The Student Room Group

A2 Biology Discussion and Help

Scroll to see replies

MUSCLE CONTRACTION HELP!

How do you know the difference between A band, I band, Z line etc What do they mean????
can anyone please solve these 2 with full working out its from aqa biology unit 4 june 2014
Original post by medactuary
MUSCLE CONTRACTION HELP!

How do you know the difference between A band, I band, Z line etc What do they mean????

A sarcomere is the area between the two Z lines.
The I band is the area with only the actin filaments.
The H band is the area with only the myosin filaments.
The A band is the area where you have both the myosin and actin filaments.

When the muscle contracts, the whole length of the sarcomere decreases, as the actin filaments slide over the myosin filaments. The length of the I band and the H band decrease. The size of the A band however stays the same, as the length of the myosin filaments doesn't change.
Original post by AnnekaChan173

A sarcomere is the area between the two Z lines.
The I band is the area with only the actin filaments.
The H band is the area with only the myosin filaments.
The A band is the area where you have both the myosin and actin filaments.

When the muscle contracts, the whole length of the sarcomere decreases, as the actin filaments slide over the myosin filaments. The length of the I band and the H band decrease. The size of the A band however stays the same, as the length of the myosin filaments doesn't change.

Thank you so much! You managed to make that 1000x easier than anyone else has ever made it out to be aha
Thank you so much! You managed to make that 1000x easier than anyone else has ever made it out to be aha

No problem :smile: good luck! Which exam board are you doing? I think with most of them that amount of detail is ok
Original post by AnnekaChan173
No problem :smile: good luck! Which exam board are you doing? I think with most of them that amount of detail is ok

OCR :smile:
OCR :smile:

Same :smile: that should be ok.
Photo 25-05-2015 08 51 39.jpg
Original post by m.ahmed1213
can anyone please solve these 2 with full working out its from aqa biology unit 4 june 2014
Is there a thread for unofficial mark scheme for biology A2 EMPA? I've been searching for ages, I just want to know whether or not my answers aren't completely bogus. Haha

I did it ages ago
What does it mean to say an ecosystem is dynamic?
Guyssss helppppp. Basically with the resting potential it is said that most of the ion channels - both sodium and potassium ion channels are closed but I don't understand it when it says that the membrane is more permeable to potassium ions doesn't that mean that the potassium ions channels are open - it did mention that some channels can be open or closed but I saw this question and it wanted to know whether the potassium / sodium ions channels are open or closed during resting potential and the mark scheme said potassium ion channels are closed. Will we only refer to the opening of potassium ions channels when it is trying to establish a resting potential so repolarization but on the whole when it is at resting potential then both sodium and potassium channels are closed? Btw I'm AQA
What does it mean to say an ecosystem is dynamic?

I think this means that the number or biodiversity for example is at a equal establishment ie there is no input of organisms and exit
Original post by joannaly246
Guyssss helppppp. Basically with the resting potential it is said that most of the ion channels - both sodium and potassium ion channels are closed but I don't understand it when it says that the membrane is more permeable to potassium ions doesn't that mean that the potassium ions channels are open - it did mention that some channels can be open or closed but I saw this question and it wanted to know whether the potassium / sodium ions channels are open or closed during resting potential and the mark scheme said potassium ion channels are closed. Will we only refer to the opening of potassium ions channels when it is trying to establish a resting potential so repolarization but on the whole when it is at resting potential then both sodium and potassium channels are closed? Btw I'm AQA

During resting potential the aim is to get a negative charge inside of the neurone so
- Na+ ion channels are closed - so we say the membrane is less permeable to Na+
- The Na+ K+ pump uses ATP to actively pump 3Na+ out of the neurone and pumps 2K+ into the neurone
- BUT it wants a negative charge inside the cell so we need to get rid of those positive K+: so we have K+ channels open so the K+ diffuse out
During resting potential the aim is to get a negative charge inside of the neurone so
- Na+ ion channels are closed - so we say the membrane is less permeable to Na+
- The Na+ K+ pump uses ATP to actively pump 3Na+ out of the neurone and pumps 2K+ into the neurone
- BUT it wants a negative charge inside the cell so we need to get rid of those positive K+: so we have K+ channels open so the K+ diffuse out

Omg thank you so much! But on the whole you would say that at a resting potential stage majority of the channels are closed hence the question I mentioned before right?
Original post by joannaly246
Omg thank you so much! But on the whole you would say that at a resting potential stage majority of the channels are closed hence the question I mentioned before right?

No probs! I'm not sure about the majority because I don't know about other ion channels. But for definite most of the Na+ channels are closed and voltage gated K+ channels are closed too (only the normal K+ ion channels are open)
Reply 375
Anyone else got the problem where you answer a question and the answers they give are nothing like what you've written? I'm not trying to be funny, but I have this as a particular problem for bio as the mark schemes seem particularly pedantic
Am I the only one doing Edexcel here? I don't have a specific academic question, but A2 Biology papers are so demoralising! Concepts are straightforward compared to a lot of subjects but the papers make me feel I'm the most useless person on Earth.(yeah yeah I just need to get over myself. I am prepared and stuff stressing out really limits what I really can do). Also, why are Unit 5 grade boundaries higher than Unit 4 ones when it is so much harder?
Reply 377
Yeah i know exactly what you mean ^! I feel like I understand the subject but the papers are too awkward
anyone who does edexcel , do you know how to print the past papers from june 2013 onwards without the "draft exemplar " red watermark ??
Hi,
Does anyone have any advice for photosynthesis & respiration application questions? I'm resitting y13 and I couldn't get my head around questions to do with this then and I feel I'm still the same now, & I'm the same with writing answers to look at the mark scheme to find something totally different is there any way to judge what they actually want from you?! I hate AQA😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending