need to start prioritizing it?

You need to start prioritizing it. For STEP II and III, if you want to achieve at least 1, you'd need to confidently answer at least 4 questions per paper, preferably 5-6.
Reply 2
Original post by resk
You need to start prioritizing it. For STEP II and III, if you want to achieve at least 1, you'd need to confidently answer at least 4 questions per paper, preferably 5-6.

Alright, thanks - I’ve just been doing past questions atm not rly sure the best way to go about optimum preparation but i’ll see what i can do
Reply 3
Original post by zdooni
Alright, thanks - I’ve just been doing past questions atm not rly sure the best way to go about optimum preparation but i’ll see what i can do

Resources for STEP preparation:

https://maths.org/step/
https://undergroundmathematics.org/

There are preparation for STEP questions, and then extending on the STEP. I think this could work for preparation. But you have about 3 months, you need to be quick.

I hope you get the 1,1 you need.
Reply 4
Original post by resk
Resources for STEP preparation:

https://maths.org/step/
https://undergroundmathematics.org/

There are preparation for STEP questions, and then extending on the STEP. I think this could work for preparation. But you have about 3 months, you need to be quick.

I hope you get the 1,1 you need.

Ahhh thank you so much I'll get on them
Reply 5
Original post by zdooni

No problem. Update me on the progress!
Reply 6
Original post by zdooni

Also, some Universities do STEP preparation webinars if you are holding an offer that requires STEP.

Last year, Warwick did some and Cambridge ran sessions for state educated applicants.

maybe contact the university to see if they are holding any webinars or help sessions?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by zdooni

Are you getting support from school? If not then ask for it.
Reply 8
Original post by Muttley79
Are you getting support from school? If not then ask for it.

Always worth a try, but my daughter found last year that her teachers weren’t able to do the STEP questions.
Original post by 202628
Always worth a try, but my daughter found last year that her teachers weren’t able to do the STEP questions.

:eek: I teach in a state school and find that pretty shocking
Reply 10
:eek: I teach in a state school and find that pretty shocking

It is a well respected state grammar school, high up in the league tables too.

Sounds like you are able to provide support to your students, which is great :smile:
Original post by 202628
It is a well respected state grammar school, high up in the league tables too.

Sounds like you are able to provide support to your students, which is great :smile:

A graduate Mathematician should be able to tackle them ...
Reply 12
A graduate Mathematician should be able to tackle them ...

I’m not sure what that says about her teachers then!

My partner has a maths degree from over 25 years and found that he had forgotten quite a lot and had to refresh his knowledge before he could help her :biggrin:.
Reply 13
@Muttley79

If you are interested, I spoke to my daughter and she said that most of the other students on her maths degree course said that their teachers weren’t able to help them with STEP preparation, but that a few students did get a lot of help from teachers.

it seems that good teachers can make all the difference to their students, so your students are very lucky to have you :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by 202628
@Muttley79

If you are interested, I spoke to my daughter and she said that most of the other students on her maths degree course said that their teachers weren’t able to help them with STEP preparation, but that a few students did get a lot of help from teachers.

it seems that good teachers can make all the difference to their students, so your students are very lucky to have you :smile:

I am surprsied that a GS maths department can't help though.

Has she seen this: https://www.admissionstesting.org/for-test-takers/step/preparing-for-step/

It links free online support
Reply 15

I am surprsied that a GS maths department can't help though.

Has she seen this: https://www.admissionstesting.org/for-test-takers/step/preparing-for-step/

It links free online support

Thanks, but she sat the STEP last year and is now in her first year of a maths degree at Cambridge.

I mentioned that her school wasn’t able to help because I thought it would be best to let current STEP students know that school teachers can’t alway be relied upon for providing STEP support.
Original post by 202628
Thanks, but she sat the STEP last year and is now in her first year of a maths degree at Cambridge.

I mentioned that her school wasn’t able to help because I thought it would be best to let current STEP students know that school teachers can’t alway be relied upon for providing STEP support.

Hope she is enjoying it :smile:

Hopefully the OP will come back and see the links @zdooni
Reply 17
How did u guys find it
Original post by YGSK
How did u guys find it

it was ok. I answered 5 questions solidly : 1, 2, 4, 7, 9. Struggled the most on 7. also couldn't do the last part on 2

Quick Reply

Latest